Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 2006 Cayman S with 39,000 miles. Porsche dealer in Houston wants $4,000 to fix the passenger side air bag fault light. I was told there that the assembly under the passenger seat must be warped and the whole assembly under the seat must be replaced. Estimate was $4k. Anyone have a workaround? I'm pretty good at wrenching and could replace the electrical assembly if it is warped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 07:30PM by ocgarza. (view changes)
First since this is a safety device I'd look into filing a complaint with the NHTSA.

I'd then speak with dealer about this and ask why this shouldn't be covered by some good will from Porsche. At some point in the discussion I'd casually let it drop that I had been in contact with the NHTSA about filing a report. It is not like air bags are wear items, or you abused the car, or used it in a way that was inappropriate. No way should normal usage of a car compromise something like the air bag system.

If this doesn't help I'd still file a complaint with the NHTSA. It might tell you to get stuffed, but you never know.

Next price the parts that need to be replaced. Maybe you could buy the part(s) and do the labor yourself? 'course, I suspect a good percentage of that $4000 quote is parts cost, as I can't think it would require that much labor to replace what I suspect is the sensor that detects if the seat is occupied or empty.
that starts at the floor pan under the seat and extends up to the seat is the issue? Is it the metal support welded to the floor pan that is the issue?

Anything get jammed under there?

Wreckers may have some exact match for the seat and the mounting.

Of course care when assembling because the air bags could go off if there is power to the unit. And there is liability should someone be injured while sitting there.

Ah for the days when seats were simple things without motors, sensors, fans, heaters, massagers, air-bags and the like.
In my experience, a dealer 'fix' is usually replacement of parts until the problem goes away, not actually 'fixing' a broken piece. Since you're out of warranty, perhaps consider a visit to a reputable local independent like a shop recommended by your local PCA chapter?
Try moving the passenger seat forward a few inches and pull the passenger seat top part forward. Put the top part back. Start the car.

Any luck?

MIKELLIG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login