Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
... this is my version of adapting:

Happy Walking,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Been around for centuries...
Davzin - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 5:16:23 pm
...the heel 'n' toe express...I try to log some miles everyday.
Absolutely. Do that on short (mile or two) trips all the time.

How many mps do you get?
when I was a runner...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 6:01:18 pm
... I'd get about 600 miles per pair of shoes (about 4 months).
Now they last me years sad smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Good news and bad news
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 6:12:18 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... I'd get about 600 miles per pair of shoes (about 4 months).
Now they last me years sad smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Well good news is that you might soon be getting 600 mps (miles per sole) again.

Bad news is you'll be running by signs displaying "Gas $5.99."

We're currently at $4.73 for 87 octane and $5.49 for 94 octane.
Re: You can always downsizeconfused smiley
carlos in Montreal - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 6:37:55 pm
Re: You can always downsizeconfused smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 7:56:12 pm
.......AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHH! eye popping smiley

...travel more because there will probably be less grinning smileytraffic
Excercise?
Sheriff John - Wednesday, 22 February, 2012, at 7:55:44 pm
Whenever I get the urge to excersise, I lay down until it goes away!
$5.00 gas today is 80 cents - $100 / gal in 1968, when it was what, 65 cents?

yes its up, but not by as much as people think.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
$5.00 gas today is 80 cents - $100 / gal in 1968, when it was what, 65 cents?

yes its up, but not by as much as people think.

Grant

Looks like it was about $.33/gal in non adjusted dollars.
Here's a link on this

[inflationdata.com]

It would appear we're ready to break some new ground--in constant dollars--for the price of gasoline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 08:12AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
The world is full of oil. The issue is not scarcity, but two: 1) political stability among the cheapest suppliers, and 2) diversity of cheap supply. There are many, many sources of oil in the world but they are not fully integrated into the world markets due the cost of production and distribution to the world's markets (the oceans). The reason the world buys Canadian, Mexican, Venezuelan, and Arab oil is that they are the cheapest. There is a myth that they have it and no one else does. Arab oil is the cheapest in the world to produce and get to the oceans... my memory fails me but I am directionally correct on this one... the cost of Arab production is around a 1-2$ per barrel - nice margin eh?

So... when prices rise, other high-cost producers who could not make a profit when the price per barrel was low now can make a profit and begin production and piping to the closest coast. This increase in supply then puts pressure on the market, price stabilizes, and then will drop. Of course, it takes some months for production to re-start on these wells so prices can spike quickly in the short term.

Why the call to drill? It is not about finding more of a scarce resource, it is about finding a diversity of cheap supply.

By the way, this is why "alternative" powered cars are such a silly myth...... What do you think producers like the Arabs will do as some alternative system comes on line for cars? Do you think they will just say "well it was good while it lasted?". No, they just lower the price and crush any alternative. This reality is why venture capital has been so slow and spotty into investing in alternative power systems. They know.
NM and into the TX panhandle and on into OK.

I often stop west of OKC but this last time I had trouble finding a motel room. I talked to a clerk and he told me the oil well drillers had booked up most of the rooms. I had spotted (at night) the well-lite well rigs (some are quite close to the freeway) but didn't think anything about it. The clerk at one motel I tried and failed to get a room (the motel was booked) told me alot of the motels along this route and off it as well were booked up by sometimes as early as 5pm.

Even way out in Amarillo at the Drury Inn there were lots of well rig workers there. While checking in a spotted hotel employees moving lots of racks of uniforms and at first I thought it was for the hotel employees, though the uniforms didn't look very hotel-ish. I said something and was told they were for the oil well workers. In some cases the workers were two to a room: One guy had the room during the day (he worked the night shift) and another had the room during the night (day shift worker).

Oh, gas prices along that route were the lowest of the trip. And at many restaurants there was a line of customers waiting for a seat. Car dealers looked busy and well the whole area seemed to be buzzing like a beehive.

Low gas prices. Booming economy... Which reminds me and I wish I saved the article, but I read in the OKC paper that due to the increased 'energy' business state revenues were up over 25% over projections.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I do recall a few years ago when gas was cheaper than a gallon of bottled water!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
about $0.10/gallon!

Thankfully my local Shell station hasn't fallen prey to this and still charges the same price for credit card and cash purchases, and it still offers competitive prices.

Like always I keep a sharp eye out for name brand stations that offer top tier gasoline at competitive prices. For instance, today on the way to the office I spotted a 76 station in Hayward CA located on A Street between 880 and Hesperian that had gas priced about as low as I've seen recently. My Boxster's tank wasn't even down a quarter of a tank so I didn't stop. But I'll remember and be back!

Sincerely,

MarcW.
It's pretty stable under $3.50 around here *NM*
Boxsterra - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 9:09:25 am
I am now using fifth gear. *NM*
JM-Stamford,CT - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 9:24:01 am
Re: Now that gas is approaching $5.00/gal how will you adapt ?...
jwdbox - Thursday, 23 February, 2012, at 10:07:27 am
Seek out and use Costco's gas whenever I can. Filled up SilverBox yesterday and saved 30 cents per gallon over local Chevrons. I am headed over to tour Nethercutt and Mullin Museums in California starting tomorrow and have already got the Costco's programmed into the trip advisor.cool smiley
The idea comes from watching a mechanic get a dead-engined car off the street and into his shop. Went right up the driveway curb cut, across the sidewalk and past the garage door.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login