Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
High speed crash on autobahn involving BMW M5
MikenOH - Friday, 20 April, 2012, at 12:49:06 pm
[www.motorauthority.com]

I have to say, the passenger compartment survived remarkably well given the speeds involved.
The driver of the crashed car claimed another driver getting on the autobahn --driving "erratically"--was the cause of the accident.
Re: High speed crash on autobahn involving BMW M5
db997S - Friday, 20 April, 2012, at 3:04:53 pm
A BMW M family for sure. See, if there were black boxes available the one in his car could have possibly backed up his story. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
etc. Thus proving his guilt b/c he wasn't in control of his own car.

Now, once big brother does a database query of all black boxes in area at the time, they might find some "other" car close to him at the time he lost control. But since there was no evidence of impact [sighted in article] w/ other car, it would again just show driver of M5 was in the wrong. However, tickets and fines would be automatically assessed for all car/drivers in area at the time who committed some infraction or another based on the data... even though it had no bearing on this guy not being in control of his own vehicle. So thanks Mr. M5 and mandatory black boxes for the 5points on my license and increased insurance premiums for improper signaling on a lane change even though no other cars were around.

Good try though winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2012 03:34PM by Burg Boxster. (view changes)
I've only driven on the autobahn for 3 days back in 2000, but one of the things I did notice is the lane discipline (slower cars right, no one camping out in the left lane) and that it seemed that everyone understood how the system worked and stayed within the rules.
I have to say that when you're flying in that left lane, passing traffic on your right that might be moving 60 mph less than you are, I felt I had to concentrate on both lanes equally for fear of somebody just pulling out--like they would in the states. With those kinds of closing speeds, all it takes is one guy not paying attention and you've got a disaster.

Makes me wonder how often this happens?

This story made me think of a video I saw with a Corvette Z06 traveling over 300kph on an autobahn stretch, with traffic nearby, here it is:
[www.youtube.com]

Near the end he passes a minivan in the next lane at 300kph+, moving over a bit to give the van a bit more room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2012 05:02PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
that car is not doing 330KPH
frogster - Saturday, 21 April, 2012, at 1:38:51 am
there's something fishy about that video. there is no possible way that car is going 200KPH FASTER than the cars and trucks he's passing. those big trucks aren't going more than about 120 KPH. neither are the mini-vans, etc.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: that car is not doing 330KPH
MikenOH - Saturday, 21 April, 2012, at 11:23:26 am
I wondered about that, thinking truck traffic should be in the 100-120kph range (?)
But then I found this other Corvette video in DE and the general traffic speed looked to be around 160-180 kph (100mph+). The red car hits 220 kph and he doesn't look like he's going nearly as fast as the Z06.

Other video:
[www.youtube.com]

Possibly for a better comparison, here is ZL1 video on a test track breaking 200mph--watch how fast he blows by a truck on the road near the end to me it looked similar to how that yellow Z06 was passing trucks on the autobahn:

[www.youtube.com]
the suggested limit (even though the section is derestricted) and has an accident he's automatically assigned at least half the blame.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
the law in switzerland is…
frogster - Saturday, 21 April, 2012, at 2:38:42 pm
that if you hit someone from behind, it's pretty much your fault. even if they cut you off, you have to be in control of your vehicle.

i would suppose that since the laws in switzerland are essentially the same as in germany, that the rules would be like that in germany as well.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: Autobahn Video
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 21 April, 2012, at 12:01:27 pm

...there is no possible way that car is going 200KPH FASTER than the cars and trucks he's passing.

The problem is we don't know the speed of the other vehicles. And the camera lens also distorts vehicles in the far right lane.

I used to live in Germany and spent alot of time on the Autobahns. I still remember one evening I was in the middle lane doing 70mph and saw headlights flashing a looong way back in my rear-view mirror. A very few seconds later two 911s rocketed past me so fast the van I was driving was buffeted. I estimated their speed at >150mph.

Since then I have done alot of high-speed driving on our interstates and compared my experiences to what I saw in the first video. I watched the video twice w/o looking at the HUD, estimating the speed as he passed different vehicles. I then watched it a third time while looking at the HUD and transposing KPM to MPH. Everything looked consistent w/ my experience.

I liked how stable the car was "at speed", but am guessing 911s would do just as well.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2012 12:03PM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Re: Autobahn Video
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 21 April, 2012, at 12:13:33 pm
Here's the one I posted a while back. Driving a 996 on the Autobahn in 2000. At that time, trucks were limited to 100 kph / 63 mph.

First part is 200 kph / 125 mph

Second part 250 kph / 150 mph. Shaking is due to the excitment of the passenger/camera person. smiling smiley

[pedrosboard.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login