Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Fog light / Parking Light Issue
mnchstrcityblues79 - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 11:19:09 am
Greetings smiling smiley

I have a quick question that I hope you all can answer. I recently observed that when I engage my fog lights, the front right parking light stays on but the front left parking light does not. (Pictures below) Any idea what could be going on? Thank you!

Left

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Right

You might be engaging the "side of the road" feature.
Laz - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 12:09:05 pm
The rotary light switch has icons with detents at about the 10 to 11 o'clock position. You may see the associated rear taillight also on, so the car is illuminated for approaching traffic in both directions. I think they're gotten to by partly pulling the switch out, but not necessarily to where the fog light detent is. By the way, all the way out lights the rear fog, which is only on the driver's side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 12:15PM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
The rotary light switch has icons with detents at about the 10 to 11 o'clock position. You may see the associated rear taillight also on, so the car is illuminated for approaching traffic in both directions. I think they're gotten to by partly pulling the switch out, but not necessarily to where the fog light detent is. By the way, all the way out lights the rear fog, which is only on the driver's side.

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately it did not solve the problem. As an aside, if you have the regular lights on, the problem persists. However, as soon as you turn off the fog lights while the regular lights are on, the front left parking light become illuminated.
The only work that has been done is that recently replaced the parking bulb. Now here is the tricky part since I know you will ask next: no, I did not notice if I had the problem prior to replacing the bulb because - and I admit this with much embarrassment - I did not know I had fog lights until last night lol (my previous Boxster was a 99 without fog lights and I just got this 2003 recently).

As an aside, it seems quite apparent to me now that my newest Boxster was in a fender bender prior to my purchase. The driver's side headlight unit is "loose" in the body because the the headlight assembly plate is missing two of the three bolts attaching it to the frame. Parts inside the wheel well appear to be ever so out of whack too. I did try moving the headlight while the lights were on to see if a connection wasn't being made but it made no difference.

Here is a link to a video I made of the driver's side headlight assembly area: YouTube link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 04:23PM by mnchstrcityblues79. (view changes)
I was already beginning to think of a grounding issue:
Laz - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 4:36:37 pm
With my 2001 Litronic equipped car the whole headlamp assembly seemed to act as an essential part of the grounding, even though there's a wire harness plugged in. (Actually that's something to check: is it properly seated?) But back to the grounding. I noticed with mine if the headlight assembly wasn't completely "home" the lighting wouldn't operate. I think you need to assure proper grounding by getting that the headlight mount thoroughly fastened to the fender.
Laz
With my 2001 Litronic equipped car the whole headlamp assembly seemed to act as an essential part of the grounding, even though there's a wire harness plugged in. (Actually that's something to check: is it properly seated?) But back to the grounding. I noticed with mine if the headlight assembly wasn't completely "home" the lighting wouldn't operate. I think you need to assure proper grounding by getting that the headlight mount thoroughly fastened to the fender.

Sounds like a good first step ... any idea as to how difficult this is?
I mean do you think I will have to raise the vehicle to tighten the bolts
Laz, thank you for all your help so far; enjoy your few hours away smiling smiley

Ok, took her out for a spin (a joy as always) and have since had a change in circumstances:

1) driver-side fog no longer works:

2) the console display now has a "left arrow" display when the fogs are on:

3) and the rear fog now goes on even if the dial is not pull all the way out:

Any ideas?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 06:28PM by mnchstrcityblues79. (view changes)
I'm not an expert in this area, but it seems that you've made no other changes. I'm wondering if it's the switch that is going as Laz suggested earlier.

Have you noticed any other electronic gremlins - things not working as they should even if they seem unrelated, like the key a bit difficult to turn or difficult to pull out, door or doors not locking properly? If so, it could be the electronic part of the ignition switch.

But, from what you've described so far, my bet is on the light switch.
Guenter in Ontario
I'm not an expert in this area, but it seems that you've made no other changes. I'm wondering if it's the switch that is going as Laz suggested earlier.

Have you noticed any other electronic gremlins - things not working as they should even if they seem unrelated, like the key a bit difficult to turn or difficult to pull out, door or doors not locking properly? If so, it could be the electronic part of the ignition switch.

But, from what you've described so far, my bet is on the light switch.

Guenter, thank you and, to answer your question, no, nothing that I can think of. My passenger-side window does not descend when opening from the outside or inside door handle, but I believe that is lock-mechanism (or at least I hope so, I just spent $100 on a used mechanism I intend to install this week lol).

I hope it isn't the ignition switch. While it is a relatively inexpensive part, it is hell to do switch-out (that was my first fix on my old 99 Boxster).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 07:29PM by mnchstrcityblues79. (view changes)
Going by those images, I'd say the light switch,
Laz - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 11:55:43 pm
but bad connections and or grounds in the headlight and fender can do some mighty strange things, too. You do have the most obvious problem there.
Laz
but bad connections and or grounds in the headlight and fender can do some mighty strange things, too. You do have the most obvious problem there.

Yeah, looks like I will be making an online order with DCAutomotive lol

As an aside, the "bolts" I appear to be missing are, to the best of my knowledge, "Headlight Adjusters." Anyone reading these, please correct me if I am wrong.

Again, Laz, thank you so much for your help.
The first time, I had removed the assembly to work on something (don't remember what). I noticed that the wiring cable was wrapped strangely and I decided to clean things up and untangle it. When I went to re-insert the headlight, I could never get it to seat correctly and only some functions on the headlamp unit worked. I screwed with it for an hour and finally decided to rise the left front and remove the wheel liner and see what was going on. Turns out that by unwrapping the cable, it slid in front of the electroinc coupling and kept the unit from getting completely seated. I moved the wire out of the way and everything worked fine! Go figure!

The second time, I could not get the litronics to fire every time I turned them on. I could flash the headlights and run the other lights, but I could not get the headlights to come on every time I turned the switch. Turned out to be a bad light switch which I replaced and everything was fine.

My lesson here, is that if it is acting strangely, especially if the mounting bracket is not secure, I would recommend removing the wheel and the wheel liner and make sure that you are getting a good solid connection and a solid seating for the unit. You should probably do this regardless of what the problem is. Once you get that done, and if it is still acting strangely, then try replacing the switch.

Good luck!
jg atl
The first time, I had removed the assembly to work on something (don't remember what). I noticed that the wiring cable was wrapped strangely and I decided to clean things up and untangle it. When I went to re-insert the headlight, I could never get it to seat correctly and only some functions on the headlamp unit worked. I screwed with it for an hour and finally decided to rise the left front and remove the wheel liner and see what was going on. Turns out that by unwrapping the cable, it slid in front of the electroinc coupling and kept the unit from getting completely seated. I moved the wire out of the way and everything worked fine! Go figure!

The second time, I could not get the litronics to fire every time I turned them on. I could flash the headlights and run the other lights, but I could not get the headlights to come on every time I turned the switch. Turned out to be a bad light switch which I replaced and everything was fine.

My lesson here, is that if it is acting strangely, especially if the mounting bracket is not secure, I would recommend removing the wheel and the wheel liner and make sure that you are getting a good solid connection and a solid seating for the unit. You should probably do this regardless of what the problem is. Once you get that done, and if it is still acting strangely, then try replacing the switch.

Good luck!

I just wanted to write and thank everyone for the input. After some "fiddling" I was able to properly seat the headlight despite the loose plate. This fixed every single problem (aside from the underlying problem of a poorly secured headlight plate). The next step will be to purchase the missing headlight adjustors and attempt to secure the plate.

Again, thank you all; what a great community smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login