Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
not starting after long hibernation
Steve (Morro Bay) - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 1:01:17 pm
I've been asked what to do with a 2002 boxster that has been in storage for two years, and which doesn't seem to start. I'm told that it cranks, but that is all. I suggested towing it to an indy or dealer and having them try to diagnose it. I think that's sound advice, but thought I would also ask for any simple suggestions here. Any ideas? Note: this wasn't a carefully planned hibernation. The gas it has is just two year old gas, and apart from removing the battery, it got no special treatment while asleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 01:02PM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
Re: not starting after long hibernation
db997S - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 2:02:44 pm
Sound advice, yes. I'd also suggest purchasing a gas treatment additive from Porsche, or better yet draining the gas tank and adding some fresh fuel. Most, if not all, gas these days have 10% ethonol mixed in with it. That breaks down over time and can separate (while cornbased, ethonol has water in it). Some say this can happen after only several months, so 24 months would be a concern. The fuller the tank at storage, the more possible water that separated and sunk to the bottom. We aren't talking much, but add in any condinsation with the change of the seasons and more water could be introduced to the tank and find its way to the bottom. Even if we are talking less than a quater cup of water at most, two years is a long time for this separation to happen and the water to find its way to the bottom of the fuel. That means trying to start the car water is pumped into the cylinders and not actual gas, hence no combustion to start the motor? I'm no expert, but I'd suggest googling ethonol to find out more on how it can break down over time and how to correct the issue. I wouldn't attempt to start the car again until investigated further.
Steve (Iowa)
I've been asked what to do with a 2002 boxster that has been in storage for two years, and which doesn't seem to start. I'm told that it cranks, but that is all. I suggested towing it to an indy or dealer and having them try to diagnose it. I think that's sound advice, but thought I would also ask for any simple suggestions here. Any ideas? Note: this wasn't a carefully planned hibernation. The gas it has is just two year old gas, and apart from removing the battery, it got no special treatment while asleep.

then I think you are better off getting it to a dealer/indy shop.

I came across a beautiful 993 Turbo S that had sat around 3 years and the gasoline had dried out/congealed in the tank, pump, filter, lines and injectors and all had to be replaced.

In your Boxster's case maybe (maybe) disconnecting the fuel lines and running the pump to flush out the worst of the stuff might work. It could be just real bad gasoline that once the worst of it flushed out the engine will run. But it might require draining the tank and filling it with a few gallons of fresh gasoline too.

I'm always leery of a non-pro tackling fuel problems that have the fuel system open and electrics hot and electrics working. There's a real danger of a flash fire which can be... well, you want to avoid even the risk of this. Techs deal with fuel systems all the time and are therefore experienced and careful.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login