Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I am pleased to report that I'm in the final stages of the adjustment to the transplant of an 80K replacement engine into my '01 base. All error codes have ceased and today the car passed inspection (emissions only in D.C.) and is now registered. The only remaining things to do are to get the tires rebalanced and replace a fuse or something that I need for the radio to work and the clock to work consistently.

I want to commend to anyone in this area Euro Imports in Arlington/Alexandria, owned by Peter Mikon. Peter does superb work at reasonable rates, has saved me thousands (definitely now) over the years and works both on my car and my wife's 2004 BMW 325. He really takes his work seriously and really did a superb job on this and has done all the followup to make sure the car actually works. He's an ex-BMW racer and is a big fan of both BMWs and Porsches. Although I think in his heart he may be a 911 guy, he's done excellent work on my car and those of people I know. The best part is, he has no patience with the bs from dealers. I really recommend him highly and without reservation.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 06:51PM by JackintheBoxster. (view changes)
Re: That's good news. What was up with the SAI?
JackintheBoxster - Saturday, 20 October, 2012, at 10:47:31 pm
No idea. Peter Mikon, this mechanic I'm such a fan of, couldn't figure out what it was and had already thought of all of the things you suggested. He called a buddy of his who told him to tell me to put it through inspection again despite the reading on his diagnostic machine. I told him I'd come right back after if failed inspection. However, it passed with flying colors.
Re: Another endorsement for DC-area boarders
Bobtesa - Saturday, 20 October, 2012, at 12:43:42 pm
Jack, thanks for the info about Euro imports and Peter. It's a valuable contribution to boarders to get + or - input about local indies (and dealers if you use them). I posted here about a DC area indy that I now use, but if I recall correctly, I did not post his name, but provide his name in PM to some one. So, to post on the board, in addition to Peter's shop (which I have not used and can not comment on), I also recommend Taylor Chapman in the DC area. He is close to Dulles airport. I have no affiliation what so ever with Taylor, but I have had my car in twice now for routine service and I am very happy with him and his shop.
Both have had solid reputations
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 20 October, 2012, at 7:36:11 pm
for at least 7 years as I knew of them when I lived in the area and had done enough research on them to list them in a list of DC area Porsche helpful resources.

The list has top shops, audio shops, Indie's, etc. that I'd seen multiple online positive reviews of. If anyone wants to take on the task of keeping that list up to date, just mail me the changes you suggest. I'm sure some of the shops have evaporated over the time and I no longer get the local PCA regions mailings.
Re: Another endorsement for DC-area boarders
JackintheBoxster - Saturday, 20 October, 2012, at 10:50:29 pm
You emailed it to me and I was glad for the recommendation. Shops go up and down -- for years I recall everyone was in love with the service at Porsche of Arlington (including me) but no more. I'm a big fan of Peter's, but it's good to have another name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login