Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Considering a base 2014... Input appreciated.
wewannaporsche - Sunday, 25 August, 2013, at 8:15:40 pm
I currently drive a 2002S and the new base Boxster has better performance, at least on paper. The link below will take you to the porsche microsite and my configuration. It is pretty cool I had the full screen 3D version rotating on my monitor all weekend, it looks great.

2014 Base Boxster Configuration

The car will be a daily driver, same as the current car. 10,000 miles a year, rain, snow, sleet....

Your input is appreciated:

1. 20 inch wheels, does anyone regret getting these over the 19's?
2. Amber orange - I would like to break up the monochromatic interior and the orange inserts look good in pictures, I hope they still look good after 10 years. The pebble gray is too light and the green wouldn't go well with Agate, imo.
3. Not heavily optioned - I am questioning the infotainment pkg.
4. PDK - Got to have it so that my wife is able to drive the car. Tried to teach her to drive a stick in my Z3 and the car wound up hitting the neighbor's house. My fault not hers, minimal damage to house, none to Z3 due to a well placed shrubbery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 08:16PM by wewannaporsche. (view changes)
Re: Considering a base 2014... Input appreciated.
MikenOH - Sunday, 25 August, 2013, at 9:05:55 pm
I like the Carrera wheels but $3K+(going from 18" to 20" ) is kind of pricey; I like the Cayman 18" wheels Joanne got on her car and I think they ran about $300.

I never tried the infotainment but for what you get, it seems pricey; the system on our RAV4 which has a smaller screen but sirius radio, HD radio, 200W, Nav and other stuff ran $1100 and works great.

The convenience package:
If there would have been a way of going just with the heated seats, I'd have done it and saved the money. The factory wind blocker inhibits vision to the rear; I pulled it the first day I had the car and haven't put it back in. The dual HVAC controls--in a car this size--I think are a waste.

I like the base car with a manual, but if your wife needs an automatic I don't think you'll be unhappy with it.

Think about the sports steering wheel--I think it's a big improvement over the stock wheel-- and paddle shifters to go with it if you think you might want to drive the PDK in a sporting fashion. Also, don't forget the smokers package--$0--it gives you a 12v outlet right where you need one.

The agate is a great looking color; I have not seen the amber orange interior on a car so I cannot comment how it might look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 09:06PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Laz - Sunday, 25 August, 2013, at 9:27:56 pm
If you have cold hands in cool/cold weather, you might consider the heated wheel: don't need gloves on, making it easier to manipulate the radio, HVAC, etc.
Don't know your location, but if you intend to drive in snow or even dry -45ยบ temps, consider getting aftermarket wheels and snows. As for something that's available in the configuration, PTV will add an extra measure of safety.
19" wheels instead? Those 20" wheel spokes are beautiful, but the 19s' have a subtle resonance with other body elements. The cost saved there partially mitigates my suggestions. Also, although I can't recall if others have gotten 20s without PASM, but at its normal setting it can adjust the suspension to being softer than stock, thus making the 20s ride better.
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 25 August, 2013, at 11:33:50 pm
Here's my input, but have only had the car a couple of days and only have 200 miles on my car:

I am glad I got the base and not the S. I had a 99 Boxster. I didn't use all the power the car had and felt that there is so much more HP in the 981 that if I got the S, I would not use it all. In just driving today, I tried a few things, but the roads were too crowded to really get to do what I wanted.

I did get the Cayman wheels and like them much better than the Boxster wheels, well worth the $300. I really like the 20 in Carrera wheels (would have been my choice) but could not justify the difference in cost.

I haven't seen the orange, so unable to comment

I like the infotainment system. I'm quite impressed with the sound. Wasn't expecting it. I was on the freeway and had a classical station on, I could hear the flute clearly (my own personal test). They downloaded the contacts from my phone into the system. WOW, my car knows who I'm talking to and who's calling me. I'm surprised with everything it does. They don't tell you all the little things and it's been an entertaining day.

As for the convenience package, I like this as well. I also got the lighting package, so I don't know the difference as to which lights come with which package, but the lights are incredible. When I pull in my garage the lights come on which have been helpful so I can see the distance for parking better (I don't know how I did it before). When I get out of the car, some of the white lights come on and stay on for awhile, really nice for moving around the car. Great safety for me..... Being I'm in SoCal haven't had to use the rain sensors or the other features.

To go with the infotainment system I got the multi-function steering wheel..... I love this feature!!!! This may be a good option for your wife. It's very easy to use. For the phone I can get a person's phone number without my hands leaving the steering wheel and just look at the gauges (not the console). Well worth the $415. Can also access the Nav and see temps and pressures.

I also got the ventilated seats. I have been told numerous times this is a great option. It hasn't been hot enough here for me to use it.

I did get the PDK and really like it, especially in the bumper to bumper traffic here. If your wife needs it to drive the car, then get it. Wouldn't want her to miss the driving experience. What was nice was when I put the sport mode on, could really tell the difference and hear the engine more. I tried the manual shifting but wasn't too good at it, forgot to downshift, just don't have a feel for it yet.

Joanne
but, did you get the lighted vanity mirrors as part of one of the packages you included?
My wife brings this up every time we get in the RAV4--which has them as standard equipment sad smiley
That was difficult to order
Joanne in OC - Monday, 26 August, 2013, at 11:06:35 am
You cannot order them alone. Has to be ordered with partial leather interior, not just partial leather seats..... The lighted mirros are part of the lighting package, which I like, cost about $300. But, you have to add the partial leather which is another $500. I don't know what 1 has to do with the other, except that you have to pay more. I really wanted the lights, so I ordered and paid for both options. I do like the extra lighting in the trunks and footwells.

I called so many people about it. Spoke to numerous sales managers at different dealerships. I couldn't get 2 dealers to agree. I called PCNA, they kinda knew, but again, they weren't sure and referred me to the Regional Sales Manager. He looked into it and the above is what happened. This is the answer PCNA gave me. No one could answer "why".

I thought it would look silly with the partial leather since it's just leather here and there. Actually, can't really tell. It does have the smell of all leather, so that's nice. The leather seems to be in places where your hands or arms would rest.

I like the lights, must be a girl thing smiling smiley

Joanne
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 11:45AM by Laz. (view changes)
Their marketing research might've found that a customer willing to go with either would spring for the other, even with leather being a much bigger expense. And profit for Porsche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 12:03PM by Laz. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
wewannaporsche
I currently drive a 2002S and the new base Boxster has better performance, at least on paper. The link below will take you to the porsche microsite and my configuration. It is pretty cool I had the full screen 3D version rotating on my monitor all weekend, it looks great.

2014 Base Boxster Configuration

The car will be a daily driver, same as the current car. 10,000 miles a year, rain, snow, sleet....

2. Amber orange - I would like to break up the monochromatic interior and the orange inserts look good in pictures, I hope they still look good after 10 years. The pebble gray is too light and the green wouldn't go well with Agate, imo.
4. PDK - Got to have it so that my wife is able to drive the car. Tried to teach her to drive a stick in my Z3 and the car wound up hitting the neighbor's house. My fault not hers, minimal damage to house, none to Z3 due to a well placed shrubbery.

with the 19's and 20's and see which size suits you. (I know this is against the trend to bigger and bigger wheels but I'd consider going with 18's. I really like the original Cayman 18"s wheels. My Cayman S came with these and they were my favorite Porsche wheel.)

While I am in the camp of buy the car you want weird interiors don't play well with most folks. But if you really think you'd like it well, buy the car you want and if that includes orange inserts... Me I like a good old traditional black leather interior.

I'd opt for the auto climate heater/AC system. 'course I assume cruise, on-board computer, variable intermittent wipers, and those fantastic bi-xenons come standard now. If not check the boxes. Heated this and heated that doesn't float my boat but your missus will probably like the heated seats. The short time I had my Cayman every time woman got in the car on a cold/cool day she'd flip on the heated seat switch. And when I'm in the vehicle of women that's one of the first things they turn on.

As for infotainment, I fail to see the benefit of an infotainment system in a Boxster. The car is the infotainment.

NAV is a tougher call. NAV goes out of style, becomes outdated the instant it is installed in a car. But I do like NAV and use an aftermarket one, but some people do not like the cables so a built in NAV system has the attraction of keeping the cabin from looking like a audiophile's hobby room.

Last, if I was spec'ing a new Porsche, I'd consider PCCBs too.
The seat can be kept hotter to the point of sweating, yet the moisture is drawn off. Warm and dry is the way to go in cold weather. Oh, and an advantage of heated seats (and steering wheel) is that it makes for more comfortable top down driving in the colder months.
Also, the seat ventilation makes for less AC use, especially with the top down. Using AC and seat ventilation with the top down makes for some very comfortable summer driving.
Keep in mind the ventilation is drawing air out of the seat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 12:07AM by Laz. (view changes)
grant - Monday, 26 August, 2013, at 8:57:40 am
wewannaporsche

---GFL--> No BTDT but larger wheels increase unsprung weight; reduce the sidewall; and raise the cost of tires. There is some evidence the effect on performance is negative (C&D test years back)

---GFL--> no opinion

---GFL--> IN general aftermarket infotainment is superior and certainly so per dollar. If the stereo is any indication you can do MUCH better yourself.

---GFL--> And, while not my preference as a purist, the PDK is superb, and much better at shifting than i am. But now you will be shiftless.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Kite Pilot - Monday, 26 August, 2013, at 10:46:18 am
I also suggest getting the muli-fuction steering wheel, I use it all the time and with the PDK I find that I rarely shift myself and when I do it's usually not as good as the PDK.

Rather than the infotainment system you can get the Bose and satelite radio for less. The new 981 Bose is way better than the old radio.

The PDK was the one unexpected suprise for me in this car, I've always been a manual guy, but it's amazing.

I have 20 inch Carrera S wheels and don't regret it, but the other wheels are very nice too.

I thought about the dual color leather interior, but decided against it. There's enough features (bright shiny silver stuff) to break it up.
Good advise, Kite!
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 26 August, 2013, at 11:05:30 am
The infotainment system is not needed and it's GPS stinks. The Bose alone for $700 is fine when it's set up correctly, if that's what you want. Get the Smoker's Package; it's free and you'll need it for your hard wired, cheap, and much better Garmin Nuvi.

I have 20" wheels and regret not getting 19" wheels. A complete waste of $ for someone trying to order a 'lightly optioned' Boxster, and with as many miles as you'll put on, replacements will save you a bundle.

Joanne is right about the light package. It will really come in handy. I'm not certain if bi-xenons are standard with the 2.7L...but if not, they should be.

I've seen the orange interior and it's not bad, but the pebble gray really isn't too light and it's stunning.

Did MarcW really suggest PCCB's???? - wow!

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
So the only way to get Zenons on the base Boxster is to get them with PDLS.
Here's the Lights page (U.S.) The Canada page reads the same.
[www.porsche.com]
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 12:48:27 am
Looks like you've got lots of advise already, but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth too, since I just went though the same process as you're doing. I used that configurator a LOT, along with test drives.

1. 20" wheels - I really like my Carrera S wheels, no regrets what so ever. If I had it to do over, I'd buy them again. But, I'd really recommend that you take one with 20" wheels for a test drive and see how YOU like them. I like a firm (not harsh) ride. Everyone's butt has a different sensitivity. Take a look at the Cayman wheels, they're a similar design. I think they look really good on Joanne's car. Advantage would be less expensive replacement tires. And of course, you'd save money on the wheels too.

2. Interior colour is such a personal preference, get the colour(s) that you like the best.

3. Infotainment system - if its the NAV that you want. I'd get a Garmin Nuvi. It's more versatile. You can get a good one starting at about $200, which includes free lifetime updates, Traffic and allows you to plan trips on your computer and input them to the Garmin - non of which can be done with the much more expensive NAV system (you can get updates, but they're expensive.)
If it's the upgrade stereo you want, why not got with the Bose?

With money you'd save on the Infotainment system, you can get the Xenons with PDLS and still have money left over. (That's the only way you can get Xenons on the base Boxster, since halogens are standard). First time you use the Xenons at night, you'll know they're worth every penny. I would not buy any car without them.

Convenience package is nice for the heated seats. They really make the car more comfortable on a cool day with the top down (or in Winter of course.) On a trip we just completed, my wife really liked setting the temperature warmer on her side than what I had it set to. Nice feature. I'd also get Pedro's TechNoWind to replace the center screen in the windstop. It makes a big improvement in reward vision.

Good luck with your decision and ordering. Exciting times.

Can't wait to hear about and see what you get.
"On a trip we just completed"
Roger987 - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 8:00:52 am
Pics please, in a new thread.

(Surely, you took one or two) winking smiley
Yeah. Your shots are always good. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 9:53:00 am
Input evaluated, decision made and the winner is.....
wewannaporsche - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 4:50:19 pm
First off I would like to thank everyone for their input, the info provided was appreciated and valuable. Even Mark's suggestion to get the PCCB brakes made me question do I need bling and comfort or do I want a hardcore Porsche. I know I would never out drive the standard brakes so I scratched that one. smiling smiley

What I finally came up with was:

Agate Grey Boxster
Agate Grey/Amber orange leather package
Infotainment w/Bose
PDK
Smoker's package
Model Delete
Convenience Package
Heated Steering wheel
Park assist
19 inch Boxster S wheels

Went to the dealer with my print out and my 2002S. We discussed prices, delivery, trade in, etc. all in all a pleasant experience.... Sorry to see the old girl go although this pic is from 2009 she is still in great shape.

Then my wife and I started looking at the Caymans, and the sales person suggested we take one for a drive. It had the 20" inch wheels and I took it on one of the bumpier roads in the area; I found it firm but not harsh. The thought of something different was intriguing and the car looked fantastic. So this is what we came home with.

Agate Grey Cayman
Standard Black interior
Infotainment
Convenience
PDK
Sport Chrono
20" Wheels painted platinum
Oh and colored Porsche Wheel centers

Final thought... Although I never rode in or looked at the second generation of Boxsters/Caymans I have to say that the look and feel of these 3rd generation cars is great. A glove box, what luxury, what innovation!
Re: Input evaluated, decision made and the winner is.....
m4240z - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 5:07:54 pm
Sweet looking selection. If the Cayman had a sunroof, or even better a targa top......
Congratulations on what was a good joint decision. You certainly have had enough time with the open car experience to know how enjoyable it is. I'm glad to see another former Z3 owner around here. I just bought our 2010 Boxster in April, and my wife has grown to love it. She never did take to the Z3. She is attracted to the styling of the 981, so I think that we will probably end up with one in a few years. Oh, and she insists on a manual transmission, so the right used 981 might be hard to come by.
SteveJ,

Just curious how did you know i was a former Z3 owner? I guess there are no secrets on the Internet smiling smiley Here's a pic of the Z3.

Sitting close to the back axle
Low doors - you could comfortably rest your arm on the door.
5 speed
Wheels - BMW OEM were from BBS, the finish was excellent, when I got the 2002 Boxster I was somewhat disappointed with the finish, Porsche forgot to paint the backside of the wheels!
Haunches - Like the Boxster and now the Cayman powerful haunches

Dislikes
Axle tramp - mid corner bumps used to bounce the back end
Seats - not too comfortable
My wife was too short to fully depress the clutch

Here's another favorite, where I am hanging out the window of the Beetle

My Father - who used to let me sit on his lap and steer
Riding in the cubby behind the back seat
Those bumpers, those hubcaps!

Simpler times
You mentioned you had a Z3 in your first post. I've developed lower back problems over the years and couldn't sit in the Z3 for more than an hour without getting out. No problem with the Boxster. The newer Boxsters have the top which is so easy to raise and lower that it's almost as quick as working one of the door windows.

Steve
Looks great!
Laz - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 5:24:57 pm
Maybe it's the lighting, but the wheels look close to body color. Either way, they won't be showing brake dust as readily. The color wheel centers will offset the monochrome of the body color/interior, and they create a link to the red (they're in there, right?) calipers, and somewhat to the taillights. I mention this in that although my Boxster is Agate with blue top and interior, I felt the color centers were "necessary" for the aforementioned reasons. Somebody will tell you to get the white side markers. The dealer might do it for free.
Re: Looks great!
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 5:32:29 pm
No red brake calipers on the Cayman - only on the S.
Thank you, GiO & wwp. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 11:14:32 am
Congratulations
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 5:28:53 pm
Great looking car. I'm sure you will love it.

You're right about the switches and interior fittings of the new 981 and 981c. They have a quality feel about them. You'll find there are a lot of new features that you didn't have before. It will take you a while to learn about all of them. Glad you love the glove box, just don't spend too long looking for the spare tire. winking smiley

Would love to hear your impressions after you've had a chance to put a few miles on it.
Re: Input evaluated, decision made and the winner is.....
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 5:45:35 pm
You and your wife are the winners....the Cayman is beautiful! Best of luck with it.

Like. *NM*
MarcW - Thursday, 29 August, 2013, at 7:14:03 pm
Congratulations on your decision smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 1:07:25 am
It's so hard to make a decision, but when you do, it's a great relief and a lot more fun!!!! smiling smiley

Now you enjoy your new ride hot smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Joanne
Thank you... How did it go with the Xpel/3M film?
wewannaporsche - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 10:33:18 am
I am considering getting bumper, fenders, half the hood, lights and mirrors covered. I did have it on the Z3 and it prevented chips.
Re: Thank you... How did it go with the Xpel/3M film?
MikenOH - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 10:51:39 am
wewannaporsche
I am considering getting bumper, fenders, half the hood, lights and mirrors covered. I did have it on the Z3 and it prevented chips.

We've got the Xpel on our car: bumper, partial hood/fenders/mirrors/door edges and sills--it has worked fine--you can barely tell it is on the car.

BTW, congrats on the new car--it looks great, best of luck with it.
Can't tell it's on smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 30 August, 2013, at 6:01:57 pm
I got the full hood and full fenders, bumper and mirrors. I looked at a lot of cars, took lots of recommendations. Decided on Xpel. .... can't tell it's there, people look and still can't see it. After I've driven awhile, I'll be able to tell you about lack of chips. So far the experience has been good. The guy who did is very personable and helpful......

I decided to have my windows tinted and he did those. Problem is, his installer failed to tell him the glass in the back window of the Boxster is more flexible than last year and need to keep the top up for 2 full days. So, there is a crease in my back window. He's going to redo the back next week. I want my car for the weekend and be able to put the top down.

Joanne
them....it only took him a year to finally buy a clear wind screen from Pedro. eye rolling smiley

There's a thread about it on P9.

Great looking Cayman, enjoy it! *NM*
DougW - Saturday, 31 August, 2013, at 10:11:15 am
Norm in NC - Monday, 2 September, 2013, at 4:41:38 pm
Congrats on the Cayman!

I'm still driving my 02 base. I remember at the time I wanted a few amenities that came with the S model, but couldn't justify the $6000 extra. Instead, I had the dealer install litronic headlights, dimming interior mirror, and for $300 he added the computer readouts. I changed the radio as well.

For 11 years my garage has been telling me to get rid of the old headlights and radio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login