Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Can someone please post a universally accessible link for me - I can't find it (and neither can my google skills).

There was (once upon a time) a link on wiring a garage remote into the car's electrical, using a new switch on the dash and hiding/locating the remote (inside a ziplock bag) inside the front bumper. I have links which purport to go to garage door opener hacks, but the links are dead.

I'm getting really tired, after 12 years, of reaching onto the passenger seat to open/close the garage door - since the clip on the remote will dig into the visor, I won't put it there, and given that I don't drive in a straight line it often pops off the passenger seat.

Thoughts appreciated as always.

Andrew
I solved this problem in my '02S by wiring the remote into the window opener switch and hiding the remote under the center ashtray. It did require purchasing a rocker switch from the dealer (at the time about $26).

There use to be a link to a site, Boxsey.com, but it doesn't appear to be active at this time. I think there is a way to search the early PPBB archives and the info may be there.
Here's one...
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 4:48:54 pm
Re: Here's one...
AndyInNYC - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 5:05:08 pm
Yes, I found this one, but it doesn't
a) put the remote in the front fender
b) use a dash switch (I have heated seats, so my console is fully used
c) isn't wired in through the electrical system.

I'm looking for an a-c solution.

Thanks, though.

Andrew
How about
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 5:44:27 pm
attaching your remote at the side carpeting (just underneath your trunk switches) using velcro?

A bit of velcro glued to the back of the remote should do the trick.

If you're afraid of kicking it there, you could always mount it on the other side of your seat on the carpet below the hand brake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 06:54PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
I know this does not directly answer your question, but......

I used a 996 Targa switch (the graphic on it looks like a garage door going up and down) that replaced one of the dummy switches next to the climate control.

I wired it to the guts of a hand held remote that was programmed to my garage door, and powered it +12v to the car.

The guts of the remote are placed inside the panel that holds the opener switch and works from 100 feet away, so no need to run wiring to the bumper to get it to work.

I did the same. My opener remote used a 12V battery so wiring it in was easy. There is a connector in the console near the gearshift for the porsche phone that has 12V on it,both switched and unswitched. If your remote uses a different battery voltage it may be a little harder, but not impossible. I soldered wires for power and the switches, wrappped the unit in bubble wrap and put it behind the switch panel in the dash where I, like others, mounted a targa top switch.-
Al, that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for
AndyInNYC - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 6:48:47 pm
I really don't care where the remote actually goes - I just remember the version I saw having the remote in a ziplock bag in the bumper.

I'm likely going to have my body shop guy do the work (if I use a soldering iron my wife proactively calls 911).
If I give him clear directions, he can do it quickly.

Al, two questions on yours:

1) how hard would it be to swap out the remote - ie I move or sell the car
2) given the rocker switch, could the switch power a two-button garage door opener? By that I mean one that will open two different doors. Up would open one and down the second.

If you have directions, or recall the steps you took I'd appreciate it.

Andrew
Re: Al, that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for
SPG356 - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 10:02:52 pm
Andrew,

1) Swapping the remote is easy, just remove the panel. If you move and need to reprogram the remote, it can actually be done right in the car if your garage door motor is compatible. If you sell the car and want to remove the switch and remote, just do so and replace the switch with a dummy switch.

2) The switch does in fact work on a two button remote and open both doors; that is how I have mine set up.

Regards,

Sebastian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 10:03PM by SPG356. (view changes)
Well, the soldering is not exactly a body kind of job. More like an AV installer. A good stereo shop could do it.

If you do it like I did, you'll be able to remove it fairly easily. Keep the dummy switch you take out of the panel.

The targa switch has two sets of contacts, one for open, one for close. You can use them for the two switches on your opener. That is exactly what I did.

You need to order:

996 Targa switch
Switch connector body
Switch connector contacts (6 or more)

You'll also need some wire to install it and some vampire taps to get power from the phone harness or some other harness (radio, for example) in the car, and to hook up the lighting for the switch.

Open up the garage door opener and find where the battery connects. If the battery is 12 volts you are in good shape. If not, you'll need some kind of a regulator to drop the car's 12V down to the battery voltage for your opener. Assuming 12V, solder two wires to the wherever the + and - of the battery connect. These two wires will be connected to power in some harness in the car using vampire taps.

Find the contacts for the two switches. There should be one contact on each switch connected together and then to somewhere else. Solder one wire to the junction of the two switch contacts. Solder a wire to each of the other two switch contacts. These three wires connect to the switch. They'll be crimped into three contacts, and inserted into the proper locations in the connector body.

Take another couple of pieces of wire and crimp them into some contacts. These will be connected to the lighting wires on another switch using two more vampire taps.

To install it, pick where you want it, left or right. I put mine on the left side of the dash center console. Grab the panel by the edges and just pull it straight out. Pop out the dummy switch and pop in the targa switch. Push the switch contacts into the connector body (in the proper locations) until they click. Push the connector onto the switch and hook up the power and lighting wires to the car. Wrap the remote in bubble wrap to keep it quiet and put it into the recess behind the panel. Mine works fine from there, no need to try to get it in the bumper or somewhere else.

I think I took some pictures of my setup. I'll try to find them and send them to you. PM me your e-mail address. I'll try to find my information on the switch contacts and wiring and send it to you along with the pictures.

It's not as hard as it sounds.

Al
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login