Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Tire Gauge
p-wagen - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 5:17:13 pm
Any recommendations on a good reliable tire gauge? The two gauges I currently have are the older "ruler type" and have quite a disparity between them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 05:18PM by p-wagen. (view changes)
Re: Tire Gauge *NM*
p-wagen - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 5:18:34 pm
Re: Tire Gauge
p-wagen - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 5:27:36 pm
Digital or Dial? Is one better than the other?
986rgt - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 6:35:31 pm
If you want to spend the money, get an dial guage, but you are gonna pay for accuracy, and you will need to be careful with it to not knock it out of spec. I have 2 digital pressure guages I got at sears, and they will replace them with new calibrated digital ones when the batteries die. Both of them are pretty close, a couple tenths between them, and get pretty consistent results. Unless You are a professional driver trying to get a certain pressure for the track, I would say go with digital.

2 cents!

This is the one I have:
[www.sears.com]

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
I have this digital one from Longacre Racing...
patrick - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 8:15:11 pm
Actually I have the older version of this one. It appears that they made some improvements in the newer offering. I have had it for many years and really like it.
I particularly like the easy to read dial, long hose,quality fittings and rubber around the gauge for protection.
[www.longacreracing.com]
Longacre Racing...
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 9:00:39 am
I use the liquid filled gauge after reading many comments on another web site..... one of the reasons was....

"All pressure gauges - liquid filled and regular - need to be vented to the outside to read accurately. If not vented, as the surrounding temperature changes, they will build up pressure inside and affect the accuracy - by as much as 2-3 psi!"

So I went with this model......

[www.longacreracing.com]
What are the advantages of liquid filled gauges?
Laz - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 11:47:54 am
Is it like liquid filled magnetic compasses? (Damping needle oscillations.)

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Capt Ron - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 11:16:33 pm
I have this one from Griot's Garage Works well and has been reliable over three years. Bleeds pressure with a partial squeeze of the handle, too.

If you're really bored you can confound Griot's customer support by calling and asking if said gauge is accurate when used on tires filled with 100% Nitrogen, as it has a (very) slightly different static density than air.
p-wagen - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 8:19:59 pm
Thanks to all for your inputs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login