Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Progress on transplanted engine
JackintheBoxster - Friday, 28 September, 2012, at 6:17:40 pm
Engine transplanted into my '01 base is going through shakedown with no major problems. Drives well, stopped giving misfire readings as, I believe oil and stuff has been ejected from the system. I got a check engine light again inidicating a possible O2 sensor replacement issue, we'll see this week. The clock is not working well (I thought those digital clocks in the speedo were Rolexes), which may be related to the radio not working either, we think there may be a second fuse to check. These are both minor problems compared to making sure the engine is working right, which I hope will turn out to be the case.

The rear window (still plastic on '01s) is cloudy and I expect I will have to replace it again when this is all over -- although if anyone knows of any liquid I can use to clear the window, I'd be grateful.
Re: Progress on transplanted engine
db997S - Friday, 28 September, 2012, at 6:42:45 pm
Great news, hope it continues to progress. I always thought Plexus was a great product for the rear window. I used to buy mine a the local boat store. I used a cloth diaper. You spray the diaper, wipe it on, then dry it off, both inside and outside of the car. This also helps keep the plastic flexible. Usually, nothing harsher than being at sea, so if it's good enough for a boat, should be fine for a car.
Re: Progress on transplanted engine
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 28 September, 2012, at 9:13:59 pm
Another window product I used is a kit consisting of Novus 1, 2 and 3. The cloudy is often on the surface and the 3 products I used in order from most abrasive to polish on the outside with maybe only 2 and 1 on the inside. I then repeated with only the polish every 6 months. My car window lasted at least 8 years and was still clear when I sold it. I insisted the new owner take my kit.
The news just keeps getting better and bettter....
MarcW - Saturday, 29 September, 2012, at 12:18:32 pm
JackintheBoxster
Engine transplanted into my '01 base is going through shakedown with no major problems. Drives well, stopped giving misfire readings as, I believe oil and stuff has been ejected from the system. I got a check engine light again inidicating a possible O2 sensor replacement issue, we'll see this week. The clock is not working well (I thought those digital clocks in the speedo were Rolexes), which may be related to the radio not working either, we think there may be a second fuse to check. These are both minor problems compared to making sure the engine is working right, which I hope will turn out to be the case.

The rear window (still plastic on '01s) is cloudy and I expect I will have to replace it again when this is all over -- although if anyone knows of any liquid I can use to clear the window, I'd be grateful.

Glad to read the misfires have gone away.

O2 sensors can fail at any time. My first experience with these was shortly after the engine had its first AOS failure which "flooded" the engine with oil. There was some initial driveability issues immediately after the AOS repair which got better as the car was driven (by the SM as I was out of town at the time) but a lingering CEL -- associated error code long forgotten -- had to wait until I relocated to the left coast.

After some time I finally pinpointed the O2 sensors as the #1 suspects enough to replace them. This was around 80K miles. Whether the good dousing of oiil from the failed AOS played a role I can't say. I will note that this replacement AOS's failure some miles (>100K?) later did not have any effect on the sensors though I note this failure did not progress as far as the 1st failure. While there was a cloud of oil smoke the engine didn't get "flooded" with oil like the first time.

Drive that stale gas out of the tank. Give a bottle or two of Techron a try. Change the oil/filter after.

I expect your troubles are behind you.

Welcome back to the highway.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks for the encouragement and -- above the window advice.

My guy uses another additive Moly something (???) which he put in the tank last week, we'll see if that helps.

Jack
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login