Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It works but is inconsistent. I will press up and it will stop, or go down instead of go up.

Eventually I can get the window closed but it takes 2-3 tries until it will go in the right direction.

Is this an easy fix for a non-mechanically inclined person?

Anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse?

Thanks
Is the carpet behind your driver's seat wet? *NM*
Boxsterra - Thursday, 10 November, 2011, at 5:41:05 pm
Any funny sounds? *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 10 November, 2011, at 6:10:31 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I will check the driver and passenger seat tomorrow for moisture.......
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
atwnsw
It works but is inconsistent. I will press up and it will stop, or go down instead of go up.

Eventually I can get the window closed but it takes 2-3 tries until it will go in the right direction.

Is this an easy fix for a non-mechanically inclined person?

Anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse?

Thanks

car's security system's controller located on the cabin floor under the driver's seat.

Another place moisture (water) can cause this kind of behavior is in the door itself. Water can get in the door and in doing so causes electrical gremlins with the door and the door's window, at first. If left alone the gremlines can migrate to other areas which makes diagnosis harder.

I've experienced several periods of odd window/door lock and car security system behavior with my car (the last period just a few weeks ago) but nothing like you describe.

(Briefly, the passenger side window would fail to drop when the door was opened, or worse the window would drop then go up after the door was open. Occasionally and with no pattern the car's door lock LED would come on concurrent with the sounds of the doors locking. I'd press the unlock button and the doors would unlock only to lock again after a few minutes, but not always. At other times when I locked the car the horn would sound a warning that something was ajar but I never found anything ajar. In this case the cause proved to be a bad passenger door lock assembly. Another time (more recently) the driver's side window would drop when I opened the door but go up again. The cause proved to be a worn out driver's side door latch. Even more recently, the driver's side window would fail to drop when I opened the door from either the inside or the outside. The cause of this proved to be a worn out window lowering/raising mechanism.)

Based on my experience with my car after having had to replace the door lock asssembly, the door handle/latch and the window mechanism I would hazard a guess moisture/water is the likely cause of the symptoms are experiencing.

However, if you tell me the car has been left to sit a while then another possibility is mice or squirrels or rats have gotten in the car. Now you might think you'd notice signs of this, but maybe not. I've seen a Porsche with pretty bad rodent (rats no less) damage -- engine wiring harness/hoses and lines in the engine compartment gnawed up and 'tunnels' gnawed from the cabin to the engine compartment -- and yet the owner had no clue. The car was brought in because the check engine light was on and the engine was not running right.

Or there's something amiss with the switches. Odd that both would act up but if somebody spilled a drink on the switches, or there's some underlying wiring looseness or the console has been apart and not reinstalled properly, etc, this could explain both switches acting up.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I keep the car in a garage 24/7 when I am not using it as my daily driver (I put less than 4-5,000 miles per year) so I would be surprised if I had rodents.
It doesn't take months of non-usage before a pair...
MarcW - Friday, 11 November, 2011, at 6:49:51 pm
of mice take up housekeeping in a car. At the right time of the year -- and given how many litters a mouse can have in a year that's just about time of the year -- the pair will set up housekeeping in just a few days.

Water can get in the car from just washing the car, if a drain is blocked or if a window seal or door seal fails, leaks.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login