Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
High quality spy shots of the 2013 Boxster
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 2 December, 2011, at 6:58:54 pm
Go full screen. Looking at the roof, I still see frame ribs. smiling smiley

Re: High quality spy shots of the 2013 Boxster
Roger987 - Friday, 2 December, 2011, at 7:12:15 pm
Ummmm....

Can't see any ribs.

But then, I can't see a link, either. winking smiley
Re: try this
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 2 December, 2011, at 8:37:13 pm
Thanks Mike, that was it. I'm not sure what happens between preview and post.

Pedro, are you required to put something in the 2nd "description" dialog when posting a web link?
Thanks Bob and Mike
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 2 December, 2011, at 9:02:13 pm
Bob, you should only have to paste the link into the message and it always works for me.

Just a few observations.

I notice they've done away with the solid windscreen between the rollbars and replaced it with a screen and substantial frame, which should get rid of the flexing and rattling.

The roof - I see two bows. One just over the rear window (which seems bigger than the current one) and another a foot or so in front of that. Everything from there forward appears to be one section/piece. It could be that whole forward section is solid.

Also, it looks like the whole plastic frame around the side window is gone.
He mentions in here about a new magnesium structure of the roof. So maybe that whole front section is one solid piece covered by material.

[www.autoweek.com]
"the five-dial instrument binnacle remains."
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 2 December, 2011, at 10:17:35 pm
I wonder if this is a mistake in the article or if the author just is not that familiar with the 987. I would really like to see the five dial instrument panel in the new 981.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
For what it's worth, there's this 2013 image:
Laz - Saturday, 3 December, 2011, at 12:02:39 pm
[www.porschepits.com]

Five dials, but to me it looks like a concept car interior.
Re: For what it's worth, there's this 2013 image:
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 3 December, 2011, at 12:32:07 pm
Laz
[www.porschepits.com]

Five dials, but to me it looks like a concept car interior.

That's the original Boxster concept interior shown at the Detroit Auto Show in 1993.

You can see some of the dials from this different angle.

i'll take one of those concepts, thanks!
TheFarmer - Sunday, 4 December, 2011, at 8:47:47 pm
Although I really like my 987, I think it is something of a shame that the original concept did not make it to market. It was a nice idea and a good design. Of course, concepts seldom make it to fruition, so still...
Road dust, kicked up stones, and dirty road water. Also there likely were manufacturing impracticalities concerning metal forming, materials, etc.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
he's saying that the ignition to the outside remains. poor writing but that's what he's saying.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
That makes them not a "trusted site." They should've used no image rather than the wrong one. For the sake of being properly informed, I wouldn't bother reading any further output from that entity.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
the new car must have the 5 dial binacle - which will be a nice improvement, IMHO.
Re: I read it and I am not sure what he means. However,..
db997S - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 1:35:05 pm
No, the philosophy at Porsche/VW is to put more distance between the Boxster and the 911. Having five dials would move them closer.
Guess we will have to wait and see. It could be that Porsche is trying to "upscale" the Boxster to make more room for the Baby Boxster eventually. Or maybe they are just trying to same money with one less binnacle to produce.
It could be that Porsche put the five-cluster in so the drivers could get the extra readings during real-world testing instead of waiting for the download from the computers.
New Boxster
Roger987 - Sunday, 4 December, 2011, at 7:29:22 pm
If the narrative is correct, the current Boxsters may look very much like yesterday's car when the new model is unveiled. That's not necessarily a good thing for us.

There appears to be some sort of vent behind the driver's seat. I wonder if it will be Porsche's take on the Merc's "windscarf".
Given there's lots of heat back there, it would be great if the driver had the option of using some of it to keep the cool drafts at bay.
wish I'd seen it
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 3 December, 2011, at 12:39:04 am
judging from the photos, they must have driven along my daily commute. i'm sorry to have missed them ...
I would hardly call these "spy" shots though
frogster - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 1:23:12 am
it's obviously someone who was with the group for the whole trip. the driver of one of the boxsters is even posing in a pic or two. now whether or not this person had the right to post those pics is another story. but i doubt it would be difficult for porsche to figure out who took them.

[edit] after reading the article that guenter linked to, i think it's likely that those "spy" pics were shot by the writer of that article.

[2nd edit] the writer is clearly doesn't know much about porsches. a couple of mistakes in the article:
"The new Boxster, code-named 981" no, that's not a "code" name. it's a type number.
- "automatically operated cloth roof does without the twist-and-turn manual attachment of old" twist and turn? really?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 01:35AM by frogster. (view changes)
frogster

- "automatically operated cloth roof does without the twist-and-turn manual attachment of old" twist and turn? really?

He must be confusing the Boxster with its oh-so-similar cousin, the VW Beetle. My daughter's Bug has the, "twist and turn" roof release and manual retract.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login