Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Rear wheel in front trunk, '98 Boxster.
p-wagen - Tuesday, 17 January, 2012, at 4:48:02 pm
Will a rear wheel fit in the front trunk of a '98 Boxster after the emergency spare is removed? I had heard that it won't. If not, I guess it would fit on the passenger seat. But if you had a passenger, I would think they would not be too happy to be left on the side of the road.angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 05:08PM by p-wagen. (view changes)
Had a flat RR one time, changed to the spare on my 02S.....
jg wnc - Tuesday, 17 January, 2012, at 5:15:12 pm
and had to carry the flat tire in a bag in the passenger's seat. Would not fit in the front storage. It might fit in the rear storage with some bungy cords to keep the lid from flopping about.
Unless it's the ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 17 January, 2012, at 5:25:37 pm
... 16" rear wheel it will not fit in a '97-'99 front trunk.
As jg says you can put it in the rear trunk with a bungee cord keeping the lid down.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Forgot to qualify...... I have 18" wheels. *NM*
jg wnc - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 8:21:20 am
No..it doesn't fit in a 986 with a 17" wheel
patrick - Tuesday, 17 January, 2012, at 11:16:20 pm
I recently picked up a nail in the rear of my 97 986 17" rear tire. It would not fit in the front trunk with the spare removed. I could not close the trunk.
I'm afraid the tire rides on the front seat or on the lap of your passenger.
I had the shop remove the tire and I could carry the rim in the front trunk.
Re: Rear wheel in front trunk, '98 Boxster.
p-wagen - Wednesday, 18 January, 2012, at 3:01:28 pm
Thank you all for your inputs. There seems to be agreement that a 17 inch rear wheel with tire will not fit in the front trunk of a '98 Boxster, leaving the choices to either the rear trunk with bungee cords to hold the lid down, or the passenger seat.
thought not at the same time! and in fact a couple of times I have used the Boxster to ferry the 996's rear wheel/tire to/from the tire shop to get a puncture repaired or to even have new tires fitted. I was reluctant to leave the 996 there for new tires because I was afraid while I'm sure the shop would swear up and down it new how to lift the car properly it would be lifted incorrectly, and possibly subjected to a joyride by the tech after the tires were fitted.

I've never used the rear trunk because I'm afraid of the wheel/tire shifting from g-forces and doing some body/paint damage or even coming loose and falling out onto the roadway.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
An old solution:
Laz - Thursday, 19 January, 2012, at 3:11:35 pm
and an old one too based on the car's vintage...

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login