Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
removing oil spot from top
boxsterd - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 1:24:36 am
I accidently got some WD-40, about 1" diamater, on the convertible soft top. Can anyone recommend any products/procedures for making it new again? TIA.
Re: Just one?
TheFarmer - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 5:58:52 am
I have two symmetric 1" shiny spots on my top, completely symmetric right and left. I believe that these are due to the way the top folds and are actually rubs from the mechanism when the top is down.
Re: Just one?
jg wnc - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 8:27:32 am
If you look inside the clamshell, you will see several round rubber pieces that press against the top when it is folded. Those are what are causing your spots, and I think every Boxster that lowers its top has them.

As far as cleaning the soft top, I use RaggTop. Use the cleaner and follow it up with the waterproofing treatment and your top will look great.
To remove oil stains ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 3:24:09 pm
... you can use Naphta.
Soak it in well and rub in with a lint free cloth.
It will completely evaporate.
Treat with RaggTopp protectant afterwards.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: To remove oil stains ...
boxsterd - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 4:44:34 pm
Are you talking about the paint thinner replacement?!? Wouldn't it leave a whitish area on my grey top?

Just to be sure, this is the stuff you're talking about correct...

[www.amazon.com]
Naphtha is actually ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 7:43:18 pm
... used in dry cleaning.
It will not leave any residue at all.
Trust me.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: Naphtha is actually ...
boxsterd - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 8:28:04 pm
Can you please post a link to the product? I want to make sure I buy the right thing. Thanks!
Re: Naphtha is actually ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 8:59:13 am
You just did:

[www.amazon.com]

You can get Naphtha at Lowes, Home Depot, or any large hardware or paint store.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

the rubber sheet underneath which is critical to keeping the elements out of the cabin.

About all I would try is Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent, just the plain old blue stuff.

I have used it for years around the house. It cuts grease/oil very well. It is the detergent preferred when cleaning birds/water fowl of any oil from an oil spill. It removes the oil but does not harm the bird's skin.

It should remove the WD40 and yet not damage the rubber.

Rinse well, though always.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Yeah, using a paint thinner substitute sounds risky to me too. Is there anything special about Dawn? We use some other dishwashing liquid besides Dawn.
So, don't trust me. *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 1 May, 2012, at 7:21:50 pm
Pedro Bonilla

Re: So, don't trust me.
boxsterd - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 12:56:04 am
But if I trust you, then that means I don't trust MarcW. Oh dear, what to do, what to do. Who do I trust? Help!
having you avoid possibly subjecting the underlying rubber sheet to anything that can cause it to suffer any degradation and possibly leak.

(My soft top expert tells me when one looks at a top (the canvas) any signs of blistering under the canvas (IOWs the canvas is not smooth) can be signs the underlying rubber sheet is degrading.)

Anyhow, Dawn cuts grease but will not harm the rubber. Like most if not all dish washing liquids it will remove the wax from the paint of the car if you use it to wash the car, which I do not recommend you use it for. Just the canvas top and just a drop or so of soap.

There may be other detergents you can use, but I do not know of any.. oh maybe Ivory. (More on this below).

You want a detergent that is free of any scents, skin conditioners, or other stuff. Just plain old dishwashing detergent.

I was first exposed to this Dawn years ago when I worked in an optical lab. We used it to clean (soak no scrubbing allowed to avoid of course scratching the lenses or even the finish of the frame) patient glasses before working on the glasses. The detergent removed any dirt. This dirt though dirt doesn't really cover what some glasses had on them -- some glasses were quite heavy with a build up of sweat, dust, skin oils, etc. around the hinges, nose pads, and so on. Some soaking then a rinse with no residue -- which in the optical business is very bad -- had the glasses clean, clean, clean.

That lack of residue was also important from the patient's point of view: We never had anyone complaining about an allergic reaction to the use of Dawn.

This is why I think Dawn is probably the best choice to clean canvas tops when as in your case the top needs special cleaning to remove something that should never have gotten on the top in the first place. I would not use Dawn as a regular top cleaner. The less cleaning with any detergent the better. Except for rare cases I have found I can keep my Boxster's top clean with just a good rinsing of cold water. In those cases where the top needs extra cleaning, I just use the soap setting of the DIY car wash wand and keep the wand's nozzle away from the top. The soap -- I can sometimes see this happening -- loosens then flushes away the dirt (often bird mess which I do not allow to linger on the top (or paint). I follow this soap/wash step with a regular rinse to completely remove all soap from the canvas but also from between the canvas and the rubber sheet underneath, then yet a 3rd rinse using the spotless rinse setting.

If you really want another soap choice, you might think about Ivory liquid soap. When I had my Boxster in for body/paint work after it was bumped from behind the body shop owner told me to use this soap because it was very very mild and wouldn't harm the new (or old) paint. It would remove the wax from the old paint but after a month or so after the paint had plenty of time to cure I could wax the car and go back to using a soap that wouldn't remove the wax.

The body/paint shop owner also advised me to not use the 'wax' setting at the car wash. This wax is 'hard' and not nearly as good as the softer wax that is applied by hand and buffed out.

Anyhow, if you want/need a 3rd option, consult with your local Porsche dealer. Its service department/car valet people cars all day long, and this includes of course cabs and Boxsters with their soft tops. Ask what top cleaner is used. Or consult with a highly regarded indy top/upholstery shop in your area to learn what cleaner it believes is safe to use to clean the canvas.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
And my advice is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 4 May, 2012, at 12:59:08 pm
... based on personal experience.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: And my advice is ...
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 5 May, 2012, at 5:52:59 am
Game, set, match smileys with beer
Just put baby powder on the stain and leave it there for a day or so. It will absorb the oil into the powder. Then, just rinse off and you're done. Not sure if it'll work on WD40, but works charms whenever I get oil from my food on my clothes or on the couch. Lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login