Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Talk me out of this
garyinseattle - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 11:20:30 am
I have been the happy owner of a base 05 Boxster for the past 4 years. It is one of 3 cars in my household, and is my daily driver. My round trip daily commute was 35 miles, but I moved 2 years ago, and now it is only 5 miles. I drive to work, and the golf club, so I am never in the car more than 10 minutes at a time, and rarely get above 45 mph. Total annual miles are now about 3K. I love the car, and it is perfect for what I use if for....but, I got the bug a few months ago, and started looking at late model 911's.

I don't need a new car, and being a previous owner of a C-4, I know I will miss top down days, and the fun that comes from mid engine and light weight performance. Talk me out of this.
Talk you out of which
Boxsterra - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 12:14:30 pm
Getting a 911 or getting rid of the Boxster?

How about just doing the former and not the latter?
Re: Talk you out of which
tom coughlin - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 1:56:52 pm
OK what about the golf clubs? Even if you store them at your golf course, sometimes you wan to play somewhere else.

My clubs are in the Boxster rear trunk. Where do they go in/on a 911? Tom
Re: Talk you out of which
lacleven - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 2:18:07 pm
keep the boxster!
experience and handling and lighter weight then stay with the Boxster.

Or if you can do it, keep the Boxster and buy a 911. (I kept my 02 Boxster even though I bought an 03 Turbo.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Talk me out of this
garyinseattle - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 2:22:21 pm
I was interested in hearing from members that have both. That is an option financially, and garage space wise, but the pragmatic side of me says I don't need both for the limited amount of driving I do.
a Porsche and no one needs a 2-seater roadster. So if you want to be pragmatic drop the idea of a 911 and sell the Boxster and buy something more pragmatic.

Seriously, I like having two cars to 1) spread out the miles on the cars; and to 2) have a known car as a back up when the other's in the shop. The Boxster is getting a bit long in the tooth and while it still runs good it has been in the shop more this last 12 months than all the previous years (since '02) of its life.

Since I no longer qualify for a loaner when I take a car in I'm on the hook for a rental car if I didn't have a second car. My situation doesn't lend itself well to not having a car at all or trying to rely upon public transportation to get around while a car is in the shop. In my cases, it is just easier for me to receive a very convenient shuttle ride to my house and jump in the other Porsche than it is to wrangle a rental car at some rental car office.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
you should definitely qualify for a loaner. My dealer still gives me a free overnight loaner for my 97 and it does not generate dealer revenue anywhere near the amount yours has.
db997S - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 2:40:51 pm
If it were me, I'd keep the Boxster for a couple more years then look at 2009 or later 911s, due to the IMS being designed out of the engine and the DFI. I'd be hesitant to own two Porsches with IMS in the engine.

If you did a lot of track days/DE/Autocross, then maybe keep one for that type of activity. Otherwise, the guilt you'd feel looking at one collecting dust isn't worth it, which you sound like you already have with the Boxster. It would double with another car. You should enjoy these machines, not have anxiety about them. Mine always washes my troubles away.

About keeping both, I'd feel guilty about having two very expensive cars in the garage that I barely drive. The cost of the annual physical for both, the insurance, the depreciation, etc., doesn't justify it. Low mileage cars that aren't driven long distances/fast (you said rarely above 45 mph) are usually more costly to own. The old saying, never buy a car that was only driven by a little old lady on Sundays to church was stated for a reason. You need to get out on the highway every so often and let the engine warm up and burn off all that junk and moisture collected from slow, short drives.
frogster - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 4:47:44 pm
I don't understand what driving so little has to do with switching to a 911. while reading the post, i thought you were going to say that since you're only driving 3k miles/year that you were going to sell the boxster. but you're really saying that you want to get a 911, or are at least toying with the idea.
i am obviously biased but if i still had my boxster, i don't think that i would want to sell it to buy a 911. If i had to sell my boxster (like i did), i would consider buying a 911 rather than another boxster (OMG, did i just say that?!?! winking smiley )
i guess it all depends, how badly do you want a 911?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I have a '98 boxster and a '02 911
Sheriff John - Thursday, 7 July, 2011, at 4:48:45 pm
Well, my son has the boxster now, but I repair the Boxster...go figure.

There are 170 k miles on the Boxster and 53k miles on the 996

I don't play golf, so can't help with your club issue. I owned the Boxster for 11 years and put 150k miles on the car. I loved my Boxster, I don't love my 996. However, The 996 is more prestigious, has more power and I think looks better. The 996 goes faster and takes the turns better. It's a great car and I enjoy it. The Boxster, as with most open topped, mid engined, underpowered cars, are great fun to drive. I was able to use the Boxster at it's full capability, or near it's capability fairly often. I've rarely, if ever, taken the 996 to it's limits.

You have to please yourself. The Boxster is more fun to drive, but I moved closer to the city, my son needed a car and giving him the Boxster tightened our bond. I got a great deal on the 996 and the snob in me likes the status that comes with the 911. OK, I admit it, I'm a porcupine! smiling smiley

It comes down to what you want and what are your needs are at the moment.

In a few years I'll probably sell off the Porsches, get a hose down version of a Honda Element and a power boat so that I can play with the grandkids.....

SJ
asking your priest if you should pray.

Keep the Boxster. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login