Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Flashing coolant light
sdm100 - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 11:42:47 am
Off to Lime rock this week noted that the coolant light was flashing. Had done my spring coolant flush with the vacuum device, held pressure well and no apparent air bubbles. Topped it off and drove for about 1 hr before light came on. Stopped took cap off replaced and light off for just a short period of time. Have not seen any coolant leak, coolant level is good, trunk is dry. Using second generation cap. So questions is what could be the cause of the light going on? Appreciate any insight
If the coolant level is good...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 12:02:33 pm
... then the problem is the level sensor or it's connection.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: If the coolant level is good...
Eric in Dallas - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 12:06:10 pm
Doesn't an engine bay fan failure cause that light to flash?
Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: Flashing coolant light
sdm100 - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 3:18:45 pm
can this be determined by a code reader??????
No...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 3:56:38 pm
... you have to troubleshoot it.
You can lightly tap the sides of the coolant reservoir to see if the float releases and/or you can test for the engine vent fan (right side) to see if it cycles on when hot.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Brasco - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 8:05:52 pm
I had the exact same thing happen to me about 2 months ago.
Light was flashing after a cold morning start, so I knew for sure it was not over-heated. Temp was at lowest
position, at the time that light was flashing. So over heating was ruled out. This went on for days, sometimes light flashed,
and sometimes normal. Although fluid level seemed good, I added about 1/2 quart to it, and light does not flash any longer.
Brasco - Monday, 11 July, 2011, at 8:22:33 pm
I was looking in the archives posted by Boxsterra on April 18,2011, 7:30pm. It says......
When it is flashing it means the coolant reservoir is low or the engine cooling fan is not working.
When it is solid, its overheating.

Hope this helps.
sdm100 - Tuesday, 12 July, 2011, at 10:09:53 am
Fluid was low, as it fluctuated not sure why...(not sure maybe air bubble surfaced eventually) Added some distilled water with water wetter coolant additive. Will keep an eye on it. My coolant cap ends in 01 so might order up a newer version. Thank you all for your help
cars). Coolant tank (Boxster).

My advice is to replace the cap. Clean the tank opening where the cap attaches thoroughly to remove any coolant residue and to ensure the cap seats/seals properly.

Then keep a close eye on the coolant level. There may be *two* leaks. The cap and something else.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
ryebread - Tuesday, 12 July, 2011, at 5:29:05 pm
Pull up the trunk carpet and check for coolant in trunk. The coolant reserviors develop leaks often. I just replaced mine and it is a real PITA job. Here is the link to replacement instructions: [www.pedrosgarage.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login