Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
ignition/key problems - advice/ideas wanted please
cld3316 - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 4:55:59 pm
I have a 2002 Boxster and am having problems with the key and ignition. This just started happening and I have had no previous problems. What is happening is that the key is difficult to get in the ignition. Once I get it in and begin to turn it, it seems to be under a spring pressure and turns to the right. It doesn't turn far enough by itself to start the car. When I shut the car off, it is difficult to get the key to turn far enough to the left to the full off position and when I take the key out, the chime continues to go off as if the key is still in the ignition. I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday but would like to have as much information as possible going in. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? I would prefer to take it to an independent shop but this doesn't seem like a typical problem. Any thoughts on where to take it? Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas on this.

I have read Pedro's DIY but it seems very odd that the electric switch would be causing the symptoms I am seeing. If it is the electric switch it looks like something I would tackle myself - I would love to avoid a trip to the dealer!

also posted this on rennlist
Re: ignition/key problems - advice/ideas wanted please
Dwass - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 5:46:37 pm
Last year at this exact time I had the same issue and thought the same thing as you!!!!!! I went to the Audi dealer and got the part for about $30. It only took a few minutes to fix it myself. Good as new!

You may have some difficulty laying on your back and reaching up under the dash, but it's honestly not that bad. I really had to fix mine because it wasn't allowing the car to fully power it's systems (headlights wouldn't turn on! It was strange to say the least!

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Good luck!
+1 What Dwass said
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 7:35:56 pm
The electrical portion of the ignition switch can cause all kinds of different electrical gremlins, like lights not turning off, doors refusing to lock and difficulty getting the key out of the ignition.

The part is the same as the Audi part, so can be bought much cheaper there.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: ignition/key problems - advice/ideas wanted please
cld3316 - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 12:45:09 pm
Thanks for the input. I am going to replace the electronic part first and see what happens. Just to provide some information, I called the dealer (they are both Audi and Porsche) and gave the Audi part number and was given a price of $49.95. The dealer is about 75 miles from me so I ordered from Pelican for $11 and also got a serpentine belt and oil filter and 1 day shipping and it will still be cheaper than if I had gone to the dealer.

On another note, I saw my engine for the first time today while checking the serpentine belt. I used Pedro's DIY instructions and it was pretty darn quick. I didn't want to be one of the 50% in a tech session who had never seen their engine. I didn't find the straps to hold the rear portion out of the way but the window stayed up and it wasn't a problem. Again, I can't say enough about this community and the knowledge base but more importantly the willingness to share that knowledge. It definitely makes owning one of these cars less stressful for me.

I will let you know how replacing the part goes.
NM *NM*
cld3316 - Thursday, 18 August, 2011, at 12:46:59 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 01:02PM by cld3316. (view changes)
My two cents worth...
dghii - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 3:08:04 pm
I've owned my 2000 Boxster S for about 3 years. The car has been great but didn't have many service records available with it. Not long after I purchase the car, I added an ignition switch as a 'just in case' to an order I was placing online for some other odds and ends.

Well, last Friday my car gave the first symtom of an ignition switch problem...the radio would not turn off after I removed the key and the chime to remind you to remove your key or turn off your headlights was chiming when my door was open, even though the key was not in the ignition, nor were my lights on.

"No problem" I thought, feeling pretty dang smart, having been so proactive in previously ordering a replacement switch, and still being able to find it in my garage after three years.

Sunday I figured I'd take an hour and tackle the job. Well, it turns out that my entire ignition switch assembly must have already been replaced once as the part specified for my car did not resemble the one I removed, nor did it work when installed. Luckily, I shot the switch I removed with contact cleaner and reinstalled while awaiting the correct part (from a 2004 and up Boxster) and it now works correctly. I picked up a new part today at NAPA ($13.76)and will install it at some point when the bruises on my back heal from Sunday's work.

Before you start, you might want to crawl under your car, and remove the horizontal A/C duct and see what switch you have...yours should be black. If it is white (like mine), it is from a later year car and you need to order the same kind. Sorry but I don't have the P/N's handy. They are referenced on Pedro's DYI write up.

I had a heck of a time trying to loosen the top set screw while laying on my back. I couldn't see the set screw and when I was on it, i could not generate enough torque with the jewelers screw driver to turn the darn thing. I finally gave up and removed the left vent assembly and its A/C duct, which made access much easier.

Get a variety of small screw drivers to mess with...a stubby flat head with a decent handle works best. I ended up using a screw driver that I added some 'ears' to with JB weld, which made it much easier to turn.

Good luck.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: My two cents worth...
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 7:11:05 pm
I did this job on my 2001 a while back. Had the same symptoms as the OP describes. I found this ratcheting nut driver from Lowes helped get that tiny screw out when all others failed:

Another little trick that helped me position myself to get access to the area:
Open the drivers door. Place a hard plastic adult beverage cooler next to the door sill. Plant butt on said cooler and lay your back on the drivers foot well area. It's still a PITA (or back) but it provides some comfort as you contort to get access.

Good Luck!

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
That tool looks great...
dghii - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 11:29:51 am
...I'll have to look for it next time I'm in Lowes.

I got a set of jewelers screwdrivers from Dollar General...nothing wrong with them, just couldn't get any torque on the handle, given the tight working space.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Installation complete!
cld3316 - Thursday, 18 August, 2011, at 1:03:27 pm
Well I did the installation this morning and it was pretty much a piece of cake once I squeezed into the car. Jeweler's screwdriver worked perfectly. Hardest part was getting a hand up there to loosen the screws. As soon as I replaced the switch, the key moved exactly as it is supposed to. I never would have believed that it was this switch based on the 'symptoms' I was experiencing. Thanks to everyone for the help!

One thing that did happen is that the battery discharged before I could replace the switch - I assume from the key not turning the car completely off when I removed the key. No problem jumping the battery and everything seems to be working fine - the radio didn't even need reprogramming. However, now the passenger window is completely unresponsive. I am going to do a search about this issue and see what I can find but I wanted to thank everyone for helping with the ignition switch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login