Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I read you need the tamper-resistant triple square; and that one should / must remove the diagonal brace to gain access to the fill/drain plugs.

Any advice re:

1. general procedure
2. not affecting alignment when removing diagonal brace
3. other?

I'm changing at ~50k mostly due to the hgih number of track days.

TIA,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 12:35PM by grant. (view changes)
so it can't be too involved.

If the brace has to be removed as long as the car is supported properly -- at the dealer the car is lifted by its lift points -- and not moved there should be no risk to the alignment. It may not play any role in that area at all either.

What you need to know is how much fluid to put back in the transmission. Sometimes the directions are to add fluid at the fill hole until fluid runs out and for other times one adds fluid only until it reaches a certain point *below* the fill hole.

Since I've never changed the fluid myself I haven't bothered to learn which method is required.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks Marc. This one is 1/4" below lip of fill hole
grant - Wednesday, 22 August, 2012, at 3:14:25 pm
.. ive had lots of these war horse units in Audis :-)

Grant

Grant

Per Pelican it's 11mm below the hole for the 986 5 speed.
Laz - Wednesday, 22 August, 2012, at 11:03:33 pm
You can improvise a dipstick of sorts with a piece of bendable metal or some heavy gauge house wire. Keep it plenty long so there's no risk of dropping it in.
I gave the Bentley manual to my friend who now owns my 01, otherwise I'd be more certain... a little searching online might reveal the correct answer.
EDIT: Here's Pelican's take on it (scroll down to the third grayed box) :
[www.pelicanparts.com]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 11:14PM by Laz. (view changes)
That part's not a concern. Was more wondering about stupid stuff that could happen as i removed the diagonal brace, and/or access secrets that Bentley wont tell me.

I have 101 projects too, i just don't trust it (its 0 for 2 so far in being complete and accurate). My favorite from Pelican was showing you how to do the motor mount *with the engine out of the car*. That's useful.

Grant

Grant

Back when...
Laz - Thursday, 23 August, 2012, at 9:46:47 am
I changed rings on my Alfas by merely pulling the heads, pulling the cylinders off, changing the rings, and putting it all back. No engine out of the car, or "complete" by the book dismantling, etc.

... is to have a TechnoBrace installed. No kidding.
The TechnoBrace will maintain the perfect spacing on the lower rear suspension parts and won't allow the stance to change.
If you don't have a technoBrace in place do not loosen or remove the diagonal braces when the car is loading the suspension.
If the car is on stands or on a 2-post lift it's fine.
To measure the tranny oil I have a 5 mm allen wrench which I marked with a hacksaw at 10 mm below the inner edge of the short end.
I just then insert the short end of the allen wrench through the fill hole and rotate.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Good input, thanks
grant - Friday, 24 August, 2012, at 11:14:05 am
Hey, i bought a techno-brace - getting it on is another challenge!

Trailer's well. I know i owe pics.

Grant

Grant

It should not be a challenge ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 24 August, 2012, at 6:16:27 pm
... to install a TechnoBrace.
If it doesn't fit easily in your car, it means that the stance has already been altered by loosening the diagonal braces with the car loading the suspension.
If this happens, loosen the diagonal braces and put a strap with a ratchet around the bottom of both rear wheel carriers.
Put the TecnoBrace in place and start ratcheting until the holes align.
Drop in the screws, tighten everything and remove the straps.
Now the car is back to OEM stance.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

i cant recall the details, but its interference getting it into place - not enough room to squeeze into the space. once there it would be fine.

I just don't have the energy to see what's wrong, but neither i not two pros could get it in.

I'll take a picture when i get a chance and send it to you.

No worries at the moment.

G

Grant

... the exhaust tube coming too close.
You can loosen a couple of clamps to rotate it a bit or just put a little bit of upward pressure with a jack.
I've installed TechnoBraces in every year of 986 and 987s. Some have been a bit more difficult, but they all can get it.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Some tips
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 22 August, 2012, at 6:40:14 pm
Always remove the fill plug before the drain plug.
Make sure you have some way of getting the fluid in (you can't pour it directly) before draining.
Make sure the car is level (otherwise you won't know if you're putting in the right amount).
Don't use RedLine for a Boxster. It sucks.
Grant

No reason. OEM is good stuff. *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 22 August, 2012, at 8:49:08 pm
The Porsche brand is very pricey, but you know it's the Right Stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 11:07PM by Laz. (view changes)
my assumption wrong?

Grant

a comment.....
por911(bc) - Thursday, 23 August, 2012, at 11:57:45 am

Here is a pic of the security hex bit. That one is a factory Audi tool made by Geba. Here are some of my thoughts on the process:
1)use factory gear box fluid/oil, have 3 bottles handy.
2) make sure the car is level when jacked up.
3) don't over fill the gearbox, I believe it should be 11mm under the over fill for that gear box.
You might consider flushing the clutch fluid while in there. It's a pretty simple process. The hardest part is getting proper access. New fluid and a clutch fluid flush should make a fair improvement(easier shifts/smoother/etc....).
regards
Gear box oil.....
por911(bc) - Thursday, 23 August, 2012, at 12:01:31 pm
Here is a pic of the factory fill.....

regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login