Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Re: Another Boxster test drive. Same old story. cool smiley
jwdbox - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 11:09:35 am
True same glowing story 'cept for the mention of the G meter. Is that short for Guenter Meter winking smiley ? cool smiley
Re: Another Boxster test drive. Same old story. cool smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 11:13:36 am
jwdbox
True same glowing story 'cept for the mention of the G meter. Is that short for Guenter Meter winking smiley ? cool smiley

Actually, I'm more than a meter tall. grinning smiley
Converting feet to meters
Laz - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 11:17:14 am
Kilban:
[lamar.colostate.edu]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I guess he likes it.
Laz - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 11:22:20 am
Nice review, especially for the uninitiated. Not sure about the trunk space improvement, and I wish this and other reviews would clarify an item being an option. E.g: he says the steering wheel is heated, and the inference taken could be it's a standard feature, but it's one of the things that got this to over 70 grand "as tested." That term could use defining, too. Nonetheless, he did a great job of selling the car.

Um....ahhh....don't ask why i'm asking, but....
SMILIN - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 11:29:20 am
Can you get a set of golf clubs in the trunk (carry bag, long clubs removed is ok)?

Fit for a 6', 220lb dude? One thing that I love about my '98 is that I removed the center console. I think the extra space for my legs is what allows me to drive the Boxster for hours and hours in great comfort. I'm guessing that removing the center console is not an option here. smiling smiley

I think it's about time for me to take a long lunch some day soon.
SMILIN
Can you get a set of golf clubs in the trunk (carry bag, long clubs removed is ok)?

Fit for a 6', 220lb dude? One thing that I love about my '98 is that I removed the center console. I think the extra space for my legs is what allows me to drive the Boxster for hours and hours in great comfort. I'm guessing that removing the center console is not an option here. smiling smiley

I think you'd find that there's more leg room in the 981 than in your 986. Leg room went up in the 987 and I believe again in the 981. No need to remove the center console.
Was talking to a friend about another brand of car the other day and he said he couldn't fit because of the console. I showed surprise and we compared his belt height to mine and they were exactly the same height as was his total height (6'). But when he sat, he wanted to sit with his right knee canted off to the side and the car in question didn't allow it nor did it have a console delete option. Yet I sit comfortably there for hours where he ruled it out immediately.

Sometimes it is the angle of the dangle....
smiling smiley *NM*
SMILIN - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 10:39:29 pm
Re: It's not always about a given length of legs
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 11:53:36 pm
Angle of dangle. Better give Porsche (and other car companies) a dingle on that one. smiling smiley

I know what you mean, though. Different people have different preferences when when doing lots of things, including sitting - sitting up straight, slouched, draped over the wheel. Angle of dangle. Haven't heard that one before, but I can picture it. I imagine your friend is going to have difficulty finding new cars since most seem to have consoles that really can't be removed. That just seems to be the direction of interior car design.

...hmmm. How does one measure the angle of dangle? confused smiley
Re: Um....ahhh....don't ask why i'm asking, but....
jwdbox - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 6:41:08 pm
SMILIN

I can only answer your question regarding a regular cart bag with a full set of clubs that fit AOK in a 987: Here is my golf bag next to SilverBox, a 987 and subsequently in the trunk with no clubs removed

[i50.tinypic.com]

But the same bag could not even come close to fitting in a 981:

Now my guess is that you might be able to remove all long clubs (driver, woods) and possibly get the bag in with the clubs placed around it but I am not sure. For me that was not a reasonable solution. The 987 was designed to take a regular golf bag and that fact was touted in the promotional literature. I have not found any reference to carrying golf clubs in the 981 in Porsche literature. cool smiley
thanks to both of you for the responses smiling smiley *NM*
SMILIN - Sunday, 2 December, 2012, at 7:51:37 pm
Good pics for comparison. I can't measure anything form them, but a look-see seems to show that the trunk opening and lid on the 981 are more "tear dropped" then the 987. That means, without the clamshell there could actually be more space in the 981 trunk, but with size of the opening reduced it still will not accommodate a full set of clubs. I think that I could put my whole carry bag with long clubs in my 987 truck, but I don't. I put the long clubs in the passenger seat. It just makes it easier to deal with.
I believe the 981 trunk lid sits a little higher than on the 987. (Which partially accounts for the smaller rearward vision.) So the rear trunk is actually a little deeper in the 981 than in the 987. However, because of the oil and coolant fillers on either side of the trunk and the filled in space between them, it results in the length (distance front to back) of the trunk being reduced compared to 08 and up 987's, which have the oil and coolant fillers recessed into the front part of the trunk.
Bottom line...
Roger987 - Monday, 3 December, 2012, at 9:21:41 am
The myriad of improvements notwithstanding, this is one area where Porsche dropped the ball.
Or, more accurately,
Roger987 - Monday, 3 December, 2012, at 9:25:51 am
"Dropped the clubs". eye popping smiley
Re: Or, more accurately,
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 3 December, 2012, at 10:16:20 am
Roger987
"Dropped the clubs". eye popping smiley

That would be more accurate. As I believe the 981 trunk will carry the same number of (golf) balls. smiling smiley
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 3 December, 2012, at 1:00:28 pm
Not a problem with the breathtaking Boxster hardtop winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
jwdbox - Tuesday, 11 December, 2012, at 10:45:44 am
Gary in SoFL
Not a problem with the breathtaking Boxster hardtop winking smiley
Actually when I was at the Code of the Curve event with the Cayman debut my impression was that you would not be able to get a full sized bag with drivers etc. in the back behind the seats, but it would have to go in the passenger seat much like the 981. The 'hatch' back comes down too sharply to have space for the bag above the metal cross beam that have just rear of the engine. I am not positive about that since I did not happen to have my clubs in the back of SilverBox at the time. cool smiley
It sounds like he just drove it around the block
Boxsterra - Sunday, 9 December, 2012, at 8:28:16 am
It seems like he was mainly just reading the spec sheet. He didn't say much about performance, top-down driving, noise, long-distance driving comfort, cornering. I suppose this sort of review has its place but it didn't seem terribly useful to me.
Or likely any of us here, but good for the novice. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 10 December, 2012, at 5:20:55 pm
Luckily, golf is not a sport so it doesn't really matter.
dghii - Monday, 10 December, 2012, at 9:17:54 pm
Now bowling, no problem with getting your gear to fitsmoking smiley

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login