Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
So during Christmas....
JM-Stamford,CT - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 9:59:54 am
Somebody starts talking about cars and their favorites and such.

My seven year old son announces that he wants a Viper. OK not a surprise, thank you lightning Mcqueen. Then my nine year old daughter says she wants a "real car" a a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Fastback. She's 9. How does she even know what that is? It is not a car that I know anything about really and certainly not on my wishlist.

My wife shoots me a quizzical look. I basically smiled the smile of one who is winning. My kids apparently get it.
Re: So during Christmas....
gregsterInMO - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 10:20:24 am
Love it!

My son has been a fan of Porsche from the time he was old enough to have an opinion! (about 8)

He is now 18 and has been driving a boxster, M-3 convert, and a C-240 benzo all blacked-out on "Rims"...

He has the German car bug, to say the least!

Happy New Year!
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 5:34:50 pm
That's awesome JM. I woulda thought she would name a Pcar. smiling smiley
You would think...
JM-Stamford,CT - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 10:31:17 am
But I must have expanded her horizons with the Healey.
dghii - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 7:16:40 pm
Ditto here..
My 22 year old currently drives a 2000 Miata....that he rebuilt the engine on, along with a turbocharger and intercooler. At 19, he built the Megasquirt engine management kit and made a wiring harness for the system that allows him to go back to stock if ever so inclined. He ran around with a laptop in the passenger seat, doing mapping for different fuels and situations. The car currently puts out about 200hp at the wheels and handles like a go cart.

Although I worried that he would 'ruin' his car with all of the modifications, his work lead to his current electronic engineering studies along with leading the universities SAE formula team.

My 17 year old has worked two summers, at ages 14 and 15, at the auto hobby shop on our Navy base. We picked up a 1990 Jeep YJ that needed an engine and did the swap ourselves right before he turned 16. He kept the jeep a year and sold it this summer, doubling his money and purchased a 2000 BMW 323ci 5 speed this fall that is now his pride and joy.

Both boys had brought home non running Craigslist motorcycles and had them back on the road within a day. The hand on education they are getting is worth the mess in my garage!

This is the 22 year old back when he was almost 3 years old behind the wheel of my 1990 Miata

[i56.tinypic.com]

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
SPG356 - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 7:35:29 pm
dghii
This is the 22 year old back when he was almost 3 years old behind the wheel of my 1990 Miata

You had a rare car, just like the '55 356 Speedster, the only "official" colors offered in Miata's first year production were Red, White & Blue!

Regards,
dghii - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 7:51:06 pm
Yes, very limited color choices back then. My first choice would have been red but instead, I purchased the car 'used' with 4000 miles in the spring of 1991. It was an 'A' package and was a great car. I kept it for five years before selling it to a coworker.

dghii
SPG356 - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 9:03:19 pm
dghii
Yes, very limited color choices back then. My first choice would have been red but instead, I purchased the car 'used' with 4000 miles in the spring of 1991. It was an 'A' package and was a great car. I kept it for five years before selling it to a coworker.

Off topic, but the only other silver '90 Miata I know of was the Detroit Auto Show car!
SPG356 - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 9:29:31 pm
Porsche loving daughter ten years apart...
great pic!
dghii - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 1:14:37 am
Seems like only yesterday....

dghii
Great picture. *NM*
JM-Stamford,CT - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 10:30:31 am
dghii - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 12:24:36 am
Yeah, I remember that Silver was not an initial color choice when the cars were introduced.
Per Miata.net FAQ, "Silver Stone Metallic" started mid-year 1990 through 1992.

I do remember the that it was also a big deal when Black/tan (1993) was introduced and the BRG/tan special edition (1991).

I'd had Fiats and Alfa's up to the point of the Miata coming on scene. I was initially disappointed when I first saw the car as it was smaller than I'd hoped and due to demand, very expensive. I finally got a chance to drive a used one while working in Charleston, SC and was immediately hooked as the car felt and sounded like a real sports car. The one I bought was bullet proof in the five years I owned it and was just as much fun when I sold it as it had been when I bought it. I sold my car due to the arrival of my second son.

Funny thing is that my son that has a Miata initially dismissed the car as a 'girls car'....until he drove one! Like father like son!

dghii

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 12:27AM by dghii. (view changes)
SPG356 - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 10:55:41 pm
dghii
I finally got a chance to drive a used one while working in Charleston, SC and was immediately hooked as the car felt and sounded like a real sports car. The one I bought was bullet proof in the five years I owned it and was just as much fun when I sold it as it had been when I bought it.

I totally agree, if there were no such thing as a Boxster I would have another Miata, the second most pure sports car on the market today!

Regards,

Sebastian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 10:56PM by SPG356. (view changes)
Re: So during Christmas....but I only have daughters.
tom coughlin - Monday, 2 January, 2012, at 10:56:24 am
Of course they know all about Porsches (I've owned a 356 since 1979) but none of them has the car bug at all. Second daughter recently had a part time catering job and one of her fellow workers gave a snide remark about having worked a party for a Porsche club, and made a comment along the lines about some big boys who had not yet grown up. My daughter laughed and told her fellow worker that her Dad had been a member of that club since she was 10 and, the members were not insane but just doing and enjoying their thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login