Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Popping out of second gear nearly all the time
ouroboros - Tuesday, 18 June, 2013, at 2:56:34 pm
Hi Guys,

The DD is at the garage so I've been having some fun with the Boxster. 2004 S 500 SE.
It's only got 26K miles on it and second will not stay engaged. It's popping out under any type acceleration. If I hold it in, it seems to engage after acceleration with a little bit of crunching and is then okay.

However some pretty nasty crunching is going on when it's not engaging/popping out!

Pretty sure this didn't start re wear (although the recent crunching over the past few days may not have helped!).

I see there is quite a bit on the net re this. Would be grateful if anyone could advise on how likely is to be worn linkage centers (it's very hot where I live) or if these detents are worth asking about when I take it to the garage?

Cheers,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 03:00PM by ouroboros. (view changes)
a bigger problem when the car was cold, but still happening after it was warm, too. My issue turned out to be a worn brass bushing where the (I think) linkage entered the gear housing. It's been too long, but I posted detailed descriptions and pics here long ago. That stuff will definitely still be searchable in the archives.
Re: I had this problem. Mine was usually
ouroboros - Tuesday, 13 August, 2013, at 12:48:42 pm
After driving 1st to 3rd for too long I took it to the local Independent who looks after my car.
They were very good, checked all the exterior linkage parts - nothing to be found there.
Next step is removal of the gearbox and disassemble. No budget for the labour on the 'fun car' at the moment.

On the basis it's probably the second gear dogring/syncro, I'm thinking of attempting to remove the transmission myself as a weekend project. I think I can manage this but would be grateful if anyone could advise if trying to open the gearbox/change the syncro is too advanced for a DIY mechanic with service only skills to now.

Searching Voxsters posts he briefly mentions a new aluminium/brass shift linkage change when he installed a short shifter kit - would be grateful if anyone can advise on this?

I'm also thinking of installing this before I go for the big job:

[www.gboxweb.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 12:50PM by ouroboros. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login