Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
So my friends fiance is about to pull the trigger on a Cayman R
986rgt - Sunday, 11 September, 2011, at 9:36:16 pm
She's up in the air if she wants to spent the extra $$$ for it over another basic car they have on the lot. Really hatin' my buddy right now!!!
Guess that's what they get from being D.I.N.K. (duel income, no kids!), I hope she lets me take it for a spin...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 09:56PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
auto-x or DE's?
bar10dah - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 7:30:21 pm
I'm guessing AX is autocross. But what's DE? I couldn't find anything about these acronyms. Even googling AX and DE together was a mess...
What is Drivers' Education?

Drivers' Education, or DE, is an opportunity to improve your driving skills by learning to drive your car safely at above average speed on a closed circuit road course. As a novice DE participant, you will drive with an instructor, who will teach you the safest, smoothest and most consistent way to drive as quickly as you both feel is safe for the conditions and your skill level at that time.
DE is not racing. DE differs from racing in several important ways. DE provides drivers with a learning environment where the goal is to improve your individual driving skills in a safe and fun way. The order in which drivers start or finish a DE session is irrelevant. Racing provides drivers with a competitive environment where the goal is to beat the other drivers across the finish line. DE stresses learning in a safe environment by permitting cars to pass other cars only in straight sections of the track that are specifically designated as passing zones, and even then a car can pass only after receiving permission from the car being passed that it is safe to do so. To further increase the safety of the learning environment in a DE, course workers are positioned around the track to help you see obstacles on and off the road surface, slippery course conditions, potential mechanical issues with your car, and actions that appear to be inconsistent with the safe learning environment that DE stresses.

The goals in DE are 1) to be safe, 2) to have fun, and 3) to learn about driving your Porsche smoothly and consistently. And you will learn. Threshold braking, cornering techniques, "the line", "heel and toe" and vehicle dynamics are among the topics taught on the track and in classroom sessions by fellow Porsche owners and expert drivers.

It's like eating only one potato chip....you can't do it........you need more, more, more, and lots more.

BTW: I will be doing Sebring this coming weekend with pro instructor Pedro... He's in for a real treat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 09:09PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
That's a great description Harvey...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 9:38:29 am
... I can't wait till this weekend.
I'm tech'ing my car today and doing a brake/cutch flush.

BTW, here's a great link that Chris (lithium1330) posted on another forum:
[www.drivingfast.net]

Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Wow!! Sounds awesome! I didn't know such an event existed! I'll be looking for them in the future. Uh, by the way, where do I find such events?
Your local PCA region. *NM*
grant - Friday, 16 September, 2011, at 11:40:07 am
I'll up your "do fine" and ante "be notably superior to"....
grant - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 2:35:48 pm
The R has less insulation, no door storage, no door handles (inside), and can be ordered with "Ac delete" - uh, no.

Unless its a track rat. At which point buy and colder Cayman and gut it.

Grant

ps: Lightning was surprisingly fun
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login