Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
New York Auto Show Boxster Unveiling
Dave In MD - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 7:03:00 pm
Porsche and PCA had the North America unveiling of the new Boxster this morning before the opening of the New York Auto Show. Got a few pictures uploaded and thought I'd put them up. We got to sit in it, open the frunk, trunk and play with the top. The key was in the ignition, there just wasn't a path to the street. confused smiley

It was a great event with the folks from Porsche doing the honors and describing many of the new technical features. The scoops on both sides take in air for the engine as well as for cooling the engine compartment. If you reach inside you can feel the separate intakes. My take on the scoops is that they look great. You can see the connection to the Carrera GT but it's not over done.

While I don't think I'll be getting one with the two tone seats, the interior has a bit more room and you sit down in the cockpit more like the 986. Sat in the drivers seat and played with the shifter and I like that it's a bit higher. Seems like an improvement to me and think it will be a help on the track.

The whole rear end of the car looks larger. Longer trunk lid, the top folds into a smaller area making the lid unnecessary and the width and height of the total area of the rear is more pronounced. It looks much more aggressive.

The mirror on the door looks fine. You can also see the separation of the two intakes in this shot. If you look closely at the top of fender, you can see some of the ridges that run down them. They're very subtle, but there.

Working on weeding out the shots I took and uploading. When I get them all in place I'll post a link to the site.

I think the car is a hit. Actually, I told one of the Porsche factory guys that it seems more like a return to the 986 in that it seems focused on performance fundamentals and a bit less on the cushy / luxury bits than the 987 was. We'll see if it performs to that level. There were some interesting bits that seems to be saying that was their focus. Like, the alternator charges the battery when braking and not when accelerating.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
That's Guenter squealing with delight after reading your comments regarding the shifter. winking smiley
Here's a link to the other pics...
Dave In MD - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 8:52:08 pm
and I posted the comment about the shifter just for Guenter! Really, I think it's fine. It not as high as it seems and is a nice distance from the wheel. The whole cabin feel is lower and maybe it's just me, seemed more 986 like than what always felt to me like the upright seats of the 987. Really personal preference I know. But, I think I'd rather have it as a replacement for my 986.

Here's the full online album I've uploaded.

Boxster 981

Thank again. Great photos.
Roger987 - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 9:19:17 pm
Some clearly depict depict how the formerly round fenders have been squared off. It's a marked departure for Porsche. I would think that this new fender shape and sculpted sides will be with us for a while. Porsche isn't known to change fundamental design elements on a whim.
thank you! *NM*
Gundo - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 9:26:20 pm
Sure wish I'd been able to make it to the show. .....sigh.

I appreciate the comment on the shifter. It's encouraging. I'll look forward to trying one out on the road.

The mirrors look OK. I just think the Boxster deserves something a little more special. These just seem to look common like on a Kia or Honda.

The area around the top and roll bars really looks neat and clean compared to previous models. Judging from your comments, I take it that the 981 will look even better in the metal than it does in pictures. It looks like over all, Porsche has hit a real homerun with this car.

Love that sports steering wheel.
The mirrors...
Dave In MD - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 10:34:02 pm
swivel! Not sure if they do for adjustment, but somebody hit a switch and they turned completely in toward the window. They looked more aero that way. Doubt that's why they do it, (although the on the fender may be about areo) but the thought came to my mind that it would be handy for the track. After all, objects in mirror are losing... smileys with beer

Re: The mirrors...
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 6 April, 2012, at 11:18:24 pm
Dave In MD
swivel! Not sure if they do for adjustment, but somebody hit a switch and they turned completely in toward the window. They looked more aero that way. Doubt that's why they do it, (although the on the fender may be about areo) but the thought came to my mind that it would be handy for the track. After all, objects in mirror are losing... smileys with beer

Not sure about the 986 mirrors, but the 987 mirrors also fold inward. It has to be done manually. I think folding them out of the way is mainly for transport or parking. While driving, I definitely want them in regular position. I like to know what's going on around me on the road.

I guess I just like the biped mirrors of the 987 - different and more sporty looking.
Re: The mirrors...
db997S - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 8:43:44 am
Yes, most cars, particularly foreign have the mirrors fold in (most manually). it's for parking. If you've ever been to other countries, you see people parked on the street with their street-side mirror folded in. Some cities and villages have very old, narrow streets. This saves on constantly having to buy new mirrors that get knocked off by passing motorists. IT would have been cool for Porsche to have this programed to hapen automatically when the key turns off or when a PDK is placed into park.
Ever notice how rainwater puddles in the leeward area of the side windows, thereby obscuring the mirror views? The door panel mounting eliminates those dead airflow areas. They may not be as aesthetically pleasing as the old style, but certainly have better functionality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 10:33PM by Laz. (view changes)
Hi Dave,

I was there also!

IMHO, the car is drop dead gorgeousthumbs up. The way the rear lights blend into the spoiler looks fantastic. The pictures can't do it justice - needs to be seen.

I agree that the shifter is well positioned and the short throws seem crisp - at least with the engine off.

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: New York Auto Show Boxster Unveiling
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 7 April, 2012, at 5:34:44 pm
Ed from Long Island
Hi Dave,

I was there also!

IMHO, the car is drop dead gorgeousthumbs up. The way the rear lights blend into the spoiler looks fantastic. The pictures can't do it justice - needs to be seen.

I agree that the shifter is well positioned and the short throws seem crisp - at least with the engine off.

Ed

Thanks for posting, Ed. It's encouraging to hear that the throws are short. Are they like the short shift? I think that's what the standard shifter on the Boxster should be.
With confirmation that the 981's manual shifter is fine, there will be no holding him back....

And yes, I'm jealous. smiling smiley
Roger987
With confirmation that the 981's manual shifter is fine, there will be no holding him back....

And yes, I'm jealous. smiling smiley

.....hmmm confirmation hasn't been made by the hand that signs the cheque. cool smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Thanks for posting the pictures
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Saturday, 7 April, 2012, at 3:12:02 pm
I'm still a confirmed hater, but always fun to see the new stuff.

I do like the new top.
[www.bloomberg.com]

A little mainstream-targeted, but I take umbrage and "more manly" comments. My '09 is manly enough, thank you very much. Geez Louise...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 10:47AM by Leor ('09S, North of Boston). (view changes)
"What do you call these things?"

Well, jacka*ss, those would be called 'roll bars'.

Full marks to the Porsche rep for his graceful handling of the idiot's comments/questions. The worse ones, he simply ignored.
More like an 11 or 12. What a dork!!!!!
here's photographic evidence to the contrary:

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Video interview with Deltev von Platen
Laz - Tuesday, 10 April, 2012, at 10:28:10 pm
I thought Matt Miller was a car guy until viewing this inept interview. Imagine trying to explain the difference between a "roll bar" and an "antiroll bar" to him.
How do morons like that get jobs?
frogster - Wednesday, 11 April, 2012, at 12:20:23 pm
this interviewer was an utter moron! "that's 'nurburgring' for those of you who don't speak german" what?!?! He also asks how anyone can buy a porsche with an automatic. i'll bet he has absolutely no clue as to what PDK is and how it works.
I really can't help but wonder how idiots like this can get a job. there are thousands of others that would be infinitely more qualified than this guy and who would make viewing a bloomberg video much more enjoyable. this was pathetic.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sierra Hotel cool smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 12:12:51 pm
But is it hot enough for a slider? *NM*
Laz - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 4:08:26 pm
Ummm...
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 4:42:00 pm

With the aroma permeating the Boxster on the way back to work smileys with beer
One good turn deserves another.
Laz - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 7:07:03 pm
Is that sausage pizza?
Re: One good turn deserves another.
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 7:13:37 pm
No, but the sub is a foot long....
Re: No, but the sub is a foot long....
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Tuesday, 17 April, 2012, at 1:33:00 pm
I know of a girl who had a 12" yardstick tattooed on the inside of one of her legs just below her crotch, with the inscription, "THIS is 12-inches". Maybe we should call her in for a measurement. confused smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
This is why I love this site...
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 17 April, 2012, at 2:52:02 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
I know of a girl who had a 12" yardstick tattooed on the inside of one of her legs just below her crotch, with the inscription, "THIS is 12-inches". Maybe we should call her in for a measurement. confused smiley

Where else could a post about a new Boxster model devolve into a discussion that includes the quote above!! Looking forward to seeing everyone at BRBS.

smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

I didn't think "foot stick" sounded right, and I remembered the term "ruler" after it was too late to edit. Doh confused smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 05:57PM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
I think the gas companies are working on it now.
A pound of coffee is already 12 ounces. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 18 April, 2012, at 6:47:52 am
nah..
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 18 April, 2012, at 4:37:17 pm
They'll just convert pricing in the states to liters. 1 liter = 0.264172052 US gallons. Most people will be confused for years and think it's cheap. confused smiley

That's some gut bomb. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 13 April, 2012, at 7:13:47 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login