Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My 2000 S just hit 180K miles (130K on the engine) and I am taking it to my indie for an oil change etc. I want to tell him what oil to use and it got me thinking. Didn't Porsche change its oil recommendations for my car? Why? By the way, I tried the 0 weight Mobil 1 for a bunch of years as I think that is the newer recommendation and I get oil drips. On the last two, I told my indie to put some heavier stuff and now I haven't seen a spot in 30K miles. Why? Is this stuff that different from each other?
I highly recommend ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 1 August, 2011, at 10:52:35 pm
... Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage for any car subject to cooler climates, no matter the mileage.
In warmer weather 15W50, so it's what I put in my car, as well as 20W50 Racing.
Here's an article I wrote last year, which will provide additional information: [www.pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
the climate changes, like here in Hot/freezing New Jersey. I personally use either 5w40 or 10w40 from either Castrol, Mobil (high mileage), or Shell Retella (T6 - cheap and lots of anti wear additives). But we all make way too much of oil, and its more important to ask things like " are you racing?" etc. For really hard, hot use - put in thicker oil. For cold climates and a daily driver (put put) thinner is fine and lubricates more quickly.

Thinner recent recommendations are sinister - an attempt to get by with oil that improves fuel economy.

Grant
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Laz, I think you are just wanting to see the sparks fly! Instead of inviting a debate on the merits of 30 weight, why not ask their opinion on the shear strength of titanium headlight bolts?smoking smiley
I tried them bolts...
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 12:36:37 pm
When you over tighten the headlight bolts, as I did, your blinker fluid refuses to fire properly. I am not a fan.
Re: I tried them bolts...
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 1:45:53 pm
Bruce In Philly (175K+)
When you over tighten the headlight bolts, as I did, your blinker fluid refuses to fire properly. I am not a fan.

If you blinker fluid wasn't firing properly, I bet your weren't using an N rated version.
Re: I tried them bolts...
IFlyLow - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 2:43:54 pm
The only difference on the N rated ones is the N rated price tag!
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login