Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Happy Friday Scan Day....old clunkers..
CarreraLicious - Friday, 7 September, 2012, at 7:02:34 am
Can't believe I've owned this for 10 yrs now...and no visit to Jake! Oil changes at 10k intervals (used to be 15k)...and mostly Mobil 1 even! Yep, my original IMS is still intact. grinning smiley Will be driving her to work this morning, and still loving it!

Cheers all...

Re: Happy Friday Scan Day....old clunkers..
db997S - Friday, 7 September, 2012, at 8:43:21 am
Not mine, but it does meet the old aspect, but not really the cluncker monkier

Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 September, 2012, at 12:06:31 pm
Time flies when you're having fun. No wonder the 6 1/2 years of Permagrin have gone by like a blur. Seems like just yesterday when I first fired up the Symphony in Flat Six. It's such a timeless, classic design. Our Boxsters will still look modern 30 and 40 years down the road. Clunker?.......just somehow doesn't fit my description of one - but here it is. cool smiley

Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 7 September, 2012, at 12:24:19 pm
This photo was taken in Atlanta in early 1999 on our way to BRBS 1!

This next one was taken at this year's PCA Club Race, 48 Hours at Sebring, by PB Member Harvey in FL.

On the outside this old clunker looks about the same, but there have been quite a few changes on the inside winking smiley

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 12:25PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)

One of whom wanted to drive.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Guenter, I'll see your old clunker and raise you a year
Roger987 - Friday, 7 September, 2012, at 8:10:38 pm
2005 987, though the engine is newer, as is the paint. (Interestingly, the thermostat in my factory replacement engine was made in Oct 2007. Clearly, the replacement engines have components made more recently than the build date of the original engine.)

Recently, I finally got to see, and sit in, a 981. I was struck not by the differences between it and the 987, but by the similarities. Sure, Porsche aficionados know the differences, but overall, it's much more similar than not.

Incidentally, I'm not sure I'm 100% on side with the squaring off of the fenders. It strikes me that messing with the round fender is messing with something very, very special.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 08:11PM by Roger987. (view changes)
I haven't seen that shot before. That is AWESOME. What a terrific sunset shot. Where was that taken?

I think we're going to have to redefine "clunker". grinning smiley

I agree about the squared off fenders. I know they're supposed to look more "masculine". Somehow puts a wrinkle into the smooth flowing lines.
Re: Guenter, I'll see your old clunker and raise you a year
Roger987 - Friday, 7 September, 2012, at 9:04:54 pm
Thanks Guenter.

I shot it on the Blue Ridge Parkway in May of this year. It was one of those moments when everything came together just right.

From photos, I knew the 981's fenders were squared off, but when I sat in the car, I thought "wait a second, something isn't right".

Don't get me wrong - I'm certain the 981 contains a lot of engineering improvements. Just not sure they should mess with the round fenders - damned near sacrilege.

Incidentally, I intsalled the factory short shift kit about a month ago. Love it. Couldn't imagine going back. The shift into second takes more effort, and it can't be rushed, but that doesn't diminish the overall improvement. As far as I can tell, the 981's shifter throw isn't as short as the 987's with the factory short shift kit.

The one with the blue part is the short shift kit. The pivot point has been moved higher. The green piece is the alignment tool.

I was surpised to see it mounts on the carpet. I'd have thought it would mount to metal, so as to reduce any unwanted movement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 09:05PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Roger987

Incidentally, I intsalled the factory short shift kit about a month ago. Love it. Couldn't imagine going back. The shift into second takes more effort, and it can't be rushed, but that doesn't diminish the overall improvement. As far as I can tell, the 981's shifter throw isn't as short as the 987's with the factory short shift kit.

I told you so. winking smiley

I find that second takes slightly more effort when the engine / tranny are cold. Once warmed up it seems really smooth. Under normal driving conditions, I don't pull it staight back into second. I give it a split second pause in neutral - just a snick, snick. I read that it's supposed to make it easier on the synchronizers. I actually do that in all my upshifts. Downshifts, it gives you time to blip the throttle to match the revs.

My feeling about the 981 shifter throw is like yours. It's somewhere between the 987 standard shift and short shifter in length.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login