Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The Long and Winding Road
JackintheBoxster - Friday, 18 May, 2012, at 12:21:15 pm
Many of you were not born when this story began, but it may now be coming to a climax.

As oldtimers with nothing to do may remember, my 2001 981 broke down on the highway in July 2010. I took it to a New Jersey mechanic I know, who could do nothing with it. I then had it towed down to my local independent Porsche guy (Washington, D.C.) who had always done solid work for me before and is reasonable. I should note that thanks to him, my wife's BMW 3 series, with over 180,000 miles on it runs like new.

Anyway, the Porsche guy searched around for a low-mileage engine and couldn't find one he approved of and told me he'd like to look at my engine and see what he could do. The car has been sitting on his lot this whole time, although it looks great, superficially.

He has just gotten through rebuilding a couple of 911 engines he had in line before me and I think he's going to get to it next week.

My guess is that he will fix the car no matter what and I'll have my choice of paying for the repair or letting him sell the car, with a cut going to me. This is a good guy, and I'm really hoping he can fix it and I can buy it back.

Keep watching this space.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Does he know what the problem is? *NM*
Boxsterra - Friday, 18 May, 2012, at 10:48:04 pm
Re: Does he know what the problem is?
JackintheBoxster - Saturday, 19 May, 2012, at 9:58:22 am
No. It could be IMS, but thanks to our friends on the board here, I'm thinking not, as there was no huge oil spill when it happened. I was just driving along and all of a sudden the engine died and all the lights went on. I coasted to the side of the road and that was it. I couldn't crank it.

I think he's going to take the engine apart and try to figure it out.

To be honest, all things being equal, I've been pretty lucky on this. I was on I-95 when it happened and I was able to make it over to the shoulder without injury and, thanks to AAA, I had it towed first to the Jersey mechanic and then down here to D.C. and haven't paid a dime. Then my mechanic here (Euro Imports, if anyone is wondering) spent a lot of time looking at engines. Although it's been a while now, business hasn't been so good, so to be honest, I'm not sure I could have easilly swung the repair before, which he knew, so I'm not as upset about the time as you might expect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login