Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Noise from RH rear wheel
marty - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 9:59:20 am
After sitting for a week un driven in wet cold conditions, my '99 Box (97k miles) has developed an intermittent noise, from what seems to be the RH rear wheel area.

The noise sounds like a plastic bag or leaves caught under the car. It starts once I've covered a couple of miles and usually while turning right, carrying a bit of speed. It does it in neutral with the engine ticking over. Once it's started it does it while driving straight too.

I replaced both discs, pads and parking shoes 17k miles back.

Both discs, hubs and calipers feel the same temperature, ie. nothing dragging on.

The hand brake needs adjusting as it comes up 5 clicks now.

Any ideas please before I start tearing things apart?
marty
After sitting for a week un driven in wet cold conditions, my '99 Box (97k miles) has developed an intermittent noise, from what seems to be the RH rear wheel area.

The noise sounds like a plastic bag or leaves caught under the car. It starts once I've covered a couple of miles and usually while turning right, carrying a bit of speed. It does it in neutral with the engine ticking over. Once it's started it does it while driving straight too.

I replaced both discs, pads and parking shoes 17k miles back.

Both discs, hubs and calipers feel the same temperature, ie. nothing dragging on.

The hand brake needs adjusting as it comes up 5 clicks now.

Any ideas please before I start tearing things apart?

water pump.

But it could be something else in the accessory drive department (idler rolller bearing, tensioner roller bearing or some other accessory drive) or it could something from inside the engine.

Because the possibility the noise is from inside the engine, my advice is to get the car to a qualified shop for professional diagnosis. Whether you want to drive the car there or not is up to you but to be safe just in case the noise is from inside the enigne have the car flat bedded. I know it seems over the top but...
He mentioned 'in neutral' which may have lead you to that conclusion, but I inferred he meant in neutral, with the car still in motion.

I agree, an entirely different scenario if he's getting the noise while the car is stationary.
and the car is stationary then of course what I offered earlier doesn't apply.

Thanks for catching that.

In this case then, noises while the car is moving in gear or coasting out of gear with the transmission in neutral, bring to mind wheel bearing, or a brake pad dragging due to a mechanical failure of some component, a heavy build up of dust on the brake piston dust covers, or something caught between the rotor and shield.
Many other options, but its soooooo common (for me at least).

If the wheel is making noise but not moving i suggest a exorcism. :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The fan in there is thermostatically activated.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: Noise from RH rear wheel
marty - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 5:24:33 am
Just to be clear, the noise is only present when the car is moving. The faster the car, the more noise there is. Revving the engine has no effect.

What does a failing wheel bearing sound like? The car has recently passed it's annual MOT test, so there can't be detectable play in the wheel.

Could it be from a CV joint on the half shaft?
marty
Just to be clear, the noise is only present when the car is moving. The faster the car, the more noise there is. Revving the engine has no effect.

What does a failing wheel bearing sound like? The car has recently passed it's annual MOT test, so there can't be detectable play in the wheel.

Could it be from a CV joint on the half shaft?

the noise masked by noisy/old tires. After new tires fitted the bearing noise could be heard but it was so vague neither the indy shop owner or I could be sure of the location but we both guessed the same rear corner and after this bearing replaced the noise was gone and has never returned.

The noise could be the CV shaft.

Like wheel bearings these CV bearings can fail at any time.

But who knows? You are at the car and get a knowledgeable passenger and both of you take turns driving/riding passenger and listening and make up your mind.

All we can do here is guess.

If the test ride/drive doesn't turn up anything definite or even it if does, the car needs to be lifted up and the CV boots inspected. A torn/split CV boot could be a sign the bearing is bad as dirt has gotten in and ruined the bearing.

At the same time, wheel bearings could be checked by checking for excessive play or roughness. The bearing might be bad enough this works. Or the tech could use a stethoscope to listen for sounds of bearing distress not audible otherwise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login