Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My New Cockpit Cover
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 8 April, 2012, at 8:55:13 pm
aka The Porsche Prophylactic

I told MikenOh about my new cover and he asked how it slipped onto my car, which I couldn't answer as it was still in its shipping box. Yesterday I took it out and slipped it on my erect roofed Pcar, and took a few pics.

To install, slip it on the car (w/ or w/o erect roof) and place the mirrors in their pockets, then secure the front Velcro straps to the windshield wipers:

Then open the trunk and place the back straps inside the trunk lid and close:

The side straps go into the bottom door-jams. And the new sheathed car looks like this:

As you can see, it covers the entire windshield, cockpit, and roof, and is of course, liquid-proof. The doors are also covered with padded material to prevent door-strikes.

It is thin, lightweight, and comes with its own bag. The company offers many colors, but this light gray does the best job of reflecting sunlight. $140 + shipping. I am guessing that the benefits of this type of cover vs. a full cover is: 1) cost, 2) storage compactness, and 3) ease of installation, removal, and storage.

PorscheSolutions

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 08:57PM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Re: My New Cockpit Cover
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Sunday, 8 April, 2012, at 9:10:18 pm
Hey, I forgot to ask on the previous thread: were you aware that this particular '09S configuration is known as the "launch car"? An identical specimen was sent to each P-car dealer and served sort of as the rolling demo. When I purchased mine (at Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston) in Fall of '09, it had been the sales manager's wheels while it was there, so he basically broke it in for me. I believe it had about 1800 miles on the clock, and I was able to knock a few bucks off the price.

Does yours also lack automatic climate control? I hate that, esp. since I drive year-round in the Boston area. When it's cold, I have to futz with the climate settings for the first 5-10 minutes of driving. I cannot understand why they'd ship ANY P-cars without automatic climate control (yeah, yeah, I know the actual reason, but it pisses me off....)

It took me probably about a year to really "bond" with the PDK, where I'm confident I can make it do whatever it has to do in a way that's as responsive as the car would be if I were driving a stick. There are...."ideosyncracies". But overall it's a wonderful system, and a wonderful car. There's very little about the new '13s that causes me any envy. A PASM that actually softens the ride for rough roads would probably be #1 on my wish-list....definintely nowhere near enough to justify an upgrade. I plan to own this car for ten years, beating my previous record for length of time owning a single car (my '97 Prelude SH that I kept for 9 years, before trading it for my first Box...)
Re: AC, PDK, BB, CV, and FT
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 8:03:54 am

Does yours also lack automatic climate control?

Yes, it lacks climate control. But the seats are heated.

I like the PDK and am driving it in manual mode using the gear shift. I tried the buttons, but they can't be used while turning.

The car does on its first trip tomorrow. I am driving to Charlottesville, VA and picking up a friend, then continuing on to Norfolk. We will be touring the BB Wisconsin, the CV Yorktown, and Fort Monroe. Pictures to follow.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login