Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
filter metal
Nashhorn - Monday, 25 July, 2011, at 10:42:22 pm
So I finally examined the oil filter closely and see some tiny metal hair like particles. Maybe 1/4 inch - 3mm in length and thinner than a human hair - very hard to see, on maybe two three filter ripples. This is off my 2005 S with 40,000mi. Love the car, scared about what this might mean after reading this board on all the 'issues'. Bought the car in Nashville Dec 2009 and have put almost 10,000 mi, changed oil twice, just cause wanted too. Resides in Houston - sooo cool here right now! Would sure love some of those new ventilated seats.
First post - hey ya'll.
Re: filter metal
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 7:36:48 am
That's not a good omen.
Take yogur filtre to a knowledgeable tech.
There shouldn't be any metal shards in the filter.
You have to determine if they are aluminum or ferrous.
I would not recommend driving it until you determine.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 8:03:57 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
You have to determine if they are aluminum or ferrous.
I would not recommend driving it until you determine.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

So, did the same on my engine this past weekend and found a few. Haven't driven the car yet and thinking about what to do. They look more like aluminum but I haven't tested with a magnet yet.

I'm assuming the ferrous is a potential bearing problem and aluminum is something else. If so, what could be shedding aluminum?

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
db997S - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 8:31:34 am
Sorry to hear about the metal in the filter. Trade it in for a 2010 if you can find one still on a dealer's lot. The ventilated seats are well worth it. Love mine. Even with top up and AC on, if I'm driving any distance, I'll put mine on low setting. It just sucks the heat right away from your body.
Nashhorn
So I finally examined the oil filter closely and see some tiny metal hair like particles. Maybe 1/4 inch - 3mm in length and thinner than a human hair - very hard to see, on maybe two three filter ripples. This is off my 2005 S with 40,000mi. Love the car, scared about what this might mean after reading this board on all the 'issues'. Bought the car in Nashville Dec 2009 and have put almost 10,000 mi, changed oil twice, just cause wanted too. Resides in Houston - sooo cool here right now! Would sure love some of those new ventilated seats.
First post - hey ya'll.

and not making any abnormal noises the metal may be nothing more than the normal shedding of metal engines do, even engines with 40K miles on them.

If you want to go to the trouble with this oil/filter change drive the car say a few hours or even less. Remove the filter housing and dump the oil and filter into a *clean* drain pan. Examine the filter and the oil carefully. If you see more of the same type of metal.... that could be early warning signs of trouble.

If you don't see any more metal then replace the filter with a new one and the filter housing o-ring with a new o-ring and install the filter and top up the oil if the level is low.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks all. This actually occurred a few months back. After stewing over it and wondering what to do, if anything, (don't know why I did not think to put on the board then, probably afraid) I just started driving car again. Haven't noticed anything but I could never be called one who really puts the car through its paces by any stretch. I can say no smoke, and no leaks. Think I will take filter in and ask to have checked. I remember at the time thinking I should run magnet over it but cannot remember if I did, and if I did if they stick or not - don't think they did because I remember thinking they were aluminum. Really has caused my spirits to sink a bit.

Would love to trade for new one with the ventilated seats and have sorta looked for an 09 to come up but have not seen anything so far. Wife probably would freak out anyway, she's wanting to replace her Rx 300 with a 350. At least she doesn't want a new one, just newer.

Oh, only time it made any 'noise' was once I had to go over 2 weeks before I could drive it and I noticed was a bit noisy at start up. Went away immediately but I noticed it and attributed it to oil draining down from sitting so long.
at any time. You might think they'd run out but there is a lot of aluminum metal surfaces in the engine and any of these surfaces can shed a tiny flake of metal. This tiny flake or piece of metal will go through at least the high pressure oil pump and then it ends up in the oil filter housing oil or lodged in the filter element. It can look like a lot of metal since the tiny piece gets smashed thin as foil (or thinner) from going through the high pressure gear oil pump and then the thin and delicate flake comes apart into several pieces.

If you are finding ferrous metal in the filter oil or filter element or other stuff besides just a few tiny flakes/pieces of aluminum then you can worry.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks for the positive thoughts Marc. Took car out for an hour or so today, been probably 8-9 days and felt great. Everytime I get in that car I remember just how much I enjoy it. Work has been a real bugger last 6 weeks so time with car has been a cherished reward the few minutes I can get. I am going to take your suggestion and remove filter and check for any metal - more or less than last time - and then run a magnet over anything I find. To repeat, what I saw looked like metal hairs, maybe half dozen in three or so filter waffles, very small, very thin, probably 3mm long and thinner than an human hair.

Sure do enjoy this board. Can't wait for some rain (not to drive in) and some cooler weather - to drive in.

Hookem
One thought.
grant - Saturday, 6 August, 2011, at 3:09:52 pm
The OEM hecht filter have some kind of sparkly appearance when they have been subjected to oil. Its nto metal in that case.

Aside from that i have never ever seen ANY metal of any kind in any of my filters. Its not a good thing, although it may not be a catastrophe.

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login