Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
NEXT
dak911 - Wednesday, 13 July, 2011, at 6:50:13 pm
Well, it's gone...an offer I could not refuse but it figures just a few weeks before the Parade.
So now the search begins for what I really want...993 Cabrio tiptronic at least now "she" will do some of the driving with this car...
Anyone know of one locally?
Should I say congrats?....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 14 July, 2011, at 9:39:17 am
... or are you in mourning?
I'll try to find you a Green/Beige, TIPTRONIC, 993 Cab.
Happy Waiting,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 09:39AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Re: NEXT
db997S - Thursday, 14 July, 2011, at 1:57:41 pm
I'd start doing some research. While people call the older 911s bullet proof, like all Porsches, they have been know to have common issues during varioius production runs. Some of these are well documented. Within the past year or so, I think it was Pano Magazine that did a pretty good write up about buying older Porsches and the common problems for each model year. They were really frank about them, too. There could be certain model years to steer clear of all together due to widerspread problems, or just enough of an issue to highlight certain areas for a trusted mechanic check before buying. Things that you can relate to on this board with the AOS, Top mechanisms, IMS, etc. With older cars, however, there are other things like rust, dried out seals, etc. The last 993 rolled off the line in Stugart, what, some 13 years ago. The first rolled off 18 years ago.

The Tipronic is going to narrow that search even further, and may present other problems on its own. I also noticed you put that word in smaller font size. My second Boxster was a Tip so that my wife would be able to drive it. I always used it in manual and thought it was perfectly fine. The PDK is worlds apart, but the Tip in manual mode in the twisties was just as grin worthy. Purists think that the 993 was the last of the real Porsches, and how dare you do something like put an automatic in it. If you can get past that, you should enjoy the Tip.

Happy hunting.
Have you driven the TIP?
Red_Lightnin! - Thursday, 14 July, 2011, at 3:50:48 pm
I think for street driving, it's just fine. But I have seen them, been in them and instructed in them for Track and AutoX and - yuck! - particularly the earlier tips are pretty cranky for performance driving. The later 986/996/987/997 versions have a much better shift program. That being said, for street driving, cruising, having fun, it's a very good, very reliable transmission. I would just be wary if DE and AutoX are on your activities list.

The 993s are pretty bullet-proof cars - it was the penultimate air-cooled 911 design, and they have worked out many, many of the kinks. Some things to be mindful of on the air-cooled motors:
1) Valve guides. Particularly in higher mileage cars, this is the #1 reason for air-cooled 911 motor rebuilds
2) Seals and gaskets in low mileage cars - they tend to dry out when not driven regularly, and can give you problems
3) C4/C4s - I don't know if the 993 uses the same torque tube system as the 964, but they can be very, very expensive to replace/repair if they go bad

This being said, the 993s are pretty awesome and as a result, expensive compared to a 996, or even a used 997. But definitely worth it for the right car.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Re: NEXT
Alcantera - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 9:10:33 am
I am also a fan of the 993 the car has the great engine block, enough of the new car creature comforts of the new cars and a timeless shape. The only problems I see is used parts are getting hard to come by. We delivered a rebuilt motor on Friday , IT took us almost a month to find an engine block to replace the damaged block from the original motor. We looked at the Hershey swap meet for 993 parts and found very little. We found the same at the Stoddard swap meet, parts sold fast and for a long dollar. We sold our last front bumper last week and we are out of many pieces. Don't let this deter you just be aware that down time may be longer than usual. I have my eye on a nice pale blue 993 with low miles Every time I mention the car my wife asks why I would want an older car. I just love the look of the 993 turbo with the tail with the side vents. The used turbos are worth more than the 996 turbo cars and seem to be appreciating
Currently have 155K and enjoying every mile. I figured since I planned on driving it as often as I could, why pay for the low-mileage premium? I upgraded all the wear items anyway (PSS9s, adjustable swaybars, RS clutch with LWF flywheel, etc. etc.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login