Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
ALMS merger with GrandAm
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 5 September, 2012, at 4:23:07 pm
I see where GrandAm and ALMS are going to merge starting with the 2014. Seems like a good move to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts about the pluses and minuses. Also, anyone else going to the Petit Lemans at road Atlanta?

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 04:24PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Re: ALMS merger with GrandAm
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 5 September, 2012, at 7:07:05 pm
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
I see where GrandAm and ALMS are going to merge starting with the 2014. Seems like a good move to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts about the pluses and minuses. Also, anyone else going to the Petit Lemans at road Atlanta?

I'd say I mostly have fears. Grand-AM Daytona Prototype was always too NASCAR for my taste with all the cars looking alike. And I'm really not a fan of the NASCRAP series on ovals, and my wife has asked me to start putting golf on when I take a nap instead of it because she doesn't like it either. It just seemed like there was not much room for innovation.

ALMS has always been my favorite of the two. I like the diversity of LMP1 and I also like the Le Mans tie-in making it a more international feel with participation from more manufacturers, including Porsche. I'd really love to see a Porsche LMP1 back on track in the US. I fear that the NASCAR side will have too much influence over the philosophy of the new series and the new organization will miss the chance to make road racing more popular. I also fear that they will make the number of events too small and cause the death of some very great tracks like VIR or the street courses like Long Beach.

Time will tell.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: ALMS merger with Grand Am
jfarris - Saturday, 8 September, 2012, at 5:15:44 pm
Mike,
I'm trying to get the wife to go to the Petit LeMans with me and camp at turn 5. That is where I usually camp with the TR6 group for the Mitty.
What a task, mix Grand Am and ALMS. The rules and philosophies of the two groups seem to be far apart. I like the Grand Am races, mostly because they are available live, locally, but would love to see more than nine cars racing in the premiere group. If they are going to keep the French tie with ACO, the new rules will look much more like ALMS than Grand Am. I really like the competitive nature of the Grand Am GT group, but think NASCAR tinkers too much with week-to-week rules changes trying to keep the Detroit Iron competitive. Also, what is not to like about the typical Continential Tire Series race that starts 60+ cars in two classes and about 15 cars in either class are capable of winning. It may take the next year to work out all the details. In the menatime, I wonder if we will see some teams race in the other series where there is a spot for their car.
I'll let you know if we are going to the race in October, maybe we can meet for lunch or dinner one day.
Jim Farris
Montevallo AL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login