Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
ADMIN! - Marketing Questions ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 2:32:25 pm
... to all PB Members.

As you know we set up the TireRack Banner (above) to generate a small commission to the Board with every purchase made through the link.
There have been a total of 2 orders placed through the link since we started the program back in 3/24/11 (5 months ago).
We had calculated that the average PedrosBoard member would purchase a set of tires every 2 years.
With the membership that we now have, that should be more than 1 order per day.
Supposing that we only entice 10% of you, we should get 3 orders per month, so something is wrong.

Apparently, this is not something that the membership uses (and/or wants).

So the question is:

Should we drop the TireRack banner and replace it with a standard sponsor's banner?
If so, which sponsor do you propose?

We have pledged not to crowd the board with banners (only 2 at-a-time) and only 4 sponsors.
Thanks for your input.

The Admin Team

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Marketing Questions ...
SRG - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 4:25:11 pm
I actually tried to use it a couple of months ago. I called T R because I had some questions, and placed the order on the phone. I told the guy about wanting to order to go thru Pedro's Borad, but I don't think they could do that over the phone. I suspect many of us like to call and talk to a live person and that may be reducing your numbers.
Michael SYS Driver - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 6:28:11 pm
I think it is a good idea since most of us have more then 1 car. or do we use this only for our Boxster's? Be that as it may I was going to use it but I forget when I ordered some tires for another car I have.
jwdbox - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 5:06:19 pm
Hi Pedro,

I would certainly consider using TireRack (I have in the past). However SilverBox does not need tires anytime in the near future. My gut feel is that the new set of tires every two years is not reflective of the average (and non tracking) member. cool smiley
Even if it's ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 5:14:25 pm
... every 4 years, the numbers are still way off.
If most people are calling TireRack on the phone to place their orders, then we need to drop the banner because we'll never generate enough commissions that way.
It's good feedback we're getting.
Thanks.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 7:42:22 pm
I wonder how the mechanism really works. Suppose someone goes to tirerack.com and browses around a bit. Later they go to PB and click the banner and buy. Does PB get a commission for displaying the ad that was clicked? Maybe it only goes to PB if the user hasn't previously visited TR and gotten a TR cookie on their machine, or something like that; if so, that could eliminate almost all commissions. Long ago I signed up for a TR affiliate ad on my web site since I had a slow stead amount of Boxster traffic, and I did think the whole thing was too opaque to have much trust in. Saw no results, canceled it because I realized I was just cluttering up my site and giving TR free ad display space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 07:43PM by Trygve (Alameda, CA). (view changes)
Supposedly ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 9:15:42 pm
... when you finalize a purchase through the link is when PB gets credited with the commission.
As we stand right now, we're wasting space and giving TireRack free ads.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I guess I was one of those two orders, Pedro...
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 7:42:36 pm
...but it was only for one tire.

I'm certain most realize you're not required to order just because you talk to TR. Hang up and order via the banner link.
readers who derive value from this site could make occasional 'voluntary' personal contributions to the Board via Paypal. I've seen this on many other forums, and it's no big deal. I think times--and attitudes--have changed to the point where you might be shocked at how many folks would be absolute happy to contribute.

Rick
Thanks, but...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 9:18:01 pm
... no thanks.
PB has to stand on its own.
From day 1 I've committed to not taking membership dues or donations.
Other boards may ask and accept donations, but not this one.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Very easy to forget!
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 8:04:21 pm
For a start, let's make sure somebody reminds the OP of any tire questions thread...
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 9:26:34 pm
I would use it when I'm in the market. I had to purchase two tires this summer from TR, but couldn't use the link since it was an insurance deal. It would be nice if TR could provided a way for members who order via phone or other link to acknowledge PB as a "I saw your ad here" or enter PB as a code during the ordering process.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
I don't see the ad
JM-Stamford,CT - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 9:53:55 pm
My browser does not display the ad.

In fact, the only thing I get - even if I scroll over it - is a text which says the link will generate a small commission.

If'n the ad doesn't display you are not going to get hits.
Do you see the other banners? *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 10:04:59 pm
Pedro Bonilla

People who have ad blockers don't see the ad
Boxsterra - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 10:53:36 pm
but all ad blockers allow you to easily make exceptions on a per-site basis.
Noticed something similar in pandora
JM-Stamford,CT - Monday, 22 August, 2011, at 10:00:10 pm
My browser doesn't play the ads - or I don't get them.

If I am on chrome or IE I get them.

I also notice that I cannot display PDF documents in Mozilla. That's why I go to IE.

Similarly, I cannot sign into various sites, notably the court websites. This is obviously critical for me.

Perhaps it is an add on that is blocking the stuff -- If I have it others do to.
IFlyLow - Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, at 9:17:03 am
When the time comes, I will use the link, for all of my cars. I have used Tire Rack extensively in the past, because of their awesome customer service and fast delivery. I just haven't ordered since you put up the banner. Also, like someone suggested, all members could help out by simply reminding anyone who posts tire questions that the banner is there. It is so small that it is easy to forget.
Tire Rack is only 1 of my choices
garyinseattle - Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, at 11:05:20 am
I have to admit that up until 7-8 years ago, I bought everything through Tire Rack, especially when I lived in smaller cities. Now, it seems that the local tire dealers in Seattle are matching the TR price. Discount Tires in Bellevue always come within a couple of bucks of the TR price. I have 3 cars, and buy a set every year for one of them. At times, DT actually pulls up the TR pricing, tells me what it is, then matches or beats it.
Most tire places will install TR drop shipped tires
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, at 7:03:47 pm
That way you get the good price and you support the board.
I would love to support PB, but
grant - Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, at 11:28:22 am
I have used TR many times over the years. Great selection, helpful, good info, good prices.

But, i have also received 17 (!!!) out of round tires from them. The cost in time, arguing, roadforce balancing, documenting the condition, etc was monumental, despite the fact that TR always, in the end, after much discussion, made good.

I cannot say why. But when i go locally to Euro tire, stuff always spins true.

So i simply wont buy from them any more. Its too painful.

I would certainly support other vendors via this. It would be best if all we needed was to click through - but then could call and interact directly. e.g.; Pelican parts, others.

Grant
Re: I would love to support PB, but
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 24 August, 2011, at 12:44:45 pm
That's weird because I've bought more than 50 tires from them and had only 1 problem with 1 tire.
All of the tires I've bought are Kumhos. First the Ecsta 712, then the Ecsta SPT and the Ecsta XS.
The one I had a problem with was due to road debris that broke an internal cord and the tire bubbled.
I've been very happy and satisfied with their service and products.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

years ago with Firestones (no comment); recently with Bridgestone RE960s, then with GoodYear GSD-3s (close, but no cigar).
I still have 1 OOR Dunlop WinterSport M3 that was on the rear and i only found out about too late. So i RFB'd it into mostly submission.

All the OOR tires ultimately had to be measured, on a RFB device, at my expense, to prove they were out of spec.
Only then was i reimbursed. TR refused to spin them before shipping when i suggested that solution. Interestingly, with the Bridgestones all the "bad" tires were stamped "made in Japan" and had the same date code, while the good ones were stamped "made in Mexico" - so it was likely a bad run in that instance. But AGAIN, they refused to pull only Mexican tires. They preferred to issue a complete refund. That tells me they can only deal with standard processes and high volume - quality be darned.

You can imagine that as much as i like their prices and selection, i have no desire to waste my time with aggravation.

I am fussy, and my Audi is very, very sensitive. But still - Euro tire has no trouble. At least so far.

So - my point is "don't put your eggs in one basket". Offer several options - most of us want to support you and this forum - but I'd rather mail you money than cause myself aggravation (which costs me even more)

I would also arrange a method where click through is not required, but we merely specify the referral method. I bet you have leakage due to that.

Grant
I placed an order ...
DOCinMD - Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, at 1:06:35 pm
... on June 30th after clicking on your banner. Did this register as a sale for you?
Yes...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, at 1:45:03 pm
... thank you.
The report doesn't say who or how much, it just says that a sale was registered in that month.
I'l probably supplement it with a banner from another vendor so we can compare, but right now, the TireRack banner is not earning its bandwidth.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro..
MikenOH - Wednesday, 24 August, 2011, at 4:34:58 pm
Part of the problem might be that the purchaser has to make a conscious decision to buy the tires from TR while they are on your site. When I'm ready to buy tires, I might not be thinking of this or any other site in particular, other than TR's.

Would it be possible to have TR add to the tire buying process an acknowledgment of a second website--like this one--from which the purchaser may have learned about or discussed TR--say at the end of their questionnaire? It would be a way of getting credit for keeping the name of TR in front of board members even though the purchase wasn't forwarded through this site.

On another subject--the Technobar works great; even though it's not supposed to make a significant difference in highspeed sweepers, the rear of the car felt very well planted at Watkins Glen.
The vendors don't want ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 24 August, 2011, at 4:44:28 pm
... to do that.
They've already setup their system and don't want to change it.
Most of those Affiliate Programs are handled by a third party: Commission Junction.
I'm trying to work with another potential sponsor who also has the same type of program.
I've told them that if the provide a way to credit the board when a board member mentions it on a phoned-in order, we can put their banner up.
If not, I'll keep looking.
Thanks for all the input.

Many years ago I did quite a few laps at The Glenn.
To this day, one of my favorite road courses.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 05:36PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
As far as donations I don't see anything wrong with providing a suggested donation amount and link via paypal or credit card.
If somebody wants to write a check and help cover some fo the expenses for running this board, why not accept it?

It doesn't have to be advertised heavily and allows the board to continue in perpetuity....

Please note that some people can contribute with referral purchases, some by giving of their time and some by writing a check.....

What's wrong with allowing everybody to participate/contribute....?
There's nothing wrong ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 25 August, 2011, at 7:56:03 am
... With accepting donations for other boards.
But this one will not accept them.
I've always felt bad for the Admin, on those boards that accept donations from members.
It comes a time when they have to beg in order to stay online.
There are very few members that realize the value and send in their contribution without being asked.
So, this board will stand on it's own thanks to the support of a few selected sponsors.
We're not in danger of closing or anything similar, on the contrary, we're just trying to tweak things a bit.
Now that we've got a solid membership and high click numbers, sponsors want our ad space.
Therefore we need to make the best out of it.
Thanks to all, members and sponsors for making this board such a great place to come hang out.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 07:59AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login