Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Transmission overhaul (continued)
Dwass - Thursday, 28 July, 2011, at 4:58:46 pm
Hey everyone,

I hope you're having a great day so far, I've been busy researching and checking over plans for my upcoming project. I realize my last thread is getting buried and rather long to read through. Here is the condensed update. I am about a week away from starting the project on my 2000 2.7 Boxster so I would like to make sure that I am all set with what I'll need. So far, you have all been a tremendous asset and so helpful with your advice and knowledge. I have arranged to do my transmission work at a service shop that allows rental of a service bay with tools included, special tools will still be needed. Here is the list of parts I have ordered and am about to order. The items I have received so far are in bold. Questions are in blue.

Boxster Parts list (Updated):
Boxster Service Manual (from Bentley Publishers)
Clutch Kit (clutch disk, throw-out bearing, pressure plate)
• Clutch assembly parts (to address creaking from bell housing area, TSB release [www.pelicanparts.com]) **
 996 116 712 04 Release lever (modified)
 996 116 716 02 Ball journal
 996 116 741 00 Retaining spring (clip)
 996 116 743 00 Sealing ring
 000 043 205 10 Optimol MPO
 000 043 024 00 Olista Longtime 3EP
**Need help/advice here: I believe I have made an error, these parts appear to be for the Boxster S models (MY00-04) and 996 only, the 6-speeds. I have a noticeable creaking sound when I depress my clutch to the floor. Should I get the specific 986 5-speed parts? OR do you think all I need is grease/new clutch + bearing to solve the problem. The replacement parts are only around $50, so the additional cost isn't too terrible considering everything else.
Flywheel
Flywheel Lock (thank you for recommending this, Por911(bc)!)
Bolts (clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate...etc)
RMS (x2) (I'll have 3 after I get the IMS kit from LNE)
• IMS kit (LNE)
• IMS tool set (LNE)
AOS (it did not come with clamps, do I need to get new clamps?)
Oil filter
Oil drain plug gasket
Filter wrench
• Motor mount (new version with 987 in part#) (Should I reinforce with flexane?)
• (Do transmission mounts contribute to the 3,000 RPM vibrations as much as the motor mount? Would you get them? )
• OTC Engine Support Bar (#4324) (Will use wood or micro-fiber towel for support in rails)

Every part listed is Porsche OEM.

I can't seem to find what sockets I will need to remove the bolts in the Bentley manual. Por911(bc) mentioned a 17mm. Can anyone confirm what else I'll need? Walmart has a http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-11-Piece-3-8-Torx-Bit-Set/14146076]torx bit socket set[/url], will this suffice?

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support so far!

I'm hoping to put the order in soon for the remaining parts. Thanks again!!!!

-Dwass
Answers...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 28 July, 2011, at 6:17:22 pm
... to the questions in blue:

• AOS (it did not come with clamps, do I need to get new clamps?)
You can reuse the same spring clamps. They don't loose their tension.

• (Do transmission mounts contribute to the 3,000 RPM vibrations as much as the motor mount? Would you get them? )
Neither transmission mounts nor engine mounts contribute to the 3000 RPM vibration.
That vibration is a harmonic intrinsic to the engine.
The harder mounts such as racing ones will transmit more of the vibration to the cabin.
You do not need to reinforce the Cayman Front Engine Mount. Porsche is using better material now.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Answers...
Dwass - Friday, 29 July, 2011, at 5:12:51 pm
Thanks Pedro!

Well, I think I'm all set! As soon as the last few parts come in I'll start the work.

Thanks again for everything, have a great weekend!!!

-Dwass
On the same topic, but regarding fluids
Dwass - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 8:46:40 pm
What trans fluid do you recommend I use? I know you like Swepco 201, Pedro, but I can't seem to find it anywhere locally (Chicago). Is there anything that I could buy local that's comparable? I have just about everything I need and I might be starting the work this Thursday. Also, I have not used my car for any track or autocross (yet), its primary purpose has mostly been year round driving with temperatures ranging from -10°F to 110°F +/-.

Appreciate your advice!

-Dwass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 08:47PM by Dwass. (view changes)
This is my other choice for gear oil ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 10:41:10 pm
[www.liqui-moly.de]

[www.liqui-moly.de]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: This is my other choice for gear oil ...
Dwass - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 5:14:20 pm
Thanks Pedro! I'm going to see if anyone around here has it!

-Dwass
Re: On the same topic, but regarding fluids
dghii - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 10:45:41 pm
I just purchased the Porsche gear box oil from Suncoast in Sarasota. Suncoast is the only dealer I could find that would sell in individual liter quantities $28/liter (cheapest I could find btw). All other dealers offered 20 liter drums!

The S takes 2.8 liters while the base takes 2.25 liters.

I did the drain and fill last Friday afternoon. Nothing to it

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: On the same topic, but regarding fluids
Dwass - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 5:15:25 pm
Thanks for the tip! Glad to hear you had success with it.

-Dwass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login