Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
The future driving experience? NBC
JackintheBoxster - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 11:00:49 am
Here is an article from CNET on the new electric Tesla: [reviews.cnet.com].

The driving experience may be what we are all looking at, in some form, in the future. I thought it sounded interesting, the business about braking would take some getting used to, although we all learned to drive without manual chokes, so change can be adapted to. Personally, I would really miss shifting, but I don't think there's a way that is going to survive any shift toward electrics. Likewise, I'm bothered by the predominance of electronic displays on conventional cars' dashboards -- I'll take three gauges in a a 986 (or 912) any day and leave it at that -- so I'm put off by the video-game displays in this car. Nevertheless, it certainly has impressive acceleration and sounds like it could be fun to drive to me.
Going by the display size,
Laz - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 11:24:01 am
someday they'll be able to eliminate the windshield, for a virtually exciting driving experience.

Come to think of it, with the Google car, why have any windows? The "excitement" will actually be the anxiety of wondering if you'll get to your destination at all!

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 11:27AM by Laz. (view changes)
grinning smiley grinning smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 12:29:24 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Going by the display size,
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 1:20:23 pm
Why not just replace the windows with cameras? That would eliminate wipers and bugs from the windows.

Great to have a 300 mile range, but then when you run AC and other such electronics or as in the tester's experience, drive it on mountain roads, and the range drops to about 60% or 180 miles.

Obviously, there'd be no quick pit stops. On a regular 110 line, he extended the range of the car by a whopping 10 miles on a 3 hour charge. They never said how long it would take to fully charge on a 220 line. So the car would be fine for around town trips. Just don't venture too far from home.

I like a car where I can manage controls without having to look at a screen, so I can operate things like heater/AC, bun warmers, stereo etc without having to take me eyes off the road.

On the positive side, it would open a whole new market for Pedro. His orders for the TechoVroom would go through the roof.

Is that based on the Sport Exhaust? *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 2:45:56 pm
Sport Exhaust would work in conjunction with
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 3:48:59 pm

Just not sure how Pedro would design those for an eBoxster though.
He could bring his own "home theater" bass to a drive-in.
Laz - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 5:41:47 pm
But the home system is likely a big pile of nonsense, too. (A "tin ear," not a golden one.)
Or if it was built by Apple...
TheFarmer - Saturday, 22 December, 2012, at 11:05:59 pm
The "excitement" will actually be the anxiety of wondering if your destination is in the same city or state as where it thinks you want to go ;-)
Re: Or if it was built by Apple...
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 23 December, 2012, at 12:10:04 pm
if it will pair successfully with your car. Gads the trouble people are having with the latest iOS and the smart infotainment systems in some cars (Toyota for one).
Actually
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 9:47:38 pm
As one who now drives a car with regenerative braking (Prius), it is trivial to get used to and trivial to drive. A few noises you get used to as it shifts from regen to real braking for the last few feet but think how long the brake pads will last with most of your braking being by an electric motor that shifts to being a generator. And yes, on a long steep downhill you can watch the battery recharge on the display. You think a TIP was bad, wait till you drive a CVT. Actually very functional and works to keep the engine in its most economical range. Besides, I don't need paddle shifters, I have a PWR (Power) button to reprogram my throttle response for me. Pedro wouldn't be able to sell his ECU reprogramming.

Get used to it, it all is coming.

Filled up on $2.999 gas today. 40.7 MPG for the first 1500 miles. Oil change next week, dealer charges $27.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login