Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
After clicking on "Read Full Review" there will be another link for two road tests, one includes a video of the dynamic tests (and no stupid soundtrack obscuring everything aural.) There's more useful information here than I've seen anywhere else.
Enhanced by consumer (owner) reviews, too, with good observations.
The test with the yellow car has, one place in the body text, an incorrect hp figure for the base model.
2013 Boxster

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 06:44PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Edmunds reviews, etc, most comprehensive I've yet seen
Roger987 - Thursday, 3 January, 2013, at 7:01:45 pm
Thanks for posting.

To date, the only negatives are poor rear visibility, golf bag no longer fits in rear trunk, and maybe the electric parking brake. (Laz, how do you feel about the latter?)

OTOH, it DOES everything better, has an apparently richer looking interior, a better ride, and more room in the cabin. And to many (most), it's better-looking.

Guenter, DON'T READ THIS: I wouldnt necessarily balk at the idea of owning PDK (and I`ve ALWAYS had a manual transmission in anything even remotely resembling a sports car).
Roger987
Thanks for posting.

To date, the only negatives are poor rear visibility, golf bag no longer fits in rear trunk, and maybe the electric parking brake. (Laz, how do you feel about the latter?)

OTOH, it DOES everything better, has an apparently richer looking interior, a better ride, and more room in the cabin. And to many (most), it's better-looking.

Guenter, DON'T READ THIS: I wouldnt necessarily balk at the idea of owning PDK (and I`ve ALWAYS had a manual transmission in anything even remotely resembling a sports car).

I agree about the poor rear visibility, specially with the mesh windstop in place - but then, Pedro does have a solution to that one. Even though I enjoy golf, I don't mind taking some clubs out of the bag to make it work. At least I could enjoy my drive to the golf club. On the other hand, I can't use my golf clubs to carve out some nice mountain roads. smiling smiley

OK, so I was a rebel and did READ THIS, Roger. smiling smiley My view hasn't changed. I think the PDK is a fantastic piece of engineering and I'm sure it can shift faster than I can. It's a huge leap from the tip. I have no problem with it being in a Boxster - as long as it's not in my Boxster.

As I've said before, to me, driving the PDK is like having a puréed steak dinner. Just spoon it in and swallow. No need to cut up the meat and chew it. Personally, I savour the meat, the potatoes and vegetables, something to enjoy without rushing. You get the nutrition either way, I just prefer the more enjoyable way of getting it. Others' experience might vary.
Have gotten used to the parking brake, but
Laz - Friday, 4 January, 2013, at 2:40:34 pm
I still don't care for its operation: to activate it, one pushes it forward like a foot operated one would be, but it's operated by hand. A lever type hand brake is activated by pulling, which is opposite of the electric brake. It's not good that it can't be released with the car's ignition off, either. It makes an interesting noise however, sounding like an electric screwdriver. I imagine there's a worm drive or two (one in each hub?) along the path.

Poor visibility with the top down?
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 3 January, 2013, at 8:56:16 pm
Is that real? Why?
Re: Poor visibility with the top down?
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 4 January, 2013, at 10:38:03 am
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
Is that real? Why?

I think there are two reasons for the poorer top down visibility. Some people have felt be cause of the slightly higher belt line (top of the door and top of the back trunk and lowered roof), it "feels" a little more enclosed.

The rear visibility is decreased, again because of the higher trunk and roof in down position, but more importantly, the bigger, thicker roll bars which block a little more of your rearward and rear quarter passenger side vision compared to the 987. I do think that properly adjusted exterior mirrors, along with a regular 360, to know what's going on around you, can help negate some of this.
GiO describes the situation pretty well...
Laz - Friday, 4 January, 2013, at 3:13:39 pm
Straight back visibility is fine, and so is looking back with the driver's side mirror. It's the 3/4 view that is very compromised; a combination of the roll bar, and, mostly the high rear deck. In many circumstances one can see only the greenhouses of cars; not the main bodies. Keep in mind it's not just a matter of raising the seat: there's the seat to driving control relationship to maintain, even with the tilt/telescope steering wheel. The passenger mirror has to be adjusted just so, and even then it's a compromise as to how much you need to see just to the right rear of the car and how much more towards the "4 o'clock" view. I've mentioned it before: coming into a merge from the left is a test of faith and probability. "Mi faccio il segno della croce!" My present method at a certain local intersection is to point the car almost to the perpendicular of the right side road, so as to see through the passenger window. Fortunately, there's a stop sign for my road, which gives me time to assess the situation. Having the top down ameliorates some of the 3/4 view problem by virtue of allowing for a bit more included visual angle from the passenger flank to the outside of the roll hoop.
Being that the longer wheelbase allowed more passenger room, the seat is positioned more forward in relation to the roll bar than in the 986/987. I think this is part of the 3/4 interference issue, but I need to get some time in my old 986 to be sure. From where I sit (literally) the rear window extends slightly past where passenger roll bar "hoop" (really a trapezoid) begins, so it's not so much at fault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 03:18PM by Laz. (view changes)
Even as a black, somewhat matte mesh, it does cause some secondary reflection: you can see clouds in the sky going by. Pedro's panel has some secondary reflection from either the dash vent silver trim (or the center console gear shift boot trim; can't recall which right now.) The effect is slight, so the plastic holds a big advantage. One can order one or two options that will use the exterior color for the otherwise chrome bits, and/or use leather. If the exterior is relatively dark, it might help. One option is a few hundred bucks, and the other, more extensive one is over a grand. Now knowing this, I don't think I would've ordered either option anyway.
As I've posted before, the other issues with the mesh piece is that its frame constricts the angle of view a bit more, and it makes "objects" (read that LE identification) indistinct. The mesh might, (as Pedro's definitely does,) attenuate the closed top single window open beat tone phenomenon, but I stopped using it even before Pedro's product was available.

Yes, could be, but also see my "GiO..." comment, above. *NM*
Laz - Saturday, 5 January, 2013, at 3:19:02 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 03:38PM by Laz. (view changes)
It really is a pretty comprehensive test, with both models being driven. Based on the test drives I had back in June, there isn't anything in their test results that I would disagree with.

They summed it up pretty well. If you're buying this car for what it's intended - carve up the curves with the sun shining down on you, it sets the standard.

I don't really see the long list of options (some pretty expensive) as being a negative. Most of the more expensive options you really don't need to fully enjoy this car for its intended purpose. As examples, all leather, power seats $5K, infotainment $4K, PDK (I know, I know), $3K. There are $12K on three items that are OK if you want those luxury items, but don't do anything to make it a better driver's car. Some might even feel that at least one of those items could detract from the driving experience. winking smiley

Great review.
To go along with your steak analogy--po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. Or, to each his own on PDK. Same with power seats. If you have multiple drivers, it's nice that each has their own key and memory settings for the seats and the side-view mirrors. This, too, can "enhance" the driving experience as the seat and mirrors are in your most comfortable positions, so you don't have to constantly adjust them to find the best position as you are carving up those curves. I like my car to be like the baby bear's chair, just right.
db997S
To go along with your steak analogy--po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. Or, to each his own on PDK. Same with power seats. If you have multiple drivers, it's nice that each has their own key and memory settings for the seats and the side-view mirrors. This, too, can "enhance" the driving experience as the seat and mirrors are in your most comfortable positions, so you don't have to constantly adjust them to find the best position as you are carving up those curves. I like my car to be like the baby bear's chair, just right.

My point was that, yes, Boxsters can be much more expensive than they used to be, but mainly that is because they offer things like the power seats for those who want them. I don't see anything wrong with having them in your car. It's just that then, people shouldn't complain about how expensive the Boxster has become.

I have no difficulty manually adjusting my driver's seat to the "baby bear's chair" position. It's something I do before I start driving. Nothing wrong with having it done automatically either. It just depends on personal preferences and what you're willing to pay for.
Yeah, I'm afraid if I ever go back to a Boxster down the road as my retirement gift, it may be too pricey (nobody uses watches anymore). If that's the case, I'll just keep my classic (by that time anyway), last of the independently built Porsche 911.
and when the budget allows, I'm bringing my Rolex to their HQ in Manhattan for an oil change (yes, an oil change) etc.

And a watch rebuild
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 4 January, 2013, at 2:49:46 pm
ranks right up there with an M96 rebuild in terms of the relationship of the rebuild cost to the purchase price of the original. I have a sentimental value watch that needs rebuilding every 20 years and I guarantee it costs more than the watch originally cost. Makes no economic sense. Priceless.
Guys, you're on a highway to the...
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 4 January, 2013, at 5:32:10 pm

without a PDK smoking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: More Obstructed Rear View
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 5 January, 2013, at 5:10:30 pm
To those who have made a study of this problem, so you see Porsche doing something in next year's or later's model years to fix it?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: More Obstructed Rear View
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 5 January, 2013, at 6:14:01 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
To those who have made a study of this problem, so you see Porsche doing something in next year's or later's model years to fix it?

I doubt that they would make a change until at least the first "refresh" as it would mean a redesign of the rollbars. As for the higher beltline. That would take a major redesign, so you might have to hang onto your 987.5 for a while yet, Kevin.
It looks like the bottom of the rollbar space is even with the top of the lowered roof.

[farm9.staticflickr.com]

I'm only working from pictures, but it looks like the rear convertible window comes pretty low and needs an attaching point. Do you think it could be made bigger? Probably easier to see when you've got the real thing in your driveway.

[farm8.staticflickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 11:02AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
part of the roof below the window cuts off even more view than the bottom of the space between the rollbars.

Both cars I drove had the roof down, so I wasn't familiar with the view out the back with the roof up.
at about the same height, the bar is so much closer to one's head, visually it approximately aligns with the rear deck, but the window bottom visually is still about 50 mm or so above the deck. (I.e, about the same one sees from the outside with the top up.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login