Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
IT'S HERE!!!
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 6:17:38 pm
I'll write more later - but I took delivery of an Agate Grey Boxster S with Agate Grey leather interior today - and immediately drove 150 miles - the last 50 in the NC mountain twisties! What an incredible car! It is even better than I expected.

A few random first impressions:

The Agate Grey leather looks great - and it definitely has a brown hue which I really like - much more obvious than the paint color. I had thought from the samples I saw at the dealership that it would be more of a charcoal grey - but the brown hue really looks rich and luxurious.

The PDK is really good - better than the one I drove in a 987.2. As expected, the shifts are instantaneous with a very nice throttle blip on downshifts. What did surprise me was how smooth the shifts are. I recommend strongly the sport steering wheel with the paddles.

I am probably one of the first U.S. customers to get the PSE. It is worth every penny. The sound is appropriately raucous on acceleration with a pleasant (to me) burble when you let off the pedal.

I can't comment on how it drives with the sport function off - I have had it on continually. Same with the PASM. The handling in the mountains was truly confidence inspiring. I found myself unconsciously taking known curves much faster than I did with the 987. A few times I could really feel the PTV kicking in. Surprised me the first time. It really does help turn-in on sharp curves with no hop on the rear axle.

The Bose sound system is considerably improved from the 987. It is not the greatest sound I have ever heard - but it is very good. The Bose in the 987 was mediocre (to my ears) at best.

I have not figured out all of the nifty electronics in the right binnacle and the NAV - but it appears to provide an awful lot of information previously unavailable. The NAV is also improved - although I did not have NAV in my 987.

The steering is great. I do not understand any of the fuss about the electrical assisted steering. There is still a lot of input of road feel through the steering wheel and the steering is very precise. If they had not been told, I doubt most of the journalists who commented on it would have noticed the change.

Very little to complain about. I am not wild about the little gaps on the side when the top is down. Also, I don't understand why the key does not operate the top. IN some of the Porsche literature, this function was supposedly present. They have left it off for some reason.

The console is a little confusing with the multitude of buttons - but I suppose I will get used to it in time.

I would prefer a conventional emergency brake - but not a big deal.

I'll post pictures later (when I figure out how) and share more impressions.

However, my overall impression is that this car is better than I anticipated - and I had awfully high expectations.

Later - need to go set up the cot in the garage!

Cheers!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Congratulations!
Laz - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 6:45:26 pm
And regarding your perceptive commentary:
I'm happy for you that the color combination and particularly the Agate interior works well. If I had gone for full leather that is likely the configuration I would've chosen.
PSE must be spine-tingling, as I find the snarling standard exhaust to be raucous enough and it gets more so with the engine "Sport" setting. (Spitting and burbling.)
Surefooted, ain't it? I attribute that to the improved suspension parameters, PASM in either setting, and PTV, which makes the car seem 500 pounds lighter: nimble is the word.
There's some navigation of the right binnacle wand (something about menu settings?) where you can specify the main info items. I've got mine set to coolant and oil temperature, oil pressure, and voltage.
Plus one about the steering. PASM in Sport setting seems to make it quicker, probably due to the elimination of whatever little pitch and roll the car has in the Normal setting.
I think the promotional copy and some would-be features literature got ahead of actual production set-up. Not that a feature like remote top opening would be one, but there are different features for different markets.
Late last night I sat in a chair in my garage and admired the side view from about 10 feet away at belt-line level for about a half hour, and had to convince myself to get up and go to bed.
Nice write-up; sounds great, Mike..
Rick (Nashville, TN) - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 6:49:06 pm
Your new 981 sounds absolutely awesome. Can't wait to see the pics. If you want to e-mail them to me [rj986s@gmail.com], I'll be happy to host them for you.

Congrats on your new Boxster S !!

Best regards,

Rick
Re: IT'S HERE!!!
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 6:55:21 pm
Getting the keys - PERMAGRIN INITIATED!

Here is the CURVN8R at its new home.

I shot this with a waterproof point and shoot - unfortunately the color does not really snow up very well - it is darker and more brown than the camera captured. I'll try again with my SLR later - but maybe I'll have to have LAZ come down and shoot with some EKTACHROME!

Wheels look great - notice the clear side markers - one of the few "freebies" from the dealer.

Here she is in her new house! Can't put the CURVN8R tag on until it is transferred with the county.

OK, now I believe. Congratulations Mike
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 8:12:22 pm
It looks like a beauty. smiling bouncing smiley

Good idea getting the cot set up in the garage. If Laz did that, he wouldn't have to leave the car to go to bed.

Nice setup. 981, fridge (I assume filled with barley tea and other assorted beverages) and a cot.

Pleasant dreams. cool smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Enjoy it! thumbs up *NM*
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 8:59:07 am
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
NO WAY! winking smiley *NM*
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 4:34:31 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 04:37PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Of course she did. She paid for it because
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 5:58:02 pm
she wanted to drive that PDK.

Sure hope she lets you drive it too, Mike.
That myth has already been debunked smoking smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 6:16:32 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Looks great. Congrats!!! *NM*
Clam - Monday, 6 August, 2012, at 12:02:23 pm
Re: IT'S HERE!!!smileys with beer
jwdbox - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 6:58:42 pm
Fantastic. Looks spectacular. Enjoy and try to remember to sleep here and there...cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 07:00PM by jwdbox. (view changes)
MikenOH - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 8:21:15 pm
It looks terrific, Mike.
Congratulatons, MIke
Roger987 - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 9:20:34 am
It's gorgeous, and very nicely equipped. Well done!
Really nice Mike enjoy it! *NM*
DougW - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 11:44:23 am
Some "right instrument" advice:
Laz - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 11:53:23 am
Being that you have PCM, some of this might be different for your car.
Turn key to on.
Right Instrument shows some parameters, maybe engine coolant and oil temps, oil pressure, outside temp. Pushing the wand up or down might show tire pressures, and further movement perhaps other things.

Push wand forward.
Push wand down to Settings.
"Display" should be highlighted.
Push wand forward.
There you'll see various settings, gotten to by pushing the wand. Pulling wand rearward brings you back.
"Menu Scope" is for what you want to see when you scroll through the initial displays by moving the wand up and down. (Mine is set for just the initial display and TPMS.)
I think it's in Info where you can see and reset fuel consumption.
What shows on the PCM display is also set in the RI.
I've got the clock set for 24 hours. Never cared for a 24 hour day having the same time twice.

Keep an eye on oil level, and don't overfill, of course. (After car is fully warmed, then off for a couple minutes on a level surface is the way to check it.)
The factory fill is Mobil 1 0-40 Euro formula.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 11:55AM by Laz. (view changes)
Some clarification
Laz - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 2:41:48 pm
When at the Display menu, push the wand up and down to get to other parameters. Should be pretty obvious, but felt I should be more clear.
Re: Some "right instrument" advice:
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 4:41:16 pm
I spent about an hour last night in the garage changing presets and setting up the radio. Will probably tweak it further after I get a little experience.

Tonight, Dianne and I are off for an anniversary dinner - I picked a place about 45 miles away with some mountain twisties on the way!
Really nice Mike. Looks fabulous!
jg wnc - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 2:29:59 pm
Drove by Hennessey yesterday afternoon and I did not see any Boxsters on the front part of the lot. They can't have too many in stock.

Ssssssswwwwwwwweeeeeettttttttt ride!
Re: Really nice Mike. Looks fabulous!
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 4:37:12 pm
jg atl
Drove by Hennessey yesterday afternoon and I did not see any Boxsters on the front part of the lot. They can't have too many in stock.

Ssssssswwwwwwwweeeeeettttttttt ride!

I think most of the Boxsters listed on their web site are already sold and delivered as soon as they come in. They still list my car as in inventory. A little misleading.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 5 August, 2012, at 7:12:41 am
I'm not a big fan of gray cars but this one is really stunning!
Glad to know you're enjoying it the way it should, by driving it.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Contrads & enjoy in good health smileys with beer *NM*
Harvey in FL - Sunday, 5 August, 2012, at 9:50:41 am
Re: IT FITS
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 5 August, 2012, at 8:25:50 pm
Today, after giving CURVN8R its first bath and P21S wax, I decided to try my old car cover on it. ALthough the wheelbase is longer, the car is pretty much the same size. The cover fit - although it is a bit tighter fit than before - but not much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 08:26PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Radar detector
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 6 August, 2012, at 12:35:21 pm
I am getting ready to hard wire my radar detector into the new car. I plan to piggyback off one of the fuses. Any suggestions which one would be the best choice. I don't want it running down the battery when the car is not running.
Thanks,

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Radar detector
Roger987 - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 3:22:52 pm
Here you go, Mike. My friend used this article as a guide when he installed his (now-departed) Valentine in his GT Silver 987. Fortunately, the same wire also works with his present Bell STi.

Rather than simply wrapping the wire around the fuse, he used a fuse piggy-back (Radio Shack or Pep Boys etc.).

A hard-wire install does indeed make life a lot simpler.

[www.planet-9.com]
V1 Savvy OBD connection issue
Laz - Wednesday, 8 August, 2012, at 6:01:31 pm
I got one and assumed the OBD socket was up under the dash like the 986, but it's in the driver's side footwell fuse panel. Foot-on-dead-pedal can be an issue, so I bought a two foot OBD extension with an L-connector at one end. There's another panel cover awaiting me at the dealer, into which I'll cut a rectangular opening for the OBD wire, with the Savvy mounted further up. From there some experience will show if the setup doesn't interfere with my left foot. I don't know if 987s have the OBD in the same place, but does anyone have an idea for a better workaround?
Tomy996 - Monday, 6 August, 2012, at 2:40:41 pm
Congratulayions! Love your write ups and the pics. My own S is still on board the shipping vessel, Cronus Leader. The wait is driving me crazy! Dealer sold both of the S's they had in stock so none available right now for test drive fix! Mine is Dark Blue Metallic with Luxor Beige interior. Wife's choice as she said no more silver cars! I did get the six speed with "boy racer exhaust" though. Maybe the only six speed my dealer does this year. The PDK is wildly popular but I am old school when it comes to sports cars. Enjoy!
kosiba - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 12:10:55 pm
PLEEEEEEASE Post more pictures!
Do golf clubs fit in the rear trunk?????? *NM*
Bill S - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 4:34:45 am
Re: Do golf clubs fit in the rear trunk?????? Not really.
jwdbox - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 7:50:14 am
Hi Bill. Here is a regular full size cart bag with all clubs including driver in Silverbox’s trunk. An easy fit.

[tinypic.com]

here is the same bag attempting to fit in the 981

[tinypic.com]

[tinypic.com]

My guess is that you could do it by taking the driver and woods out of the bag. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 08:06AM by jwdbox. (view changes)
You and Laz ... making us all jealous. NJOY!
grant - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 9:51:55 am
When the 987 came out it was nice, but i felt no pull. While i don't have any intention of splurging on a 981, it does call to me. Its truly a superb car - looks, performance, chassis rigidity, - great. Shame about the front brakes, but i hear there are two aftermarket partial-fixes (for the shear-off bolts) in the works (track talk last weekend).

Take good care and have many, many years of fun.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
A pair of bolts goes through the caliper and pads, securing them and further reducing flex. You turn it and uit snaps off at torque. About $40 and a PITA for trackside changes. Apparently companies workign on re-usable kit. Again, i'm fuzzy about the specifics until i see it and hold it.

Note - for non-track driven cars the brakes likely perform better with better feel. Speculation of course.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 12:22PM by grant. (view changes)
Dunno that part yet
grant - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 5:15:03 pm
but if the retrofit kits become available, they will be conventional (ell, let's say re-usable int he field).

That's the idea anyway

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 05:15PM by grant. (view changes)
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
it will be time for another picture. winking smiley
Yep, they're terrific looking and on my car now. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 17 August, 2012, at 4:31:41 pm
Laz
n/t
I certainly hope you took the time to refine and pour your own glass for the lens elements smoking smiley
Yessir, using only the finest Lechatelierite! *NM*
Laz - Friday, 17 August, 2012, at 5:25:37 pm
Interesting--so the caliper bolts, if I understand this correctly, are truly one time use since they "snap off" at the proper torque setting?
What exactly snaps off and when?
Don't scratch too hard or my thin veneer will vanish! But
grant - Monday, 13 August, 2012, at 8:37:19 am
.. the heads snap off flush i inferred, when you reach the proper torque setting. I get the idea they go through the pads and help connect the caliper "halves" together. But i have only heard vague anecdotes!

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login