Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
european delivery payment questions
frogster - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 4:06:43 pm
I was just talking to a friend of mine in switzerland and he was aghast at the price difference for a panamera in the US vs Switzerland. It's virutally double over there. This got him to thinking about just ording a US car with European delivery and "forgetting" to ship it over.
I'm sure that Porsche has thought of this and has taken precautions to make it difficult or impossible to do.
When you order a car in the US for European delivery, do you pay the sales tax and registration already when you order the car or only once the car arrives in the US? Is there any kind of deposit to guarantee that you'll bring the car back to the US? How can they prevent you from leaving the car in Europe?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: european delivery payment questions
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 5:34:39 pm
frogster
I was just talking to a friend of mine in switzerland and he was aghast at the price difference for a panamera in the US vs Switzerland. It's virutally double over there. This got him to thinking about just ording a US car with European delivery and "forgetting" to ship it over.
I'm sure that Porsche has thought of this and has taken precautions to make it difficult or impossible to do.
When you order a car in the US for European delivery, do you pay the sales tax and registration already when you order the car or only once the car arrives in the US? Is there any kind of deposit to guarantee that you'll bring the car back to the US? How can they prevent you from leaving the car in Europe?

Well for one thing, if you order a US car for European delivery, it will have the US specs. Not sure how it would be accepted over there. Just like someone on this board found that a European spec car might be hard to bring into Canada. winking smiley So it could be that the Swiss govenment might let him licence it for permanent use over there.

The factory delivery includes temporary tags and paper work to allow you to drive the car for a set period of time. It also includes shipping to the US.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
My guess
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 8:16:26 pm
is that registration will be a trip-wire as the lack of VAT payment will be a red-flag.
Re: My guess
frogster - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 8:37:45 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
is that registration will be a trip-wire as the lack of VAT payment will be a red-flag.

when you buy something in germany for export, you don't pay VAT (doesn't matter what the destination country is.) You pay VAT in Switzerland when you import it. I've done that many times. That's very common since Switzerland is not in the EU.

--
frogster - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 8:34:48 pm
it's fairly easy to import cars with n. american specs into switzerland. you just have to make a few mods (speedo if it's in MPH, some lights, etc.) but they're easy to do. Mostly just swapping those parts.
The authorities aren't as much of a pain in the arse as they are here.

so the question remains; i order/buy the car in n. america. i pick it up at the factory. i drive into switzerland and register it there instead of delivering it back to porsche to ship to the US. how can porsche stop me from doing this?

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 08:41PM by frogster. (view changes)
I was thinking about this issue and was wondering how porsche could prevent you from driving the car to another country and registering it there. The only way would be if in fact you didn't own the car yet. Porsche keeps ownership of the car and "lends" it to you to toodle around europe for a few weeks before you give it back to them and they deliver it to you in the US or canada.

Has anyone here taken european delivery? if so, what paperwork was involved for driving the car over there?

--
two things to consider:
  1. You prepay the VAT tax in the States and its returned to you after the car is shipped back to the States
  2. You don't get the Title (proof of ownership) to the car until is registered in the States - don't know if this is applicable to the Euru market
Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: EU
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 8:53:09 am

That's very common since Switzerland is not in the EU.

No one can ever accuse the Swiss of being stupid. winking smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 8:27:23 am

Has anyone here taken european delivery? if so, what paperwork was involved for driving the car over there?

There was an article in a fairly recent Excellence from a retired US government person who went back to Europe and took factory delivery of a new car. He drove it for a week or two and, as I recall, delivered it to Bremerhaven for shipment to the US. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to get his email and contact him. I can locate the issue if anyone is interested.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
frogster - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 1:32:21 pm
thanks Kevin. It appears as though this is how they do it. You don't get the title until you're in the US.

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login