Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
cigarette lighter plug replacement
boxsterd - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 1:13:25 am
I got the cigarette lighter and plug/housing upgrade from Suncoast for my '01 Boxster but I have no idea how to install it. Does anyone know? Below is a link to the parts.

TIA.

[tinypic.com]
try this.................
Harvey in FL - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 8:55:55 am
-Pry off the switch panel
-Unplug the cigarette lighter plug from the back
-Hold the trim ring part while twisting the cigarette lighter cylinder to unhook the tabs
-Push the cigarette lighter cylinder out the front of the trim ring (it's pretty tight so you have to push hard)
-You can now pull the trim ring out (have to tilt it a little because the light is attached to it

Installation is very straightforward. Put the trim ring in, then slide in the cigarette lighter cylinder. Put the electrical plug into the back and snap the whole plate back in.
One caveat
Boxsterra - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 8:59:04 am
Don't put together the new cylinder and trim ring until it is in place around the plastic dash piece. Once you put the new parts together it is (possible but) very difficult to get them apart.
Re: try this.................
boxsterd - Tuesday, 12 July, 2011, at 7:41:44 pm
Based on what I could tell, that would involve removing the CDR-220, correct? If that's true I'm taking it to the dealer.
on some MY, the panel is one complete horseshoe. In other MY's, the panel is 3 pieces... a horseshoe and a wing overlaying on each side. Simple DIY, just follow the directions above and use a butter knife (covered w/ electrical tape) or a plastic trim panel removal tool to pry the trim off and you'll be all set. In either case (panel trim) there is absolutely no need to remove the radio.

smiling smiley
Burg is correct
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 13 July, 2011, at 6:58:45 am
but even if it did involve removing the radio, that takes about 5 seconds with a $3 radio removal tool.
Re: Burg is correct
boxsterd - Thursday, 14 July, 2011, at 11:58:38 pm
Here's a pic of the plug and radio next to it. Do you still think I won't need to remove the radio?

It's a separate piece, really *NM*
Boxsterra - Saturday, 16 July, 2011, at 8:01:01 am
Re: Burg is correct
CarreraLicious - Saturday, 16 July, 2011, at 10:41:33 am
I've done this, and you definitely do not need to remove the radio. It is a biatch to get the old plug out though...took me a few seconds to get the panel out...it just pulls out, but the plug is hard to remove. There are instructions on how to do it on Renntech.org. Just do a search on cigarette plug removal there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login