Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Pedro's Sport Exhaust
bar10dah - Tuesday, 12 June, 2012, at 7:50:57 pm
Pedro,

Went to local custom muffler shop with printout of DIY "Make the Pedro Sport Exhaust" in hand. Shop said if I brought them the muffler, they could do the work for $125-150. Seems reasonable enough?

In your DIY, you said if you had to do it over again, you'd use 1.5" pipes. Why is that?

Considering eventually doing the TechnoPower Kit. Not sure I want to upgrade the headers yet. I'm guessing I won't get the best performance out of the TechnoPower Kit and Pedro Sport Exhaust if I don't upgrade the headers?
Re: Pedro's Sport Exhaust
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 13 June, 2012, at 9:26:08 am
The 1.5 inch diameter would get rid of a bit more back pressure and the sound pitch would be a little lower.
The price quoted is very reasonable.
Installing headers equalizes the back pressure on each cylinder which allows for a little more torque.
Although you can install the TechnoPower and/or TechnoPower2 Kits to a car without headers or freer flowing exhaust, for the best possible results, you should.
One thing though, you can install my Kits and later add the headers and muffler.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks for the reply, Pedro
bar10dah - Wednesday, 13 June, 2012, at 10:01:59 am
The shop is saying 1.5" pipes would create quite a racket. Do you think it would be much louder than the 1.25"?

If I do install the TechnoPower Kit, do I have to resend you the ECU, if/when I do install headers, to compensate for them?
Re: Thanks for the reply, Pedro
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 13 June, 2012, at 10:35:17 am
If you know you will be installing headers in the future, we will tune the ECU for headers the first time.
You'll get the most power increase when you finally install them.
The factory PSE uses 1.5" tubing.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 10:35AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Sounds good.
bar10dah - Wednesday, 13 June, 2012, at 5:49:46 pm
Thanks for all the answers Pedro. Still haven't decided if I'll go with the 1.25" or 1.5" pipes, but I'll post pics of my Pedro Sport Exhaust when I get it done.

Any particular (affordable) headers you recommend with the TechnoPower Kit and Pedro's Sport Exhaust?
Re: headers ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 13 June, 2012, at 6:39:18 pm
... I like Schnell or Vtx.
They are well made from T304 stainless and are very affordable.
You can purchase them through VertexAuto.com (no affiliation).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

bar10dah - Friday, 15 June, 2012, at 12:27:27 pm
The VTX looks appealing. Thanks for the tip! smiling smiley

Should the VTX headers and the Pedro's Sport Exhaust be enough for opening up the exhaust, as suggested for the TechnoPower Kit?

Reference: *We recommend also installing headers and less restrictive exhaust for maximum HP and Torque gains.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 15 June, 2012, at 1:52:10 pm
A less restrictive exhaust is one which lets more flow than the OEM, such as the PSE or most sport exhausts.
Installing less restrictive cats (100 cell) is also another way to eliminate some back pressure.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro.

Pedro Bonilla

Okay, I'm sold.
bar10dah - Friday, 15 June, 2012, at 9:26:21 pm
I've got a few other maintenance items to take care of first. The first being the motor mount and water pump. The second being the ROW M030 install. After that, I'm ready for the TechnoPower Kit. smiling smiley

I'm hoping to do the Pedro's Sport Exhaust in the next couple of weeks so that'll be good to go for the TechnoPower Kit. When I do get it, I'll have it tuned for the headers, but won't get the headers installed for a while. Hope the car will run just fine without them for the time being.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login