Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Ready to install a new top on my '99
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 6 December, 2011, at 3:46:04 pm
My ’99 has now gone through plastic window #2 and at 12 yrs / 108k miles, the fabric is showing its age... it never was a Garage Queen. I could buy an OEM or GAHH top and attempt a DIY, but I’ve heard it’s not a project for the average shade tree mechanic, even Pedro has expressed concerns. I started looking at other options and once again, Boxster Spec Racing has provided an opportunity for me.

From what I’ve read, the R&R of the entire frame/top is pretty straight forward, so I pulled the trigger on and excellent condition unit from a ’98 undergoing the BSR Weight Loss Program. It’s well maintained and it spent a lot of time under a hard top. I have the unit at the house, so I’ll try to get it done this weekend, time permitting.

I read the write-up Boxtaboy and Maurice posted when he put an ’03 glass top on his ’01, so it sounds like getting the push rods adjusted correctly is the key. I’m open to any other tips from those who’ve completed a top swap.
Re: Ready to install a new top on my '99
MauriceonLongIsland - Tuesday, 6 December, 2011, at 4:56:52 pm
Good place to get a complete top and frame assembly, and this DIY should only take you one to two hours.

Once you have finished the install, be careful to check that your latch clears the plexiglass windscreen between the roll bars. If it doesn't clear, it could end up in the wrong position when the top reaches the windshield frame and get jammed there, causing havoc and destruction to various parts of the mechanism. If it doesn't clear, you will have to loosen the three bolts on each side of the base of the frame and pull back hard as you tighten them.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the DIY on Mike Focke's website, here: [sites.google.com]

Specifically, look at the Part II PDF of that DIY.

Regards, Maurice.
Re: Ready to install a new top on my '99
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 6 December, 2011, at 6:05:41 pm
Thanks Maurice, I had found the canvas R&R DIY on Mike's site, but didn't see the frame/top page you linked to. I will make sure to read through it.
I did the work on a 98 top and frame earlier this year...
dghii - Tuesday, 6 December, 2011, at 5:52:00 pm
...as well as on my 2000S when I discovered a broken passenger side cable and subsequently broke the pivot socket upon reassembly. I didn't find it hard to time the transmissions...well at least not nearly as hard as I tought it would be.

[pedrosboard.com]

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
With a lot of help from Maurice I put a 2003 glass window top on my 2002. Pretty straightforward. Hardest part was getting a wrench on the forward frame bolts, IIRC. Maurice and his DIY writeups were a huge help.
Re: I did the work on a 98 top and frame earlier this year...
boxsterd - Thursday, 8 December, 2011, at 2:39:38 am
Was that the GAHH top? I read that it hinders access to the engine compartment. Is that true?
How much did you pay for the frame and top? *NM*
boxsterd - Wednesday, 7 December, 2011, at 8:51:10 pm
The top and frame I put on my 98 was $550 shipped.
dghii - Wednesday, 7 December, 2011, at 11:23:54 pm
Shipping options are limited AND expensive due to the bulk of the package. FEDEX and US Postal was crazy. UPS was about $200 to ship from SOCAL to northwest FL. The top I ended up with had some spots on the rear window that I could not remove. The seller graciously refunded $150 of the price. The guy I sold the car to didn't care one bit about the spots so maybe I was being too picky.

If I had it to do again, I think I would have tried to install a new top on the existing frame as I see new tops under $300. I know it is kind of tough but I think I could do it. That is my plan when time comes to replace the top on my 2000S.

dghii
Re: How much did you pay for the frame and top?
Al in Melbourne Beach - Thursday, 8 December, 2011, at 3:01:01 am
I found a 2003 top that looked new in a yard in NJ for $600 plus $200 shipping. Due to size and maybe also weight it had to be shipped freight. But a like new top with glass window (you can't appreciate it until you have one) for$800 seemed pretty good so I jumped on it.
I'd jump on that too!
dghii - Thursday, 8 December, 2011, at 5:37:43 pm
Given a new top with glass is still over $500, you just have to determine how many hours you save doing a bolt on versus canvas R/R.

dghii
Re: I'd jump on that too!
Al in Melbourne Beach - Thursday, 8 December, 2011, at 8:47:57 pm
Another advantage to the bolt-on approach in addition to the substantially simpler install is the 4-bow frame and its larger rear window.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login