Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
ordering plugs (and tubes?)
Petee_C - Friday, 23 September, 2011, at 1:24:46 pm
My 2001 boxster S is at about 94,000km. This is my 3rd summer with it. I think i got it with about 72,000km. The past couple years I run it from March/April to October/November.

I'm thinking about the plugs, and probably the tubes. I don't know the service history of the car before I got it from the Chicago area. Searching through the threads, some here don't see the tubes as a wear/maintenance item. I frequent the Rennlist Canada forum, and all the pcar owners there seem to replace the tubes, especially if one is leaky.

No drips that I can see on the garage floor. I haven't taken a look at the coils/valve cover recently to see if there are any drips

I need to order a $14 hose for my Jetta (they want $93 for a crankcase vent hose from the local VW dealership). I get free shipping at $75 (otherwise it's about $10-15 shipping).

6 Bosch plugs is $47
6 Tubes by Febi are $53

I can also pad the order with a Mann Oil Filter, and Mann Air Filter. to get to $75, or a filter for one of my other vehicles.

I am not one to normally replace plugs. My Jetta had the same plugs in it for a long time, probably over 100,000km. I guess the Porsche ones aren't platinum though.
Re: ordering plugs (and tubes?)
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 23 September, 2011, at 3:28:03 pm
I notice two tubes were leaking on my '99, so I ordered 6 new ones and followed Pedro's DIY instructions here: Pedro's Plug & Tube page. It is a simple DIY, you just need to be somewhat flexible to get at the froward cylinders. The key is buying the transom plug from a boating store to remove the old tubes. It works great and reduces the chance of the tube breaking and leaving bits of plastic behind.
I'll attest to that!!
bar10dah - Friday, 23 September, 2011, at 11:12:04 pm
I did just that, used needle nose pliers, and ended up breaking the tube. Had me scared for a bit, as I wasn't sure if any of the plastic fragments ended up in the crankcase. However, as soon as that tube broke, I drove out to a boating supply store and picked up the transom plug for $6. Came back and pulled the broken tube out and the remaining five tubes in no time at all! Luckily, the shard of broken tube that I was able to retrieve was an exact fit into the broken tube, so it appears no fragments broke off and made it's way into the crankcase. I should have started with the transom plug right from the beginning...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 11:12PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login