Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My key is dead
Roger987 - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 1:15:03 pm
I have two remote keys for my 2005 Boxster. I went on a trip recently, and took the second key along, in case I lost the one I use regularly.

I discovered the battery in the unused key is dead. Is this something I can replace? (i'd hoped it might charge while in the ignition with the car running, but no such luck.)

Incidentally, great trip through New England and NY to Kingston, Ontario and back. Changed the oil just before - checked the filter closely for any metal bits. Perfectly clean. Car ran like a top. Took the Kancamangus both ways. Major fun.

Driving on a downtown street in Kingston. Overhead one female pedestrian exclaim to the other "Now THAT'S a sports car!"

Smart girl.
Re: My key is dead
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 2:04:08 pm
Did you check to see if the light on your key flashes when you press the buttons?

If there's no flashing, I believe it's only the battery. It's easy to replace.

Use your fingernail or small screwdriver and lift off the key cover
The batter is right there to pop out and replace (CR2032)

Roger987 - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 2:42:13 pm
Thanks Geunter.

The red light doesn't flash.

Should the cover be pried off starting at the pointy end? (as contrasted with location of the key chain loop.

I'm guessing this may be a case where one might suggest that I 'RTFM'.

Still luvin' the short-shifter, BTW. Snick, snick.
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 3:13:08 pm
"RTFM" doesn't tell you where to start. winking smiley grinning smiley I imagine anywhere at the "split" will do.

FWIW, I've never had to change the battery on either of my keys, but then, yours are a year older than mine. I did have to change the batteries in both of the BMW keys within about 3 years after purchase.

As for the extra key, we always take it on trips for the same reason you stated. If one gets lost or won't work, it's a lot shorter walk to get the other one. cool smiley

I completely understand about the short shifter. You'd never want to go back.

Sounds like you had a great trip with some darn good weather for top down driving.
Roger987 - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 3:41:22 pm
The shift throw to 5th (from 4th) used to be particularly l-o-n-g.

As you've said in the past, Porsche should have installed the short shifter from the get-go.

On secondary roads, when seeking to pass a car quickly, the downshift to 2nd really produces great power - the tach needle flies. The trick is to grab 3rd before hitting the rev limiter. I'm getting better at being able to hear when I'm near 7000. I continue to be super impressed with the PS2's. They aren't cheap, and the rears tend to wear a little quickly, but the really grip the road, with no noise and are very smooth.

I used the PASM sport setting a fair bit, especially when the roads weren't too chopped up. Adds yet another level of confidence in the car's handling capabilities.

There's a terrific road down the middle of the top of Lake Champlain - it hops across several islands. Really scenic.

The Kancamangus was remarkably free of traffic - and what was there was quickly behind me - a few even moved over as I approached from behind.. With a 40 mph speed limit, it's handy to have Mr. Bell riding shotgun.

The leaves are just starting to turn; in another couple weeks, the place will be a zoo.

While away, I test drove an Audi A4, A6, A7 and BMW's 3, and 5 series sedans, as well as the 5 series GT. The A7 and the new BMW 3 were nice.

The 328iTouring (to be released next spring) shows promise.
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 4:16:34 pm
Sounds like a great scenic trip, along with some terrific Boxster Roads on your trip. We will have to put it on our list of places to explore. PASM will definitely be one of the options on my next Boxster. I noticed the difference when I switched it on in the one I test drove.

About the upshifting. As Pedro pointed out a while ago, the optimum shift point for our cars is actually around 6400 RPM when they reach their maximum torque and then it starts to drop off. Just another one of those things you find when you RTFM. cool smiley . Pg 268 in the 06 version.
Roger987 - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 4:47:29 pm
I recall reading that. The engine revs so quickly and willingly, it's a challenge to get off the gas before it hits 7. grinning smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 6:13:42 pm
Roger987
I recall reading that. The engine revs so quickly and willingly, it's a challenge to get off the gas before it hits 7. grinning smiley

Yup. I know what you mean. It just sounds sooooooooooooooooooo fantastic when the whole orchestra reaches a full crescendo.

..hmmmmmm Think I feel the need for a drive coming on. grinning smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
The car started. But the opening with the remote did not
Re: Test both batteries first
carlos in Montreal - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 6:15:15 pm
I had a situation last year in Lake George NY when both of my key remote did not work and neither did the other 8 people with Boxsters!

Now that's weirdconfused smiley Coincidence? I don't think so

We figured that it had to do with some kind of radio interference or something like that.
Re: Test both batteries first
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 17 September, 2012, at 6:25:53 pm
carlos in Montreal
I had a situation last year in Lake George NY when both of my key remote did not work and neither did the other 8 people with Boxsters!

Now that's weirdconfused smiley Coincidence? I don't think so

We figured that it had to do with some kind of radio interference or something like that.

Yes. That's also covered in "RTFM" that radio interference can cause the keys not to work. Just the wonder of electronics.

So what did you end up doing? Push the cars to different location OR Open them manually with the key!!!!!!!!!!!??????? Funny how the good old manual way still is the best solution at times. cool smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login