Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Scenic drives in Arkansas
goldened - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 12:03:10 am
Going to spend a couple days with my wife in Hot Springs Arkansas. We will have a couple of days to tour around in the Boxster. Suggested drives and sites?
Museum of Automobiles
Laz - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 12:46:06 am
In or near Petit Jean State Park. Nice collection and the area is pretty.

[www.museumofautos.com]

Take a look at the Exhibits page, it's pretty impressive. I think one of the cars was owned by Gary Cooper. Funny thing, it has a '76 Porsche. I was there back in '74, so I'm beginning to feel like a museum piece myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 12:47AM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Scenic drives in Arkansas
FrankZ, Chicago - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 12:56:13 am
Perhaps you don't have enough time for this drive at the moment... but, this is a terrific drive for any driving enthusiast.

Highly recommended... a fabulous 4+ hour (193 miles) drive for any vehicle, especially P-cars, top down... scenic (Ouachita and Ozark National Forests), twisty, roller-coaster ride from Hot Springs, AR north to Eureka Springs, AR (a really beautiful town built on the hillsides w/more twisties... great escape for anyone... with excellent lodging, dining, shopping, the arts... and just plain superb sight-seeing!!! Did I mention the twisty, roller-coaster drive?

Try it, you'll absolutely love it!
Have fun on your trip... even if you don't drive the route this time around.

193 mi, 4 hours 10 mins
Hot Springs, AR> AR-7 N > AR-21 N> Eureka Springs, AR

'01 boxster s, biarritz white/metropol blue, 123,456 smiles...
of that drive. Very nice. Very curvy in places. Very scenic.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Dale_K - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 1:59:48 pm
I live just north of Hot Springs, in Hot Springs Village. I heard from somebody that the automobile museum near Petit Jean park had closed. It's still a very nice trip from Hot Springs up Rt 7 (wave as you go by my place) and north through Ola. Stop at Nimrod Dam on the way. Rt. 7 was built by CCC crews in the 30's, similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Anyway Petit Jean park has some nice views. You could go over to Mt Magazine and get some more views. Here's a couple pics.

Petit Jean overlook

Marker at purported Petit Jean gravesight.

Rt 7

The museum link I provided indicates it's still open.
Laz - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 2:43:52 pm
And yeah, Petit Jean is very scenic, especially considering how the landscape is all flatlands for many miles around. If I remember correctly, I camped overnight in the park.
goldened - Friday, 15 July, 2011, at 11:49:06 pm
Thanks for the input. I think we will take in at least some of this route. Any other suggestions welcome.
Re: Scenic drives in Arkansas The route we took.
goldened - Saturday, 30 July, 2011, at 8:16:01 pm
After the suggestions given here and other research this is a recap of our trip.

We headed out of Hot Springs North on Scenic 7. It was still cool enough to have the top down as we carved our way north, having the road to our selves to Fourche Junction (not Porsche Junction). Turned off at the Nimrod Lake Dam for some photo opportunities. Back North on 7 for a few more curves to Ola. Then, east on 10 to 155 to Petit Jean Park. Stopped in the Ranger station(the only place the Radar Detector went off all day!) for a few pointers then around some more curves for some nice 50 mile over looks. North out of the park to 22 for lunch at Captain Hamms for some pulled pork in Dardanelle. Off west on 22 which is mostly straights with little traffic to Paris. South on the 309 that snakes its way up Mt Magazine in Ozark national forest. Beautiful views and a great Lodge over looking canyons. This looks like a great destination in the future. Though none were seen on this day, there is a hang gliding launch site there. Further South we cruised down 27 to Hurricane Grove where unfortunately we experienced a 15 rain shower. Then wrapped up the great day driving back east to our Bed and Breakfast in Hot Springs on 270. A total of 288 miles. Enjoyed 7 and 309 the best where the Boxster shines brightest and there was almost no traffic to blaze through at a desired speed. I think my lovely wife only used her Imaginary Passenger brake once!

Our trip out of Hot Springs back south home to East Texas was enjoyable as well taking 7 to Camden then 79. and meandering our way on on home through the corner of Northwest Louisiana taking no interstate was fun.

Next time will take this similar adventure in the Fall or Spring to allow for full "Toplessness" as the temp reached 101!

Thanks for all for the suggestions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login