Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi All,

Just wondering if the seats in my 2001 Boxster S are leather, or leatherette? Were there both in 2001?

I've been using this product on them... not high end, but I've used it on my Jetta seats and they still look good after 9 yrs.

[www.eagleone.com]
Basically, what touches the body is leather, the rest is fake. The steering wheel and brake handle should also be real leather. One way to tell is to put a drop of water on the surface. If it stays a bead, then it's fake, if it seeps into the surface it's real. There was a pricey all leather option, which replaced any of the fake with the real deal, including doors and dash.
I think my steering wheel is rubber / vinyl. I'll look to see if there is seams or stitching on it..

I think the shifter boot is leather.

Yeah, I was pretty sure the back of the seat was 'leatherette'. The front, I wasn't sure, but was hoping it was leather.
My 2002 S was a leather steering wheel in the standard, partial package. Rule of thumb, if you touch it on a regular basis, it's leather.

--db
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: 986s interiors. were they all leather? or were some 'fake leather'?
Laz - Thursday, 15 September, 2011, at 10:56:16 am
For the "partial leather" interior, which is standard, not optional, the steering wheel rim is leather, the center is vinyl. The handbrake lever, gear shift knob, seat backs (not meaning the backsides of the seats,) squabs (the part your kiester sits on,) and all bolsters are leather. The door grips are leather. An interesting detail about the door grips is that the seams face outward, as Porsche's concern was the "feel" so when a hand grabs around one, it is smooth to the touch.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2011 10:59AM by Laz. (view changes)
I bought my car used, but the original owner must have REALLY liked leather! No basketball hide here

IXJ4 Leather cover for ignition lock surround
IXMF Front center console including 2 storage bins, leather
IXMZ Rear section of centre console in leather
IXNG Instrument surround in leather
IXNH Side vent, left/right defroster trim in leather
IXNN Center air vent bracket in leather
IXNU Leather trim strip (dashboard)
IXTC door panel parts in leather

Did a whip and chains? That's a lot of leather *NM*
db997S - Thursday, 15 September, 2011, at 3:30:22 pm
my MY2000 S was leatherette with alcantara inserts
frogster - Thursday, 15 September, 2011, at 6:36:12 pm
bought in switzerland though. leather isn't standard in europe or ROW IIRC.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login