Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2012 Boxster naked.....
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 4:18:21 pm
[www.autoblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 04:18PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Re: 2012 Boxster naked.....
jwdbox - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 4:32:08 pm
Thanks for posting. It appears that the redesigned rear trunk lid goes all the way up to the soft top storage well with no steel clam shell in evidence. The glimpse of the interior seems to reflect the migration of Panamera style. cool smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 8:20:37 pm
jwdbox
Thanks for posting. It appears that the redesigned rear trunk lid goes all the way up to the soft top storage well with no steel clam shell in evidence. The glimpse of the interior seems to reflect the migration of Panamera style. cool smiley

He Jeff, when I first looked at the pictures I thought you might have taken them on a run out to VoF. smiling smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
jwdbox - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 9:50:49 pm
Guenter in Ontario
jwdbox

He Jeff, when I first looked at the pictures I thought you might have taken them on a run out to VoF. smiling smiley

Thanks Guenter smiling smiley I kinda thought that too after I stopped looking at the 2012 Boxster cool smiley There are certainly some shots that look just like Valley of Fire.

BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 4:51:46 pm
Overall, I like it. The door treatment leading back side vents is a bit more MR2ish, but also has some CGT styling as well. One thing that strikes me as odd is the panel separation between the side vents and the rear fenders, I'm not sure why it's there. Also curious if the trim piece that runs across the trail light is attached to the tail light or the spoiler.
jwdbox - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 5:00:06 pm
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
Overall, I like it. The door treatment leading back side vents is a bit more MR2ish, but also has some CGT styling as well. One thing that strikes me as odd is the panel separation between the side vents and the rear fenders, I'm not sure why it's there. Also curious if the trim piece that runs across the trail light is attached to the tail light or the spoiler.
When you look at the photos enlarged it appears that the trim piece is part of the tail light.cool smiley
Laz - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 5:17:52 pm
The side intake integrates much better than the previous one, which I think was a compromise to make the panels compatible with the Cayman, where it worked very well. (The 986 intake shape integrated better than the 987 one, also.) The new one picks up on the headlight shape, too. I've always been a fan of repeating forms, which one sees in great works of art. The new shape is less "Japanese"* in my opinion, than the 987's. I like the taillights, just a bit Lamborghini-esque, but also meshing with the overall new design.

*This is not to be derogatory: I mean that Japanese cars have their own aesthetic, albeit less Bauhausian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 05:19PM by Laz. (view changes)
Bauhausian...
TheFarmer - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 8:42:31 pm
Great point, somehow it makes me think of design theory and other aesthetic concepts, which is nice to hear on this board. Better than "I liked the 986 side vents better than the 987s"

My reaction is that the side vents are echoes of the CGT, and I never thought of the MR2 on first glance. Also the lack of the clamshell seems very natural -- at least it is very good to see that the top is fabric!
I think different(ly.) *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 8:56:49 pm
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 8:19:06 pm
Thanks for posting, Harvey. It still looks like a Boxster. ....side vents. I'll have to see those "in the metal". Maybe they'll grow on me. Still wish they'd return those mirros to a Ford Focus.

The back doesn't look bad without the clam shell. I wonder if the body panel line above the side vents means that section lifts up for servicing of the engine. Otherwise it could be pretty tight access.
but that could just be the angle of the shot.

I really like it! The big air scoops are fantastic, and very CGT ish.

The rear spoiler line running from brake light through the wing is very 918 ish.

The thick and meaningful metal roll bars are a nice accent.

I hope for a Panamera like interior with wide swooping center console.

Please put the cup holders where they are not blocking the air vents or view of some important control!

My wife says I should go ahead and get in line, but I fear I would not drive it sad smiley. My Boxster is a dust collector and was last driven.. ..well.. I dont remember. I dont think it would get many miles and I hate to tie up garage space unless I will be driving it.

I really needed some good news like this after the SJ news. Bummer.
Nice Mister Two.
dghii - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 10:18:37 pm
Sorry but that was my first impression looking at the pics. I'd love to see the interior as I felt that the 987 interior was a dramatic improvement to my my 986.

Dunno about the spoiler extending over the tail lights...I know my teenage boys would think its cool. I think its....goofy.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
An unprecedented design perhaps, however disturbing it is for now. I've tried to imagine the spoiler in other configurations, but none resolve very well. At least this seems to have something to do with how the side panels look, with the lengthy creases wrapping around the side intakes. Maybe if the taillights were softened to asymmetrical ellipsoids, rather than being polygons.

Then again, when I first saw a 911 parked on a Manhattan street back in the 60s, I thought it looked like a frog.
Re: Nice Mister Two.
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 12:32:43 am
As a former owner of two Mr. 2's (1988 base, '91 Turbo), I'm not at all averse to the analogy. That '91 Turbo was damn close to the Boxster in terms of exhilaration factor.

BTW, did anyone notice the additional "homage" that would be represented by the turbo 4 treatment? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 12:34AM by Leor ('09S, North of Boston). (view changes)
Frankly I'm disappointed
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 11:32:38 pm
The side scoop treatment is way over the top, taken straight from the CGT. Kit car!

Re: Frankly I'm disappointed
paulwdenton - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 9:49:21 am
My thoughts exactly. This is a giant leap backward. I don't like the strake OR the giant kit-car scoop. It's just way overdone. If the motor is running, I'd be afraid it would suck in my wife's purse. Together with the giant wheels, it looks like a Hot Wheels car now. If I want to look like a boy racer, I might as well drive a Corvette.
Are we sure these are real photos?
AS2003 - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 10:53:48 am
I like the design, but I am having a hard time believing these are real photos of the next Boxster. Do we know anything about the company that produced the shots? Have they done mock-ups in the past?

Here are my top arguments for why I think they could be fake:

First, it seems way too early to see the 981 not heavily disguised. We didn't see the 991 that way until a week prior to its official unveiling. Second, the spy photos of the 981 over the past 18 months have offered no suggestion that the doors and side of the car would look like that. The spy photos have further suggested that the rear lights would be more differentiated from the 991 than they appear in these photos. Finally, the pictures are almost too perfect. The car in those photos is not out for testing-- it's out for a photo shoot.

Thoughts?
Re: Are we sure these are real photos?
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 2:09:00 pm
AS2003

First, it seems way too early to see the 981 not heavily disguised. We didn't see the 991 that way until a week prior to its official unveiling. Second, the spy photos of the 981 over the past 18 months have offered no suggestion that the doors and side of the car would look like that. The spy photos have further suggested that the rear lights would be more differentiated from the 991 than they appear in these photos. Finally, the pictures are almost too perfect. The car in those photos is not out for testing-- it's out for a photo shoot.

Thoughts?

Much as I wish that you were right about those MR2 side vents. I've suspected that something like that was coming. When you look at the spy shots closely, you can see that almost the whole side from front to back wheel arches is heavily camouflaged. I thought it might be some type of filler taped over. Black is such a good colour to cover up those details. In this picture, you can see the whole section that's covered. And, I'm sure you're right. That car does look like it was out for a photo shoot. It looks a lot like Valley of Fire in Nevada.

AS2003 - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 3:18:07 pm
I think you're right. When you look closely at the door handle it looks like there is an entire panel that has been added on top of the actual door, as well as to the side vent. My doubts are gone. I think this is the next Boxster. With all that said, you would think testing a car with those fake panels would be difficult. How do you know if the car is going to whistle or do something else odd without testing the car in production form in the real world?

Finally, if Porsche is at the stage of officially photographing the next Boxster in the wild for future promotions, the official release has to be right around the corner. It's hard to believe Porsche will wait until January 2012, as previously reported, to debut a car that the world has now seen in detail.

I'd like to see the next Cayman now. If they add a sunroof (unlikely) or have a targa version available (as discussed by Porsche leadership), I'm ready to put in my order.

09 Boxster
Previous 03 Boxster
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 12:38:26 am
AS2003
you would think testing a car with those fake panels would be difficult. How do you know if the car is going to whistle or do something else odd without testing the car in production form in the real world?

Test it at night?
What have they done to my car, to paraphrase Richardo
db997S - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 8:44:47 am
Don't like the rear wing going over the tail lights. The trunk lid slope reminds me of the rear of a Chrysler Crossfire. The side intakes are too much, but wondering if it's due to function over form to provide greater airflow for the rumored turbo charged four banger that's on the way. Oh, well, so much for evolution over revolution, or what ever the Porsche saying is regarding their design strategy. Hope the 981 won't have the same 14-year life span as the new 991.
Exotic looking. Shame about the spoiler, but
Roger987 - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 8:45:34 am
40 minutes with a Dremel (equipped with a cut-off disk) and a can of spray paint, should fix that right up. grinning smiley
2012 Boxsters with entirly different body styles. If they come out with something dramatically different it must have a new identity.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
FWIW, I think you lucked out to get a 2012 in a colour that your really like.
silverbox03 - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 10:55:53 am
I like most of what I see here, but I have my doubts as to the authenticity of these images. There's a lot of drama here for what is a lower end car for Porsche. At one time it was said that side vents as large as those on the original Boxster concept would be too impractical, and these are even more aggressive.

However, if there is a new entry level sportscar on the way, they would probably move the Boxster up. Time will tell. For right now, I'm thinking these are bogus photos.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 11:25:00 am
silverbox03
I like most of what I see here, but I have my doubts as to the authenticity of these images. There's a lot of drama here for what is a lower end car for Porsche. At one time it was said that side vents as large as those on the original Boxster concept would be too impractical, and these are even more aggressive.

I thought the issue with the Boxster Concept's vents was the position, not the size. They were concerned with the ingestion of snow.
silverbox03 - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 3:45:33 pm
Yep, I think your right; it was the fact that the inlets were low on the body.

Well, I hope this is the new 981. It sure looks more aggressive and exotic. When the 986 came out, as nice as it was, it was a little plain compared to the concept.

And I would welcome a new smaller, lighter model below the Boxster, as well as a flat four in the Boxster. After all, it's Porsche's heritage, less is more.
The production 986's higher intakes were susceptible to cigarette butts, per a TSB.
But suppose
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 7:51:52 pm
the real vents are inside on the inner body cavity and the huge intake you see is merely a cosmetic cover. Air flow test this and you could have a ram effect or a safety-from-ingestion design that would be shielded from malicious intent acts. Now how to duct the outflow side? But with the possibility of a turbo, you come into an entirely different heat shedding need, don't you?

r
Some of the Road and Track info in incorrect. Porsche / VW, cancelled the agreement with Magna Steyr. Instead, the Boxster is going to be produced in Germany at the former Karmann plant that used to make specialty car bodies for car manufacturers, like the Karmann Ghia and the Beetle convertibles.

A number of reports I've read also say the 4 cylinder turbo isn't ready yet (I hope!!) and won't likely show up in the 981 until the first facelift.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login