Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Accusump installation.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 23 September, 2011, at 9:26:32 pm
A couple of people had asked me about my Accusump installation.
As far as I know, most have used the oil filter adaptor to hook up to the Accusump.
Doing the installation in that manner means that you need to use a half-sized oil filter which is only good for 1,500 miles or so and it also means that you have to use an extra-long oil hose, neither of which I wanted to do.

So, I studied the M96 engine and came up with an alternative solution which I think works even better.

The M96 engine pumps oil through the oil heat exchanger in order to cool it down.
I figured that this point (top of the exchanger) would make a perfect connecting point for the Accusump and is near enough to the rear trunk to use a 24 inch hose.

I punched (can't drill because of the danger of leaving metal flakes in the exchanger) a hole at the top of the exchanger and welded an aluminum pressure fitting

I then connected one end of a steel braided line and secured it to the top of the block with tie wraps

Then I punched a hole into the trunk, just under and to the left of the coolant reservoir and put a rubber grommet to protect the line, passed the other end of the line and installed the fitting.

I then tapped into the wire harness in the trunk to power the electrical oil valve and installed a switch

Finally I installed a dry quick disconnect coupling so that I can unplug the Accusump and use the full trunk space when my wife comes along.

Then it was just mounting the steel clamps to a piece of 1/4 plywood which is also secured to the floorboard.

An here's how it looks in the trunk

This is the 3 qt. size which will give me a continuous supply of oil to the engine for 17 seconds when the pump starts sucking air and the pressure drops below 35 psi.
There's an added advantage that since it's connected with the ignition switch, when the engine is switched off the Accusump retains 3 qts. of oil at pressure.
When I go start it next time I first switch on the ignition allowing the Accusump to pre-oil the engine before it turns over, eliminating a lot of the wear at cold start.

It works very well. I'm very happy with it.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Should I ever want one, I'm taking a little drive down your way from NY.

Here's the Acura tv commercial that's partly responsible for inspiring me to take grand tours: (after whatever annoying ad runs first)

[www.driv4.com]

Here's a link to the place where the guy has lunch:

[members.virtualtourist.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 02:40PM by Laz. (view changes)
Thanks for the pix Pedro... Quick question...
Cris - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 12:17:22 am
Any difference in functionality between your approach (accusump dumping oil into the oil cooler -top) compared with the sandwich plate (accusump dumping oil at the cooler - bottom)? E.g., I'd think when accusump dumps the 2 or 3qt of oil at the filter via sandwich plate, the oil is readily available at the bottom of the motor for pick-up. Oil from the oil cooler would need to make its way from top to bottom. Thoughts?
Thanks again!
In my opinion...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 5:46:05 am
.... putting the oil back through the heat exchanger is a more efficient way.
This helps in the distribution making it more even.
I'd rather inject the oil up high and come down to the pan than put it in the pan and wait for the pump.
In either case oil comes back from the Accusump under pressure and hits several lubricating points.
But what makes me decide to do it this way is being able to still use the OEM oil filter, and not the half-sized one.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login