Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Car is (provisionally) on the road
JackintheBoxster - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 10:01:55 pm
tongue sticking out smileyicked up my '01 base today after two years in the shop with a replacement engine with 80K that my mechanic was happy with. He also put in a new clutch and starter and checked everything else out. No guarantees, of course, but I'm confident this was the right move. I have it for two days now to drive around before taking it to emissions inspection Friday.

Car almost working well. Some vibration in the steering wheel at high speed from some rust and crud that popped up during two years, my guy assures me this will abate, and I think it now has. Also a lot of smoke at first from oil that had seeped into various parts of the system during that time, but that has disappeared. Check engine light has come on a couple of times. He checked the code and found misfires on both sides. Although this could be the catalytic converters -- he checked them and they were full of oil but looked good, but could go bad at any time, he says -- he suspects it is some oil left over clogging up sensors that will disappear. I'll drop by again tomorrow for another clear of the codes.

I'd be happy to rhapsodize on the renewed pleasure of driving a Porsche and a Boxster again on highways and twisting roads, but if you're reading this post, you already know that.
Sounds good. Check tire pressures. Misfires? Converters...
MarcW - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 11:22:54 pm
JackintheBoxster
tongue sticking out smileyicked up my '01 base today after two years in the shop with a replacement engine with 80K that my mechanic was happy with. He also put in a new clutch and starter and checked everything else out. No guarantees, of course, but I'm confident this was the right move. I have it for two days now to drive around before taking it to emissions inspection Friday.

Car almost working well. Some vibration in the steering wheel at high speed from some rust and crud that popped up during two years, my guy assures me this will abate, and I think it now has. Also a lot of smoke at first from oil that had seeped into various parts of the system during that time, but that has disappeared. Check engine light has come on a couple of times. He checked the code and found misfires on both sides. Although this could be the catalytic converters -- he checked them and they were full of oil but looked good, but could go bad at any time, he says -- he suspects it is some oil left over clogging up sensors that will disappear. I'll drop by again tomorrow for another clear of the codes.

I'd be happy to rhapsodize on the renewed pleasure of driving a Porsche and a Boxster again on highways and twisting roads, but if you're reading this post, you already know that.

can't cause misfires. Well, it is highly unlikely and I've never come across any misfire faults that point to converters.If the converters are acting up you'll see P0420/P0430 or P0421/P0431 codes (there may be others too but those come mind).

I'd suspect coils. Or even the gasoline. Especially the gasoline. How old is that gasoline in the tank? Is it from a different season? In your car's case it might be a good idea to run a bottle or two of Techron through the engine. Use according to directions and change the oil/filter after you run the last tank with Techron down to say 1/3rd or 1/4th tank.

Any chance mice might have been in the car or even wasps or something that built a nest in the air box? Long shots but when a car sits that long critters can set up housekeeping so check the air box and cabin air filter.

Be sure the water drains front and back are clear.

Probably too late now but a couple of hard braking from speed but without bringing the car to a stop will remove any rust build up from the rotors and restore braking.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a brake fluid flush/bleed either.

Anyhow, not a big list of things to consider considering you're getting your Boxster back on the road.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Car is (provisionally) on the road
JackintheBoxster - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 12:08:55 am
Marc,

Thanks. Let me mention this to my guy.

He didn't think it was the converters but that remaining oil in the converters might have led to an erroneous sensor reading.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login