Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
OEM street pad question on a 987
MikenOH - Wednesday, 15 August, 2012, at 1:56:59 pm
Thinking of moving back to a OEM street pad, combined with Pagid at the track.

After doing a search, there are a lot of names of pads that are listed as OEM (Textar, Mintex, ATE and others) but with a wide price range.

Would appreciate a recommendation on a street pad and a good source for it.
Re: OEM street pad question on a 987
Wayne K - Wednesday, 15 August, 2012, at 3:16:35 pm
I have Mintex Red Box in my Boxster and they are low dusting, quiet, and good bite when cold. My son has Hawk HPS pads in his car and he says the same about them. Just google either brand name and you will find many suppliers. The Mintex have the holes for the wear sensors but I don't know about the Hawks.
Thanks, Wayne *NM*
MikenOH - Wednesday, 15 August, 2012, at 4:37:05 pm
Do NOT use the HAWKs if you plan to switch back and forth
grant - Thursday, 16 August, 2012, at 10:38:13 am
The HPS relies on a chemical bonding that is incompatible with man/most other pads.

Long version - the HAWk's claim to fame is good bite with low dust. How does one achieve this miracle?
By designing a pad that deposits a film on and in the surface of the rotor. This deposition then grabs the pad - so its not so much metal-to-pad friction as a pad-to-chemical bond. I don't know the specifics and they are not talking.

This has two downsides:

1. if the deposition in uneven, you get pad deposits and horrible pulsing.
2. if you exchange to many/most other pads, you get the same - an incompatibility this time.

Hawk now tells me they specifically "require" a new or turned rotor. Seem they prefer to just take the money and hope.

I had a terrible experience on my S6. Once i put race pads in, it ground the deposition off and all was well, but it would always come back, and the brakes got very grabby. I finally replaced everything (Jurid, Zimmerman Z-coat) and all is well.

And HAWK did little to fix the issue, although a tech admitted it ( subsequently fired too)

May be Ok if installed with new rotors and run exclusively - but switching invites trouble. Why invite trouble?

Grant
ps: mike - feel free to buzz me - you have my cell

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 10:48AM by grant. (view changes)
I got Hawk HPS and really don't like them at all
Boxsterra - Friday, 17 August, 2012, at 9:38:33 pm
I also got new rotors at the same time, did all of the correct bedding procedures. But still the brakes are not as good feeling as stock, they don't stop any better, and there is no noticeable difference in brake dust.

I give them two thumbs down.
My favourite of the OEM pads ws TEXTAR
grant - Thursday, 16 August, 2012, at 10:36:09 am
and I bought them from Pelican.

Why are you going back to street pads and changing? Noise?

How hard are you on track pads. I have pads that are quiet and rotor friendly both on street and track - Stoptech 309s. Cheap too.

MOT ~1200 degF

Only weakness is low Cf. Press harder.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login