Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Time to trade her in?
trilla00986 - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 7:14:02 pm
Ive owned my 2000 Boxster for about 10 years now and have loved every minute. But Im looking at a pretty hefty repair bill - clutch and flywheel ($2850), 90k service ($965), front tires (about $400), and I have a nasty whining noise coming from the front end, maybe a bad power steering pump. In the last year, Ive had to replace the alternator and water pump costing me roughly $2000. Things are starting to add up. Cant decide whether to fix her all up and hope she will last for another 2-3 years maintenance free or cut my losses and trade her in.
See Guenter's post immediately below
Roger987 - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 7:32:12 pm
If you're thinking you might keep your 2000 Boxster for a while, avoid reading /watching anything relating to the introduction of the 981. winking smiley
Tough decision
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 9:50:18 pm
I've owned probably 30 cars over the last 50 years and I've made the decision to over-maintain a car and been wrong probably 10 times. It was not uncommon for me to put new Michelins on a car and yet trade it in 2-3k miles later. Did that twice last year.

The only one I over-maintained and didn't regret it was my Boxster.
What are the particulars on your car
dghii - Tuesday, 28 February, 2012, at 10:01:37 pm
Mileage, condition, auto/manual, color...what you got?smoking smiley

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: What are the particulars on your car
trilla00986 - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 1:38:13 am
Slate grey, grey interior, black top, 81k miles, excellent condition, could pass for a car with 20k miles. Brings a tear to my eye to think of trading her but I think it needs to be done.
Re: What are the particulars on your car
trilla00986 - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 1:39:01 am
Manual. Of course.
Re: Time to trade her in?
Mark from SC - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 8:14:59 am
These cars have already taken a big hit in price, and with the items you listed, you will take an even bigger hit if you trade it in. If you love the car, and it is in such good shape, financially it would probably make sense to fix her up. Of course, you never know what else may go tomorrow. However, if you just want to update the car, then go for it. You won't probably get much for yours. I tend to drive most of my cars until the wheels fall off, but eventually I do upgrade, but don't usually get much in trade for any of them.
is a pretty small chunk of the delta to a new Boxster, at what, $60k?

If you are considering a newer used Boxster, then it wont have brand new tires or clutch.

So i fail to even see a valid question here!

Unless you have "fat wallet syndrome" and want a quick cure, keep it.

While you are doing the clutch, you might do the IMS end bearing pro-actively. Should be about another $1100 or so, all in.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 01:17PM by grant. (view changes)
And it sounds like most of your problems are of the "used up its life expectancy" nature. The problem you face is that expectation that if you solve these problems, others won't await for a few years. 10 year old car, 90k miles. Stuff wears out and other stuff deteriorates. True of any car. No telling when...someone has to be on each end of the bell curve plotting longevity versus failures.

But compare the value of your car ($10k max and I wouldn't pay half that in its current condition) and the price of even a nice '09 (saw a used one the other day advertised for $61k but they can be had for as low as $45k if you shop right and want a low-options base).

So which is worse, pay for the repairs now and gamble or pay maybe $35k+ and gamble in a year when the warranty runs out?

Yes, the early '05 is cheaper but nearer the end of the life cycle for parts that deteriorate and probably near the wear limit and you have the IMS to consider.

If your luck is good, any choice is going to make you feel good. If it is bad, then none will but at least with the repair choice you have $$ in your pocket to deal with it.
current car and given its current needs it won't be pretty.

Then on top of this factor in the depreciation you take when you buy a new car...

Maybe the flywheel's ok? Not every clutch job requires the flywheel be replaced.

You can tailor/pare down the 90K service and save some money.

Tires is tires.

The noise from the front sounds like (well, reads like) the pressure relief valve in the power steering line has failed and the power steering rack is receiving full pressure power steering fluid. This will ruin (if it hasn't already) the power steer rack and as the fluid squeezes around/past the rack seals (and is captured -- for a while anyhow -- by the rack dust boots) the power steering pump reservoir runs low on fluid and then you''re looking at a power steering pump, line, rack, possibly an alignment.

Still, work the numbers and see what you come up with.

I put over $3K into my 02 Boxster (it needed a VarioCam solenoid and actuator) with around 200K miles on the car.

Before doing so, I visited some car dealers -- Mini for one -- and oh even the price of a Cooper S Coupe is out the door around $30K. And the Boxster was worth zilch with the bad solenoid/actuator.

Checked out some other cars too, but I decided to fix the Boxster.

Glad I did. It has been running just great ever since and I've put another 50K miles on it since then.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Time to trade her in?
danz76 - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 11:07:02 am
I have an '01 S in great shape, and have given the same consideration to mine lately, as well as to my '02 Grand Cherokee. While I traded in the Jeep on an '07 (and bought a 2 year warranty), I decided to keep the Boxster and do the work it needed. The Boxster has much more sentimental value to me, and since I can't easily afford the payments on an '07 Boxtser, I kept mine.
Prices... 09
AS2003 - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 2:43:50 pm
Per Mike's comments on 09 Boxster prices... I have a 09 base, well optioned, with a little over 30K and in PERFECT condition. I also over maintain the car with frequent oil and filter changes. I would sell it in a heartbeat for $45K to buy a 997.2, but I think the trade and private sale price is almost 10K less than that. Having said that, I think an '09/'10 at $35K is the best buy Porsche out there. It's taken the biggest depreciation hit already, it has all the modern updates (bluetooth, btr TPMS, etc.) and you don't have to worry about the IMS engine failures. I think the next "best buy" is rolling the dice with the IMS and purchasing a 05 987 for $20K or so. Keep us updated and good luck.
Asking prices
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 5:34:44 pm
You can find a few '09 cars in the $35-40 range (2), most base '09 cars are in the $40s asking with Ss in the $50s. (Prices from autotrader.com searching for Porsche Boxster '09-'10)

How about the '05 with LN update? Purchase for $22k to $36k, $2k for service and $2k for IMS and $1400 for the best tires.

But if you buy a newer car, you are stuck selling yours and putting out $20-40k for a car you'll know relatively little about. That makes even $4-6k into the car whose history you know sound better. You'd still have $14-34k in your bank account or credit line to deal with any problem (and they can occur on any car be it '05, '09 or whatever).
In a sense you've already paid the repair cost
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 6 March, 2012, at 9:13:14 pm
or at least a good portion of it. A buyer will pay much less for a car in need of substantial repairs.

As others have already stated it is cheaper to keep it than to replace it.

The reasons for replacing it would be to get something new, something different, something more reliable. You have to decide how much those things are worth to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login