Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Whistling from gas cap area
steve_wilwerding - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 10:06:48 am
I've noticed a whistling coming from my gas cap area during drives, and it really howls for about a minute when I turn the car off. If I undo the gas cap, that seems to alleviate the sound.

I've seen some posts that the gas cap seal may be bad, others that say it's the relief valve.

Anybody have experience with this and have an answer?
I have the same issue
Kimo - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 11:00:34 am
Try the following thread, but there are many others.

986Forum whistling sound thread

I have not tried to replace the gas cap or relief vavle yet, or even covering up the 1/2" hole near the gas housing lid hinge to see if it is indeed a valve failure. It sounds like 986 whistles (aside from the AOS whistle symptom) comes from the gas filler area; 987 owners suffer from side-mirror whistles.

I will let you know what works, when I get around to it.

Aloha
that reminds me...upgrade my radio smiling smiley *NM*
Kimo - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 1:24:54 pm
a comment.....
por911(bc) - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 1:18:58 pm
There is a pipe for the shut off valve in there which Porsche has had issues with on these cars. It might have come loose, or kinked. You might have to pull the wheel well out to have a look. I believe there have been a number of posts here where people had posted the pics of the system from the tsb issued years ago, which shows the afore mentioned pipe/hose.
regards
Yes - I plan on checking that one out too, thanks
Kimo - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 1:26:31 pm
One guy posted that the tube you're talking about was pinched and was not located in the proper area...after the fix - no more whistling.
Re: Whistling from gas cap area
Thierry, Quebec City, Canada - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 9:00:20 am
I had that problem 2 years ago and found the solution. If you want to see if your problem is the same I got, do the following test: Open the gaz door. Look at the right side of the door when open. There is a hole. Cover it with a piece of tape and go for a road test. If the noise as disappeared, the problem is related to one or both shutoff valves that are exhausting through that hole. Copy & paste the link below, I already explain what parts are needed (for my 2003, 986, 2.7) maybe different for your year car but the process is probably the same.
Good luck.

Thierry

www.renntech.org/forums/topic/33970-strange-whistling-sound/page__p__180569__hl__tolum#entry180569

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 09:01AM by Thierry, Quebec City, Canada. (view changes)
It wasn't my fuel cap...
Kimo - Saturday, 26 May, 2012, at 7:48:25 pm
I purschased a new fuel cap because the rubber seal on my old one looked very old and dry...whistle didn't go away.

Next, I placed a 1/2 inch electrical tape partially over the vent hole near the fuel area cover hinge...whistle is gone. So, it's likely one of the evap valves or the vent tube is kinked...no CEL, so maybe it's something minor, hopefully. I'll take a look at the evap area closely this weekend or next and see what's going on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login